Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #16
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
It takes a man to switch over to the auto and admit that the manual is for kids who donít know any better.
True.

I went into the dealership last year specifically wanting the manual. Ended up leaving with an auto. Haven't really regretted it since.

I've owned a lot of manuals and autos both in my lifetime...but the older you get the more you realize that the advantages to the auto. are superior. Not only is it easier to drive in congested traffic, but it's also easier/safer to drive offroad as well. And the resale value is higher (which is one reason I was able to lease this one so cheap). And with the auto, the parking brake becomes less of an issue. The parking brakes are notorious for not working well on Jeeps..and I feel a LOT more secure with the auto in "park" than I do with a manual just sitting on a hillside in gear with the engine off. I've seen too many run-away vehicles that just popped out of gear. That rarely happens with the auto. And finally...with the auto you don't have to change clutches and related parts every so many miles...not to mention the failures so many people have had with the NSG manuals in these Jeeps.

So at the end of the day...the auto really is the better choice. However, if you just HAVE to have that feeling of control that the manual gives you...by all means buy one.

'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #17
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylu View Post
I got the manual on my 2012. I thought it was the worst transmission EVER. Really rough ride. Then I put 35 inch tires on it, and now I love the transmission. So just my $0.02, but unless you're going to spend all your time in traffic, I say get the manual. Automatics are too boring to drive.

How did the manual transmission create a "rough ride"???
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #18
TheHuntsman
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Same goes for an auto too.
True. You can apply your lipstick while negotiating a steep incline.

Seriously, though. You're absolutely correct. It really comes down to driving style, and personal preference. Autos, especially the ones we're seeing now, have almost completely defeated all the old reasons that people would turn their noses up at them. That holds true for both on and off road performance.

Though there are still a lot of poorly designed transmissions out there. Especially in American cars. Chrysler seems to put a lot of thought into their transmissions that are designed to go off road. I'm not sure how they perform, but at least it's something they actively endeavor to improve upon. You can't say that about very many brands of vehicles, especially domestic ones.
TheHuntsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #19
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, here's my .02 cents.
I just returned from a weekend in Moab that was pretty interesting. I have never really done any rock crawling, so this was a first. I was following a 2011 rubicon which has the 4.10 gearing and I have the 3.73's. Everything was all 4 low on the trail we went on (top of the world) which used to be an easy trail for any decent stock vehicle. Well, now the trail is beat to CRAP and the stock pickups had one hell of a time. Everyone one of them pounded the rocks many, many times and we even had one split differential in the group.
My take on auto vs manual.... If you're going manual and intend to do more than just run trails, regear to 4.10 or lower. The Rubi was able to crawl a little slower than I was giving him more control over the nasty stuff. I banged a couple of times but never scraped and I'm running a bone stock JKU with 285's. (we both had manual tranny's)
Yeah, Auto will give you the ability to chicken out in the middle of an obstacle and restart, but as far as I'm concerned when it comes to actual off road application, there is no real advantage to either once you've dropped to 4.10's.
If you're going to be stacked up in traffic all the time and don't want to hit the gym to get that left leg in shape, then go to an auto.
You also get the really cool "smores' mode" where your jeep randomly bursts into flames with the auto, so that's nice. Keep the marshmallows handy....
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't be a Nancy Boy.

Buy the manual.

Edit - before the whiners get their panties all in a twist, I'm only kidding. Buy what suits you. Autos make offroad much easier, and allow you to focus more on your line and less on throttle/clutch. Personally I like the challenge, but we're all different here. As far as around town - I like shifting, but I can see how nice it would be to continue sipping your coffee as you accellerate.

Buy what suits you - what you will get here, with this question, is 100% biased opinion.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #21
Spike6901

The manual just needs some break in. When I first got mine, I struggled to shift smooth (rough ride) but after about 2k miles, the clutch and stick were broken in and it is pretty darn smooth now. I do whish I could trande in the damn 'wireless' throttle for a good ole cable.

It also has a 'hill assist' function that at first I rolled my eyes about. I mean, what self respecting man cannot handle a hill start with a manual transmission. That is until I discovered the joy of the hill assist. You just stop, put it in gear and take your foot off the brake and the Jeep holds itself in place until you apply an amount of throttle and clutch...cool stuff.

I hate auto's. I am always thinking that I did not want or wanted the tranny to shift or not to.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #22
JKChris
2008 JK Wrangler 

It is all personal preference. I have had manual transmissions my whole life, so I prefer them. Some people prefer the autos. The only real question is, what do you prefer?

