Adjustable Ball Joint & Camber & A bent axle?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Adjustable Ball Joint & Camber & A bent axle??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Adjustable Ball Joint & Camber & A bent axle??

So I did a google search of an adjustable ball joint for the JK and I found another forum that repeatably said that if your camber is out of tolerance you have a bent axle, most likely the 'C' Is this true or just BS?
Couldn't a worn ball joint cause the camber to be out???

Since my camber is out (-0.80 degrees driverside and -1.0degrees passenger side) and I have only wheeled slightly hard on my stock rubicon wheels and tires, I just don't see how I could of bent my axle thus why I am questioning it?

Also I have been doing searches for adjustable ball joints, so if anyone is using a set and they have their feeling/experience with them, I am all ears. Or all eyes in this case.

muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Have you checked your ball joints? They may be bad but if they are tight then yes something is bent.I have never seen a adjustable balljoint for a solid axle like what the JK uses keep it's adjustment or last very long.
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Have you checked your ball joints? They may be bad but if they are tight then yes something is bent.I have never seen a adjustable balljoint for a solid axle like what the JK uses keep it's adjustment or last very long.
Wait I am confused?? I thought if they were bad then there was play in them thus they won't be tight.
Unread 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

He is agreeing with your statement. You are missreading his post.

Tp paraphrase to make it clearer: If your current ball joints are tight, then something is bent.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

Here is the answer...

http://www.power-21.com/federalmogul...D%20VIN%201&t=

Adjustable ball joint by Federal Mogul/Moog...

Part# is K7403..covers several models of Jeep.

Last edited by JLC08JK; 09-04-2010 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Fixed link
Tireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Since I haven't had a chance to see for myself if my ball joints are slightly bad, lets just assume they are fine. I have measured the distance between my level concret floor to the bottom of the front axle tube on the passenger side, I also did the same to the driver side and the measurements are dead on. Which would leave me the 'C' on the each end of the axle. Aside from replacing the whole axle. Is there anything I can do to RECTIFY the small bend. Keep in mind I have a caster on Passenger of -1.0 and on driverside of -.80.
Unread 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttytruckster View Post
Since I haven't had a chance to see for myself if my ball joints are slightly bad, lets just assume they are fine. I have measured the distance between my level concret floor to the bottom of the front axle tube on the passenger side, I also did the same to the driver side and the measurements are dead on. Which would leave me the 'C' on the each end of the axle. Aside from replacing the whole axle. Is there anything I can do to RECTIFY the small bend. Keep in mind I have a caster on Passenger of -1.0 and on driverside of -.80.
If it's only a small bend, sometimes sleeving the axle housing will straighten them back up. Not to mention sleeves help prevent bending.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Ajaxxx
2010 JK Wrangler 

My front axle was at -0.7° of camber on the driver side from the factory. I had everything checked at 200 miles. I'm going to get a 1° upper ball joint to get the camber positive and stop the Jeep from pulling.

IowaAndy
Ajaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttytruckster View Post
I think that you would need to also measure somewhere toward the center of the tube to the floor to determine if the tube is bent.

To picture this, think of a telephone or power cable strung between poles. X distance from each pole it may be the same height off the ground, but it is sagging in the center...

JPK
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am curious in your experience. If your jeep was new why did you get an alignment. I curious because I did some off roading only with the stock wheels and tires and I didn't do any three wheeling. See profile pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxxx View Post
My front axle was at -0.7° of camber on the driver side from the factory. I had everything checked at 200 miles. I'm going to get a 1° upper ball joint to get the camber positive and stop the Jeep from pulling.

IowaAndy
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

So what is wrong.. Is it puling to one side..? ...
What makes you believe the camber is the culprit.. What are the alignment readings (done professionally).. Pulling to one side might have other root causes..!!!!
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

No its not pulling..... I had it alignedby a shop with a brand new laser alignment system...and they said my caster is off.... driver side -.08 and -1.0 passenger side....according to people above..... its either a bad ball joint or something is bent..
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
So what is wrong.. Is it puling to one side..? ...
What makes you believe the camber is the culprit.. What are the alignment readings (done professionally).. Pulling to one side might have other root causes..!!!!
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Camber isn't the culprit, it is the symptom. It is a symptom of a bent axle tube, or C's.

JPK
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, I am confused - is it caster or camber - two different things...the OP is mentioning Camber which is an indication of bent axle, bent C or bad ball joints. Caster is another animal and I think you got them mixed up because they don't sound like caster numbers. there are ball joints that can be installed to correct the camber, but if the angle was caused by a bent axle or C, then it just corrects and does not fix the bending problem...also, I am not sure that the amount of difference in your numbers is critical - someone with more knowledge chime in - what does it matter that one is -1.0 and the other -0.8 - seems pretty small to me to cause a problem...could be manufacturing tolerance?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree .2 is hardly anything and can even be a calibration error. All the people that I have seen with bent axles or C's can actually see it with the naked eye and it usually takes some hard wheelin with atleast 35" tires. Like seriously, I have landed HARD (digging my bumper) on my front end while jumping the dunes and still havent seen a bend yet.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment , ball joints , camber , front axle problem , JK Wrangler , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.