Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Deuce View Post
Manual or turn in your man card.
Well if you flew F15's you'd feel secure in your manhood and not have to bling the jeep with 20 spinners or a manual.

Seriously, the a/t's of today are superior to any manual. I've been rowing gears for 38 years, I think i can get along just fine with an AT that gets as good mileage.

73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkahn View Post
Manual Drivers -- For those that like control in their life. They are the people who own businesses, become wealthy because they know how to control their destiny, and enjoy making things, wrenching on their own Jeep, they believe they control the outcome of their life and that they choose the trail it ends up on and control the flow of traffic while they are in 1st gear letting 20 car lengths in front of them so that they don't have to stop, neutral, 1st, stop neutral, x40 -- They also have great families because they control the outcome of their children and wife in order to make perfect harmony in the home.

Automatic Drivers -- They have no control over anything -- They are typically employees, they are told what to do all their lives, they let life drive them, they believe that their life is merely a rollercoaster and that it goes at whatever speed is up ahead...

Take control of your life -- Get a stick.

Been driving a stick since 17 - and haven't turned back... except 3 months when I had an '09 JKU -- What a dud -- Jeeps are made for those control freaks... I feel like I have a Jeep with a stick, even though it has A/C, Satellite Radio, heated mirrors, and cup holders... arghh... CJs are the dream!
Gee, I guess I will tell my 100 + employees to go home. Obviously I cannot possibly manage them.

Quit making excuses. If you like to row gears, do it. That's why it's called "Your Jeep" and not "My Jeep".
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Gee, I guess I will tell my 100 + employees to go home. Obviously I cannot possibly manage them.

Quit making excuses. If you like to row gears, do it. That's why it's called "Your Jeep" and not "My Jeep".
He's just having fun...it was funny.

Get what turns your crank.

I had the TDI Jetta with the DSG Auto Trans. Most advanced Transmission in the world and I hated it.

I really don't think you can put one above the other, they both have their uses, and they both work.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #34
luckylu
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
How did the manual transmission create a "rough ride"???
I've been driving manuals my whole life, but the manual on the 2012 is the first one that gave me whiplash every time I changed gears. At first I thought it was just me, but I've discovered a lot of threads on here of people saying the same thing. Anyway, I think it's great now with the 35" tires.
luckylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #35
ozjeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

I love driving standard and just wouldn't feel right owning a wrangler with an automatic. Was an easy choice for me.
Unread 05-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #36
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

It can depend on which version of Jeep you get and what you do to it. If you get a Rubicon, you can crawl slow enough and with enough control that the Manual will not be an issue. If you're in a non Rubi, it can get a tiny bit dicey and you might have to slip the clutch a bit. This is only in rock crawling situations, any normal trail running, and it's a complete non issue.
I have a JK Unlimited non Rubicon and plan on regearing soon.
I love manual, just my preference, we started driving standards at a very early age.
If I were to be stacked up in traffic alot, I think that would be the biggest reason to go with the estrogen soaked wussy transmission.

Lots of people have trouble with the Jeep manual transmissions, but then again, not everyone gets to be an astronaut.....someone has to work the window at McDonalds when I want a combo meal.
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #37
nowandthen

2014 JK Wrangler 

Manual all the way for me. I live in a city and don't mind shifting in traffic, in fact I enjoy it. Automatics are boring to me, push the skinny pedal, push the square pedal, yawn. Shifting the gears gives me something to do. Never regretted owning a manual. If and when I sell the TJ for a JK I will definitely get a manual.
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #38
JKatfish
2012 JK Wrangler 

This my take on this issue. Just my opinion. I love driving manuals, but have never owned a Jeep. All my new cars were manuals. I test drove a 3.8 manual, thot not too bad, its a Jeep, right? Then I heardthat the new 3.6 was coming so I waited. I was definitely going to get the manual if I got the 2 dr, maybe consider the auto if I got the 4 dr. Test drove the 2 dr manual and it was a Jeep manual!! I've owned mostly 4 cyl sports car, but had a Shelby Mustang, 4 sp manual, 300zx 5 sp manual, and some econo cars in manual. Most of the newer manuals shifted with a flick of the wrist, esp my current Miata. Well, when I drove the manual 2 dr, what the heck?!? The clutch engaged near the top, the throttle was touchy and slightly delayed and I had to really move my upper body to shift, esp around the city during the test drive. I may as well go to 24 hr Fitness! LOL! Then I drove the auto, also in 3.73. Two blocks later, I knew this was what I wanted. The new auto had enough hp to not really need the control of a manual and I wasnt planning on doing any heavy duty off roading. No dealer had what I wanted in stock, so I ordered one and dont regret the decision. On the contrary, I would have been miserable if I had gotten the manual! I think there are manuals and then there are Jeep manuals, as they are like no others out there. If you must get a manual...get one! Just test drive both for what you will be using it for. its your Jeep!

Be curious to know how many manual owners regretted their choice vs auto owners who regretted theirs....
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #39
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I guess it's all relative.
I have only owned a couple automatics and none of them were by choice. Most of my manuals had so much play in the tranny, the gear position was more of a general suggestion than an actual location. I owed a 1981 AMC Eagle 2 door that was the most fun vehicle I had ever owned to that point. I could move the stick around in a circle probably 12" in diameter while it was in gear.
If you're used to driving Porsche's and Lamborghini's, yeah. the Jeep manual is going to be sloppy. Based on my experience, the Jeep is nearly a sports car.
The "slop" is intentional detuning. If you ever get your Jeep out on a bumpy road, and I mean REALLY bumpy road....you'll appreciate the play immediately.
They both have their ups and downs...
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #40
h20squirter
2012 JK Wrangler 

manual all the way, never owned a single Jeep that was auto
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #41
gmfcma
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKatfish View Post
Be curious to know how many manual owners regretted their choice vs auto owners who regretted theirs....
I have a 12 Auto and i absolutely do NOT regret it at all, and i can still shift it when needed, the tap shift is very convenient and it holds to the revs pretty high, don't know if it will redline, but i know i pushed it pretty hard and it did not shift to 2nd, just had to see if it was going to upshift anyway
gmfcma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #42
akjeepboy

Im in the same boat here kinda, I have a 01 Cherokee that's auto and have wheeled that for the last 5 years but my new Jk is a stick and hounsly I'm kinda scared to take it on the trail cause I'm afraid of smoking my clutch...
akjeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #43
dmingu001
2012 JK Wrangler 

Manual vs auto

If your new to four wheeling or just a beginner then auto will make you feel a lot mor comfortable and confident. If your seasoned the manual will give you better control. I have owned both and honestly I prefer the stick for off road. Besides its a JEEP Wrangler not a Grand Cherokee! I grew up with jeeps,scouts and land rovers. I didn't t even know that 4x4's had autos until my dad bought a 73 Chevy 1/2 ton. If your burning up clutches your not doing something right. At least with a manual you can get a gear and limp home. Auto goes your sitting until help arrives. Matter of preferences and thousands of opinions on this subject. Let's discuss tires? LOL
dmingu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #44
TxJeepers
2014 JK Wrangler 

blah blah blah
Get what feels right to you, it will be your Jeep
yadda yadda yadda
Opinions are like....
etc etc etc
I've had both in TJ's and now JK's. Both have pro's and con's.

or make your decision like this.
If you are going to put on girly tires (AT's like Duratracs) go with an auto
If you are going to put man tires on (MT's like MT/Rs) go with a manual
TxJeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #45
jeeptrix
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sports cars and Jeeps are the two types of vehicles that should always be manuals, in my opinion.
jeeptrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.