Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #46
RyanE5
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've had two wranglers before this with the 4.0 and a manual and the low end torque was great for offroading, no matter the gear/tire size. On my '12 JK there doesn't seem to be the low end torque of the other motor and that may make rock crawling a little more tough if you don't get the Rubicon with the 4.10 and 4:1. I do look down on those who get automatics, but it's still up to you.

Unread 06-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #47
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkahn View Post
Manual Drivers -- For those that like control in their life. They are the people who own businesses, become wealthy because they know how to control their destiny, and enjoy making things, wrenching on their own Jeep, they believe they control the outcome of their life and that they choose the trail it ends up on and control the flow of traffic while they are in 1st gear letting 20 car lengths in front of them so that they don't have to stop, neutral, 1st, stop neutral, x40 -- They also have great families because they control the outcome of their children and wife in order to make perfect harmony in the home.

Automatic Drivers -- They have no control over anything -- They are typically employees, they are told what to do all their lives, they let life drive them, they believe that their life is merely a rollercoaster and that it goes at whatever speed is up ahead...

Take control of your life -- Get a stick.

Been driving a stick since 17 - and haven't turned back... except 3 months when I had an '09 JKU -- What a dud -- Jeeps are made for those control freaks... I feel like I have a Jeep with a stick, even though it has A/C, Satellite Radio, heated mirrors, and cup holders... arghh... CJs are the dream!
Wow! what a bunch of horse dung.....

To the OP; Ive had both and prefer auto.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #48
BigRedRubicon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrubiconlj
wow! What a bunch of horse dung.....

To the op; ive had both and prefer auto.
x2
BigRedRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #49
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredrubicon

x2
x3
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #50
Fellstar
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove

x3
x4
2012 Rubicon - ACE Eng. Rock Sliders, Rockhard4x4 Full Front Bumper, SmittyBilt XRC8, Level 8 Strike 5 16x8.5's wrapped in 315/75-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 3" Teraflex coil lift with shock adapters, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier Hinge, Teraflex Exhaust Spacers. 1/2" coil spacer up front, 3/4" coil spacer in the rear.
Fellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #51
SamlautRanger

I have a manual. Had only Autos before. But, spent the last year working in Cambodia and had a manual 4x4 Ranger. Got use to driving the manual and missed it, so opted for Manual in my Rubicon. Plus it was a $1000 cheaper.

To be honest, the Rubicon manual is not as smooth as the Ford Rangers. But, in many ways reminds me of the clanky manuals on the old Army Jeeps i have used. But, I enjoy driving a manual and I think it is much safer as well.
SamlautRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #52
floridajpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

All you Manual or Nothing people need to research a little because the majority of Compitition Rock Crawlers out there use AUTO Trannies. They give way more control off road than the manual tranny does.
floridajpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #53
John2453

I've heard so many good things about the auto but opted for a manual instead. A friend of mine bought a '12 JKU Rubi with an auto and he loves it and he's a manual trans guy. The manual takes some getting used to before you can drive it smoothly. I have an '09 Camry with a manual trans and it's a *lot* different in every respect. I'm not used to a 6-spd and kept thinking I was going to put the trans into reverse when I was shifting into 6th. I drive a fair amount of heavy traffic (I-405 in SoCal) and the light clutch makes it easy. I've driven a number of 4x4s with automatics and sticks and I prefer manual gear boxes. There's less to go wrong and it's more fun for me. My only concern is if I'm out in the middle of nowhere and break my leg. It'll be a challenge driving out with a manual trans.

Don't let the cost of the auto trans influence your decision. If you have to worry about $1400 over the life of the vehicle or the minor difference in fuel economy, you have other issues you need to address first. Go out and drive both and see which you like better. Don't be put off by the quirkiness in shifting (long clutch pedal throw, long shifter throw compared to a car, etc); you'll quickly adapt after you driving it for a week.

FYI, I can heel/toe with the Jeep which I can't seem to do in the Camry. Who knew?

Unless there's a history of failure with one type of trans, get what you like. I bet you'll be happy with either.
John2453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #54
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellstar View Post
x4

BwahahahahAhaha....

The reality of it is that people that don't agree with me are obviously wrong.

Thats by story and I'm sticking to it.

The REAL debate is whether or not to use halogen blinker fluid....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #55
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
It takes a man to switch over to the auto and admit that the manual is for kids who don’t know any better.
It's hard to beat an automatic no matter what you're driving if maximum prowess is the only factor. I drive sports cars and wouldnt go with out a 6 speed. However, the way things are going I doubt there will be many avail in the next 5 years, everybody is going to dual clutch systems.

Given all that useless info I think you are more in touch with your vehicle in a manual however I do believe an auto would outperform it.
Orange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #56
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I was a manual guy from the day I started driving and up to the day when I bought my first JK (’08) I wouldn’t be caught dead with an auto. We’ll for various reasons I decided to give an auto a try and was so glad I did. There is a reason that people have been switching over to the auto for off roading for years.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #57
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajpr View Post
All you Manual or Nothing people need to research a little because the majority of Compitition Rock Crawlers out there use AUTO Trannies. They give way more control off road than the manual tranny does.
Yes...b/c what they do in those comps will be exactly the same as what your average guy is going to tackle off road. I hear that argument every time this comes up. And sure...if I was building a competition rock buggy...I'd go auto.

Otherwise, it's a personal preference. I prefer a manual in a Jeep. You want to run an auto...go for it.
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #58
Cosmobull
2012 JK Wrangler 

Every Jeep I've owned has been a manual. So when I orded my 2012 JKUR it only seemed right if it was too. But I have to say I really did like the 5sp auto of the one I test drove!!
Cosmobull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #59
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Manual
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #60
Bengals1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Autos might be more practical, but you can't beat the fun factor of a manual. Manual all the way!
Bengals1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.