Adjustable Control Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Adjustable Control Arms

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Adjustable Control Arms

I'm looking at lift kits, and trying to decide which that I want.

One of the differences between my top two choices right now is Adjustable Control Arms.

Anyone have a few moments to give a brief overview on what is gained by the adjustable control arms over 'regular' ones?

The lift kits I'm debating are:

Clayton 3.5"

Teraflex 3"

Last edited by NaeKid; 04-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Moderator: Approved post
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

the adjustable control arms will allow you to adjust the caster. im not sure what else they will allow but there worth it.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
thebobjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the TF 3" lift and netted well over 3". Without adjustable lower control arms the castor was 1*, once changed to 5* the ride is as different as night and day.

I did however just order the AEV control arm brackets which solve the castor problem along with drive line angle.

Just my thoughts.

thebobjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

thanks.

after a bit of more skillful reading, i realize both the lifts have adjustable arms.

so, the question i probably should have really asked.

for off and on road use, what does caster and pinion type angle adjustments actually do?
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well.....they adjust your caster and pinion angles. You should be concerned about caster angle in the front, which is the angle between a straight line between the king pins and the level road, this is usually tilted with the top slightly behind the bottom king pin giving the wheel "trail." That is, the contact point of the tire is behind or trailing the intercept point of that straight line between the kingpins and the road....this is what causes the wheel to "self center" so to speak and be stable - look it up on google for fancy pictures, etc.
In the rear, the pinion angle is the relative angle of the pinion/yoke and the joint on the rear of the transfer case. Depending upon lift and joint type (Rzeppa or CV) the best pinion angle will vary. With a lift of up to about 3 inches on a 2dr, not much to worry about with stock Rzeppa joints - but over that much lift, one has to be more concerned as the joint angle becomes excessive and can tear or rip the rubber boot. Search is your friend on this...many good posts that go into detail. Just 2.5 cents in this case.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

found this:

Toe, Caster and Camber

pretty thorough for what the effects of everything is.

Tags
clayton lift , lift kits , teraflex lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.