Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #61
lordmaniac
2012 JK Wrangler 

if we are still talking about the 2012 JK's ...well lol im a stick guy too and my legs are pretty man leee but all im hearing is STICKS....why ...um im a jeep purist lol or its what ive always drove well why not get both ?? i did 2012 JK auto /stick .... i do not regret my pick ...AUTO .for the WIN its not your moma's auto this thing is amazing on the trail and off i was really laying in bed awake at night asking the same ? as a matter of fact ...AUTO or STICK ? was my very first post in these fourms . i dont think i got any reply's to it so i had to go at it alone lol it was a hard thing to decide ...real hard . but im very happy with the auto .SO if you are a Stick guy ? do yourself a favor Drive them both

Unread 07-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #62
Hieneken49
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 12' Stick, this is the first manual vehicle i have ever owned. I will own more in the future. I love it.

That being said, it takes some practice to drive offroad, it def puts a whole new game on offroading.
Hieneken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #63
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmaniac
if we are still talking about the 2012 JK's ...well lol im a stick guy too and my legs are pretty man leee but all im hearing is STICKS....why ...um im a jeep purist lol or its what ive always drove well why not get both ?? i did 2012 JK auto /stick .... i do not regret my pick ...AUTO .for the WIN its not your moma's auto this thing is amazing on the trail and off i was really laying in bed awake at night asking the same ? as a matter of fact ...AUTO or STICK ? was my very first post in these fourms . i dont think i got any reply's to it so i had to go at it alone lol it was a hard thing to decide ...real hard . but im very happy with the auto .SO if you are a Stick guy ? do yourself a favor Drive them both
Proofreading goes a long way.
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #64
lordmaniac
2012 JK Wrangler 

lol
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #65
usafsgtmike
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have owned an 07 JKU, a 09 JK Rubi and now a 12 JKU Rubi all sticks. I loved all of them except for this new 12 JKU, this transmission is not set-up correctly for this rig. I have 13000 mi on the clock and I guess I am use to it, but I still don't like the feel. Look at all the posts in this thread for people that own '12s and have sticks and they all have qualms with them of some kind, if I could go back I would get the auto!
2012 Red JKU Rubi
usafsgtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #66
fltsfshr
2012 JK Wrangler 

The manual transmission is the worst matched POS I've ever owned. The gears are too long, the rear end too high. It shifts like an old ford. The electronics don't match the manual, they're made for an automatic. the clutch sucks as it's competing with all those wonderful electronic fuel saving technologies.

At the least get the 3.73 gears that will help a little but not much. To be honest this is the 4th jeep I've owned and I'll probably never buy another new one or at least another one with a manual tranny. It's a complete engineering mismatch to say the least. I don't need a jeep with the aerodynamics of a brick but a drive train that tops out at 249 mph without the ability to get it there.

fltsfshr
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #67
usafsgtmike
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltsfshr View Post
The manual transmission is the worst matched POS I've ever owned. The gears are too long, the rear end too high. It shifts like an old ford. The electronics don't match the manual, they're made for an automatic. the clutch sucks as it's competing with all those wonderful electronic fuel saving technologies.

At the least get the 3.73 gears that will help a little but not much. To be honest this is the 4th jeep I've owned and I'll probably never buy another new one or at least another one with a manual tranny. It's a complete engineering mismatch to say the least. I don't need a jeep with the aerodynamics of a brick but a drive train that tops out at 249 mph without the ability to get it there.

fltsfshr
I have the 4.10s in mine and I still think it's a POS, does great on the highway though
2012 Red JKU Rubi
usafsgtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #68
mikejku

I factory ordered with manual. 3.73 gearing. With manual I get 17.5 mpg around town and 23 if I set the cruise control at 75mph on interstate. As far as offroad goes, it gets tricky at times, takes practice but adds to the experience. When I want to crawl I set it to 4L and it will go anywhere I want it to. I've done a lot of ATV off roading manual and automatic. With automatic I find myself bored after a while. With manual it's a blast the entire time. I did 100+ miles of expedition camping last week and never had a dull moment.

