Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
TacticalJeeper

Advice: 2012-2013 Jeep wrangler unlimited. Auto vs Manual Transmission

Im chris and I'm completely new to jeeps and I have been looking at everything about JEEP. I caught the Jeep bug. I'm 24 and I love VW's. My last car was a 1996 VW Passat VR6 5spd. I love to modify and my Passat looked and preformed amazing (nearly 15k invested in the car). I loved driving the manual but that was in a car and on the street!

Now I'm looking at buying a 2012-2013 jeep wrangler unlimited Sahara or maybe Rubicon. Defiantly a soft top. I waited for the new 3.6l V6 to come out for the increased HP and Torque, plus the better MPG.

I've been test driving every model and transmission. I enjoy the 6spd manual but I have never driven off road in a manual. The hill assist is great. But I like the 5spd auto with tiptronic! I will be driving on the highway and back roads, so lots of shifting. Plus I assume off roading in a auto in 4wd would seem easier. I assume it's more stressful on the manual while off road.

SO I need help with deciding on the transmission. MANUAL VS AUTO. All the info I can get is better!

I plan to make Jeeping and the forum a new life style.

Thanks guys.

TacticalJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
TacticalJeeper

Please?
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
JKq8mod

Personal preference to be honest with you…
For me off-roading should be manual all the way, you have total control of the car and you can decide where and how much to push hard and when to give slack to the engine; in combination with winch “activities” I think manual is the way to go.
Now for city use and everyday drive.. Well auto is the way unless you live in an area with not much traffic.
Bottom line I prefer manual for many reasons but I curse my luck when hit heavy traffic.
JKq8mod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

From what I've heard, Auto is easier for general off-roading and rock crawling. Of course auto will also be better in the city as well... it's just a personal preference really!
Williamlv282 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
BigRedRubicon
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 JKUR w/ auto and it works great on and off road. The hill descent control works great. I had a 74 FJ with a manual tranny and prefer the new auto. You can also shift it manually by bumping the shifter. So far I love it. Haven't driven a 12 with a manual but I've read a lot of people are having problems with it jumping out of gear.
BigRedRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
luckylu
2012 JK Wrangler 

I got the manual on my 2012. I thought it was the worst transmission EVER. Really rough ride. Then I put 35 inch tires on it, and now I love the transmission. So just my $0.02, but unless you're going to spend all your time in traffic, I say get the manual. Automatics are too boring to drive.
luckylu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
elfamiglia
2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum, Chris. Like other posters above, it is your preference. However, it is also depend where you live. I live in the DC area so every hour is a rush hour. Rowing your own paddle does get tired after awhile. I went with an auto gearbox.
elfamiglia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went standard and wish I'd have gotten the auto...if that tells you anything...
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I was a manual only guy and wouldn’t be caught dead in an auto. Then when I bought my ’08 Rubi I did the switch to an auto for various reasons and was so glad I did. This latest Jeep I have is also an auto. The only part I miss about the manual is the downhill engine braking, other than that the manuals are obsolete in my book.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

It all comes down to personal preference.

I just took delivery of a 2012 JK 4dr with an automatic. This is my first automatic Jeep ever, and it's the 17th Jeep I have owned since 1960. Ok, I'm an old timer. I also currently have 2 2004 Wranglers, both stick, one is a Rubicon with 145,000 miles that has been wheeled all over the country, Rubicon Trail, many trips to Moab, and the Colorado mountain passes. The other 04 only has 98,000 miles, both have the original clutches in them.

The only place I've had the 2012 off road so far is the beach and the automatic worked just fine. Hopefully I will get it out to Colorado and Moab soon and then I could make an honest performance comparison automatic vs manual in off road situations.

The point is get what you want, I drove the Rubi to work for a while back in 05, city traffic etc, but I loved my Rubicon so it did not bother me one bit.

If you get what you really want, you will have no regrets!
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
TacticalJeeper

Thanks guy. I need to find a few hills test them both.
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
TheHuntsman
2012 JK Wrangler 

I always prefer manual. What you prefer could be completely different. There are definite advantages to having a manual in an offroad vehicle. The biggest being control over the vehicle, but constant technological advances are closing those gaps every year. Also, for those things to be advantages you have to actually take advantage of them. So in the end, I'd say drive them both and make your choice from there. There's no really "right" or "wrong" answer.
TheHuntsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
F16Deuce

Manual or turn in your man card.
F16Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHuntsman View Post
There are definite advantages to having a manual in an offroad vehicle.
Same goes for an auto too.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Deuce View Post
Manual or turn in your man card.
It takes a man to switch over to the auto and admit that the manual is for kids who don’t know any better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.