Advice Needed: Which Spacers to Add to RE 3.5" Kit to Clear 37's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice Needed: Which Spacers to Add to RE 3.5" Kit to Clear 37's?

TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/ March Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATEFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRI

Unread 04-14-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Advice Needed: Which Spacers to Add to RE 3.5" Kit to Clear 37's?

For those who have experience with it, I need a bit of input.

I'm looking to add coil spacers to my existing RE 3.5" kit to clear my new Mickey Thompson 37's while retaining my factory flares.

Right now I'm torn between RE 0.75" spacers and RE 1.75" spacers. As it stands, I estimate my 3.5" suspension kit is netting me about 2.5" after the addition of front and rear bumpers, tire carrier and winch. Measured from the ground to the bottom lip of the fender, tape measure held midline of the wheel, I'm at 40 1/4" front and rear. I have a speaker/storage box in the rear of the Jeep 90% of the time that's making the Jeep sit level.

So, what do I go with? 0.75" or 1.75"?

I plan to add extended stainless brake lines front and rear. I'm also currently running Bilstein 5100s that should have no problem extending to whichever size spacer I choose. I'll be doing a sleeve and gusset kit on the front axle prior to putting the tires on too.

Pics would help if you have them. Thanks in advance!!

tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
ncb

Adding spacers will give more ride height but won't help with clearance at full compression (flex). Are you running the correct length bump stop for 37s and stock flares?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How much lift do you have compared to the stock dimensions below?

Increasing ride height/lift alone will not keep your tires from rubbing. With stock flares and no body lift, you'll need around 3"-4" of bump stop to keep the 37" tires from rubbing. If your properly bump stopped for the tires but your springs have sagged, your issue will not be the tires rubbing. Your issue will be hitting the bump stops too soon (not enough compression for comfortable driving). If your tires are rubbing and not hitting the bump stops you don't need more lift, you need longer bump stops.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

I understand the idea of bump stops too. Just hadn't gotten that far yet. I'll take some measurements this afternoon. Thanks for the replies!
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Express 3.5" kits only come with 2" bump stops front and rear which are on the low side for 35's. If you have only the included 2" bump stops, your going to need to add a little more to keep your 37's from rubbing. Determine the amount of actual lift you have now and choose the coil spacer size needed to put you back to the 3.5"-4" lift height (to cover the 3"-4" bump stop needed for 37's).

Your also going to want to check your shock clearance. Your going to want to either get a longer collapsed length shocks to better match the longer bump stops or adjust mounts to get the full stroke out of your current shocks. You can raise the rear lower mount to accommodate the rear shocks and gain some ground clearance. You can get a lower front mount that rotates the shock mount 180 and raises it about 3/4". If the 3/4" isn't enough you'll have to get new shocks for the front if you want to use the full stroke of your shock.

Which RE kit do you have?
Standard Coil Kit, Super-Flex Short Arm, or Extreme Duty Long Arm?

Which Bilstein 5100 shocks do you have?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

OK, did the measurements.

Shock measurement was 22 1/4" Spring was 13 1/8".

According to that I have about 3 3/4" of lift??
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So lift height is not the issue.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
duneslider
Web Wheeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just as a reference, with 2.5" bump stops my 35" BFG KM2 rub the stock fenders. I probably need at least 3" bump stops to prevent rubbing. For 37's and stock flares you will need at least 4" bump stops I would think. IF you have flat flares you probably don't need that much bump. You have plenty of lift for 37's.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't want to get into bump stops and replacing shocks/altering shock mounts, consider complementing your suspension with flat flares and/or a 1"-1.25" Body lift.

Do you have adjustable control arms and track bars or brackets?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Honestly I like the look of the stock flares with the larger tires, so I'd like to retain them if possible. Plus flat fenders just aren't in the budget right now. I do have adjustable lower control arms in the front as well as an adjustable track bar.

The bump stops on there appear to be about 2 1/2". They came with the RE 3.5" standard kit when I bought it. Anyone have any recommendations for longer bump stops?
Unread 04-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I understand, I like the look of the factory flares also.

A 1"-1.25" Body Lift is easy on the budget, will decrease the needed bump stop (more in the rear than flat flares), won't effect the suspension, and will increase your ride height (something you wanted to do with spacers).

Rubicon Express says their 3.5" Standard coil Lift comes with 2" front bump stops and 2" rear bump stop pad.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Eh, now another debate; Coil spring spacers with longer bump stops vs body lift. Likely around the same cost. I'm just not huge on the body lift idea. I'll have the front axle out to do the sleeve and gusset install so installation of spacers and bump stops aren't a bother to me. On the other hand the body lift looks pretty darn easy to do on the JK. Not so much on my old rusted out '91YJ I used to have...
Unread 04-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #13
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A few things to consider during your debate...

While your considering cost, the cost (the cost to purchase the parts) of a 1"-1.25" body lift or coil spacers and extended bump stops will be about the same (close enough not to nit pick). A Rough Country 1.25" Body lift will cost $100 to $140 depending on what you have (2 door/ 4 door, auto/standard) and your done. You won't need any other parts to make the body lift work with your current setup. You may still need to extend the bump stops a little (1" or less, hockey pucks are cheap).

Coil spacer and Bump stops on the other hand may start a domino effect that will require additional components or replacing existing components. Adding a 1" spacer will put you in the 4.5"- 5" lift range (on short/mid arms) which is well into benefiting from if not needing a front track bar bracket and drag link flip to address your steering and handling. Along with your steering geometry, your suspension geometry will also be effected along with your drive line angles. There will be a finer line between being able to adjust your caster and pinion angle to find a balance between the two. With an additional 1.5"-2" of extended bump stop, your going to have to/need to/want to address your shocks. If they are the correct length for your current 2" bump stops, adding another 2" will mean you will be wasting 2"+ stoke (maybe more depending on which shocks you have). The rear is cheap and easy enough to address but still an additional cost. For the front, you can get the 180 flip bracket that moves your mount 3/4" higher but there will still be wasted shock stroke or replace the shocks with shocks long enough to match up to your new bump stop length. Now that you have your shocks and bump stops matched, your going to have to accommodate the additional droop from raising the rear lower mounts and replacing the front shocks or adding the lower bracket. This is going to run into brake lines/brackets and front Drive shaft if you don't all ready have them.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 04-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've got an lj, but was just poking around the jk section. Can't you just cut the stock flares and add some u-channeled rubber to the flares to make them look decent? You get flat and clean for free depending on how you value your time.
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #15
duneslider
Web Wheeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

You don't need more lift to fit 37's. You just need to prevent the tires from eating the fenders. So, bump stops are all you need. You should be able to do bump stops for less money and less work than any of the other options. Is there a reason you really want to be at 4.5" of lift?
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.