I do have another advantage to a manual though... My gf doesn't drive stick, so she never asks to use my Jeep.
JKChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #23
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKChris View Post
It is all personal preference. I have had manual transmissions my whole life, so I prefer them. Some people prefer the autos. The only real question is, what do you prefer?

I do have another advantage to a manual though... My gf doesn't drive stick, so she never asks to use my Jeep.
Schools don't teach the kids how to drive manual, so if you want to keep the teenagers from stealing/asking to drive the Jeep......Manual all the way.
It also seems like you read a story about once a year where some dumba@@ criminal jumps in to steal a vehicle and gets stonewalled by the man pedal....
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #24
JKChris
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Schools don't teach the kids how to drive manual, so if you want to keep the teenagers from stealing/asking to drive the Jeep......Manual all the way.
It also seems like you read a story about once a year where some dumba@@ criminal jumps in to steal a vehicle and gets stonewalled by the man pedal....
Haha... I love it!
JKChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #25
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
...if you want to keep the teenagers from stealing/asking to drive the Jeep......Manual all the way...
Good one and true for the most part.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #26
mountainkahn
2012 JK Wrangler 

Manual Drivers -- For those that like control in their life. They are the people who own businesses, become wealthy because they know how to control their destiny, and enjoy making things, wrenching on their own Jeep, they believe they control the outcome of their life and that they choose the trail it ends up on and control the flow of traffic while they are in 1st gear letting 20 car lengths in front of them so that they don't have to stop, neutral, 1st, stop neutral, x40 -- They also have great families because they control the outcome of their children and wife in order to make perfect harmony in the home.

Automatic Drivers -- They have no control over anything -- They are typically employees, they are told what to do all their lives, they let life drive them, they believe that their life is merely a rollercoaster and that it goes at whatever speed is up ahead...

Take control of your life -- Get a stick.

Been driving a stick since 17 - and haven't turned back... except 3 months when I had an '09 JKU -- What a dud -- Jeeps are made for those control freaks... I feel like I have a Jeep with a stick, even though it has A/C, Satellite Radio, heated mirrors, and cup holders... arghh... CJs are the dream!
mountainkahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

I spend a lot of time last year looking at 4 door Sahara's....with the auto tranny.

After not being able to get what I want (which had a lot to do with the price the dealer was going to give me for my Libby), I've made a 180 degree change. I'm now looking at trading in a different car (my little 5 speed Acura and will keep my Libby) and going with a 2 door sport S...manual.

The point of this? Personal preference. Get what suits you best.

If this is going to be your only vehicle...and you do a lot of "in city" driving....or you have kids in the backseat and you need a free hand to slap them around with.....I would get an auto.

If this is going to be more of a 2nd/3rd vehicle that is a "toy"....get the manual.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

While I like the control, reliability of a manual trans, I really like my auto offroad.

I don't go balls to the wall through mud or rock it crazy to avoid burning it up, but I've followed people up hills and over objects where they had clutches smoking ... all I had to do was press the pedal a little more.

I'm sure I am decreasing the lift of my transmission by wheeling it - guess that's the price I pay. I have a giant transmission cooler and I change the fluid usually every oil change. I don't drive my Jeep enough for it to really make a difference in price ... I spend maybe $25 a year on transmission fluid.
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #29
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Auto. There's only one reason to drive a manual, because you like to row the gears.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkahn View Post
Manual Drivers -- For those that like control in their life. They are the people who own businesses, become wealthy because they know how to control their destiny, and enjoy making things, wrenching on their own Jeep, they believe they control the outcome of their life and that they choose the trail it ends up on and control the flow of traffic while they are in 1st gear letting 20 car lengths in front of them so that they don't have to stop, neutral, 1st, stop neutral, x40 -- They also have great families because they control the outcome of their children and wife in order to make perfect harmony in the home.

Automatic Drivers -- They have no control over anything -- They are typically employees, they are told what to do all their lives, they let life drive them, they believe that their life is merely a rollercoaster and that it goes at whatever speed is up ahead...

Take control of your life -- Get a stick.

Been driving a stick since 17 - and haven't turned back... except 3 months when I had an '09 JKU -- What a dud -- Jeeps are made for those control freaks... I feel like I have a Jeep with a stick, even though it has A/C, Satellite Radio, heated mirrors, and cup holders... arghh... CJs are the dream!
Wow, and all this time I just though a standard was more fun...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.