Adding Snow Plow to JK Unlimited Sport? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Adding Snow Plow to JK Unlimited Sport?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
CTJeepGuy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Adding Snow Plow to JK Unlimited Sport?

Anyone know anything about adding a snow plow to an unlimited Sport? Is it too much/too heavy? Are there any that quickly attach/detach so you don't have to drive around with one on all winter? I'm guessing it must not be possible or reasonable since I never see Wranglers up here in CT with plows...

CTJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I put a 6'6'' Western Suburbanite on my 2003 Rubicon two years ago and I will say it works. There are some issues: You have to remember its a light vehicle and wont move mountains, It will accelerate the wear on a lot of parts; ie. ball Joints, u-joints, shocks, springs, control arms, etc. I like it for my driveway and several others, but like I said its not a f350 and never will be. There are a lot of great threads about this over at plowsite.com. My suburbanite removes and leaves only the push plates behind. Its about 300lbs and the front end only drops about one inch, although I have a 3 inch lift. Up here in MA i see a few wranglers with plows on them but most people don't driove around with them on because it is pretty awkward on the highway. Any more q's just ask.
Brian
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
CTJeepGuy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Brian...doesn't sound like it's worth it, but I was curious.
CTJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

You should ask this guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumontra View Post
Here's some pictures... I know there not as cool as most of the pictures here, but hey, at least I posted some...

I know what you all are thinking in these next pictures WHY?

Well, because I needed something with a short wheel base to plow with!
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Dumontra
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepGuy View Post
Anyone know anything about adding a snow plow to an unlimited Sport? Is it too much/too heavy? Are there any that quickly attach/detach so you don't have to drive around with one on all winter? I'm guessing it must not be possible or reasonable since I never see Wranglers up here in CT with plows...
Hello! As you can see from the last post, My Sno-way 22 series plow and mount comes off as one unit. Sno-way plows are one of the lightest plows out there. They also use an active down pressure system for front plowing and back dragging. This inturn down pressure system will help with the traction some. The thing you must remind yourself is that you are useing a jeep! So no plowing 12" of wet/heavy snow at one time! If you are careful in how you are plowing, there is no more wear than you would get from heavy wheeling. You just have to take your time...
Dumontra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No problem. It can be worth it, but it depends on your situation. In my situation I think it works pretty good, but YMMV.
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So no plowing 12" of wet/heavy snow at one time!
Then what good is it??? I mean, hell, 12" is NOTHING!

Looks cool! But your description makes it sound rather non-functional.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Dumontra
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Then what good is it??? I mean, hell, 12" is NOTHING!

Looks cool! But your description makes it sound rather non-functional.
Well, it can not plow like a one ton... Unless you have a Hemi set up with 60 D axles with a couple thousand pounds extra in the rear-end. Or you can start plowing a little earlier will 5” or 6” of snow at a time as to not kill your rig. Sure you can plow 12” of snow if you want to replace your front end after everything falls off!

I needed the short wheel base to be able to maneuver turns and smaller areas in my driveway. My drive way is like a spider web, going around cabins and the main building.

Oh, and I live in New Hampshire so it does not always snow 12" all the time... I'm sure up there it snow an avg. of 12" per storm? Corect me if I'm wrong...
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, it can not plow like a one ton... Unless you have a Hemi set up with 60 D axles with a couple thousand pounds extra in the rear-end. Or you can start plowing a little earlier will 5” or 6” of snow at a time as to not kill your rig. Sure you can plow 12” of snow if you want to replace your front end after everything falls off!
Somewhere in another thread I posted something like, "Plowing is hard on a vehicle - I'd rather buy a beater pickup for that purpose than use my JK."

Quote:
I'm sure up there it snow an avg. of 12" per storm? Corect me if I'm wrong...
We often get a foot of snow or more...but even if you only get, say, 6", you don't have to push it very far before it stacks up to 12"

I love that blue. I wish my JK were blue.
snow_jeep.jpg  
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Dumontra
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Somewhere in another thread I posted something like, "Plowing is hard on a vehicle - I'd rather buy a beater pickup for that purpose than use my JK."
I did start looking at the beaters, but when the dealer told me they would still cover the life time powertrain warranty with having a plow on it, I was sold!

Quote:
We often get a foot of snow or more...but even if you only get, say, 6", you don't have to push it very far before it stacks up to 12".
Well, the first pass can be the wost of all with it getting higher. After that you can angle the plow and push it to the side. This will cut down the height a lot. Also with this plow the skin on it flows the snow very well being a poly skin. It does not stick to it...

Quote:
I love that blue. I wish my JK were blue.
Thanks! This was one of the selling points for me!
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I did start looking at the beaters, but when the dealer told me they would still cover the life time powertrain warranty with having a plow on it, I was sold!
You believe your dealer, eh? (:

Quote:
Well, the first pass can be the wost of all with it getting higher. After that you can angle the plow and push it to the side. This will cut down the height a lot. Also with this plow the skin on it flows the snow very well being a poly skin. It does not stick to it...
I dunno a whole lot about plowing - other than my neighbor illegally plows the snow from his driveway into the street. I have a snowblower myself (:

Quote:
Thanks! This was one of the selling points for me!
You're quite welcome. I wanted a Flame Red Jeep but I ended up with Silver (long story) - and I had planned on keeping it a long time - but man - that blue just looks sooooooooooooooooo good (:
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #12
ace22
2009 JK Wrangler 

I installed a Boss 7ft.poly plow on my 09 Sahara Unlimited and it works great. Also installed front spring blocks to help with the load.
ace22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Dumontra
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace22 View Post
I installed a Boss 7ft.poly plow on my 09 Sahara Unlimited and it works great. Also installed front spring blocks to help with the load.
I added air shock to the front of mine...
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Boston_JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I know this is rather old, but I though of this thread when I passed by this JK.

Boston_JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #15
Than07jk

I use an early model snowbear plow on my 07 2dr jk, some ppl don't think you can or should but its the same as any other vehicle, you match the plow with the vehicle. also the mount design happens to be the only one that fits with my winch mount.
Than07jk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.