Side note, research Jeep TSB's on the '12 manual transmissions. You might want to wait for this ***** storm to blow over.
mikejku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #69
BigCanoe

I test drove a couple with the stick, I dont care for it. And I always drive stick in my past cars (Mustang, Miata, etc). I taught my son to drive stick because I think its important. That said, the stick in the JK just doesnt feel precise like I am used to. It flops around I was always unsure if I was going to be putting it in 6th or reverse, just mentally, it felt off to me. So I opted for the auto, and am very happy with my choice. No offense to the manual guys, I went in wanting one, came out with the auto!
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #70
JKatfish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
I test drove a couple with the stick, I dont care for it. And I always drive stick in my past cars (Mustang, Miata, etc). I taught my son to drive stick because I think its important. That said, the stick in the JK just doesnt feel precise like I am used to. It flops around I was always unsure if I was going to be putting it in 6th or reverse, just mentally, it felt off to me. So I opted for the auto, and am very happy with my choice. No offense to the manual guys, I went in wanting one, came out with the auto!
X2. I did the same and wanted the stick which they had, but ordered the auto instead and never looked back.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #71
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltsfshr View Post

fltsfshr

Couldn't have said it better. Drive-by-wire throttle and manual trans. don't go together well at all. It's very annoying trying to modulate the throttle on this thing to creep slowly into the driveway in reverse, or slowly up a trail hill in 1st. Just annoying. And the deep gearing of the trans, combined with the very long throws makes this thing feel like a dump truck.

I've been driving manuals for almost 20 years, and currently there are 3 vehicles in my driveway with sticks, and I am very lukewarm about the JKU 6-speed. Some days I like it, some days I hate it. The only thing I can honestly say is that I do see MPGs improvement with the stick.

From now on, everything I own will be automatic.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #72
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just bought a '13 Rubicon and they have changed the way the auto trans functions yet again. Used to be on the '12 if I left it in the indicated third gear or others it simply wouldn't shift above that gear after you had slowed. Now it sticks in the lowest gear that it automatically shifted down to. I had the indicator in third then stopped for a stop sigh, it would not shift above first without bumping the shifter. It is like a manual mode and you can watch the gear selector number count down on the dash as you slow without touching the shifter. I have not fully explored it and since they no longer supply you with an operators manual I'll need to play with it some more.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #73
BigCanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
I just bought a '13 Rubicon and they have changed the way the auto trans functions yet again. Used to be on the '12 if I left it in the indicated third gear or others it simply wouldn't shift above that gear after you had slowed. Now it sticks in the lowest gear that it automatically shifted down to. I had the indicator in third then stopped for a stop sigh, it would not shift above first without bumping the shifter. It is like a manual mode and you can watch the gear selector number count down on the dash as you slow without touching the shifter. I have not fully explored it and since they no longer supply you with an operators manual I'll need to play with it some more.
I want this in my 12 darn it!
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #74
E8USMCRET

I'm in the process of ordering a 2013 Rubicon 2dr. I'm on the fence with the auto/stick decision. I drove a late 70's CJ as my duty vehicle in the Marines. I've owned numerous standard trans 70's era Datsuns, Toyotas and even a 68 Ford F100 with "three on the tree".

I recently helped a guy who's starter went out and pushed him so he could pop the clutch and off he went. He told me " try that with an automatic". I guess each trans has it's pros/cons.

I think I'll go for the 6 sp when it's all said and done. They say it's a natural theft device as most punks today can't drive one.
E8USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #75
jbaubry
2013 JK Wrangler 

Test drove a 2k13 Sahara Unlimited with the 6 speed manual! I'll have to make another thread about it but just to let ya know. It had not driven a manual transmission since 1997.

I had fun like a kid shifting the Jeep and no stall during my test drive... Except when I parked it at the end and went into reverse... Everything went fine up to the last second when I forgot it I was driving a manual and forgot about it. I stalled it right in it's place! lol.

Anyway, don't worry. The Wrangler is super easy to be driven with a manual! Go for it and save a few $$$...
jbaubry is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.