Adding power windows & remote locks to JK wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Adding power windows & remote locks to JK wrangler?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #1

Adding power windows & remote locks to JK wrangler?

Hello all!

I'm about to buy a new Wrangler, and I want power windows and keyless entry. These aren't available on an XB, and the xs is $2500 more which seems like a lot to pay for four motors and some switches.

Is it possible to add aftermarket power windows and remote locks?

Could I just replace the doors?

76406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
illini33
2008 JK Wrangler 

i just went to my local (Chicago) stereo/custom shop and he quoted me $75/door to add an afternmarket power lock mechanism. I'm sure the mopar would be more $$. Still not sure $75 is a good price.
illini33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
TxJeepGuy2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76406 View Post
Hello all!

I'm about to buy a new Wrangler, and I want power windows and keyless entry. These aren't available on an XB, and the xs is $2500 more which seems like a lot to pay for four motors and some switches.

I say just pay the extra if that's what you want. Your not just talking about simply replacing the window or lock mechanism with motors or just replacing the doors. You would have to wire for switches, then where would you put the switches??? Then you have to wire to the battery for power, and I sure there would be some fuse work involved. $2500 is alot of money...are you sure the ONLY difference in the two models is just the addition of the power group?

3" lift - 35" Fierce Attitude M/T Tires
TxJeepGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe I'm just acting too much like the old-school minded jeeper I am, but WHY? It's a jeep. Love it for what it is and what it doesn't have. I wouldn't take free power windows or locks.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Ruff88
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm with imped4now, i wouldn't want power windows or doors. Just more stuff to mess with when you want to take the doors off. I'll just use unzipping the soft top as my keyless entry!
Ruff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff88 View Post
I'm with imped4now, i wouldn't want power windows or doors. Just more stuff to mess with when you want to take the doors off. I'll just use unzipping the soft top as my keyless entry!
Boom baby. Must be us TJ guys....
Unread 07-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have the 4 door X with no power and once you figure out where the handles and knobs are it takes 10 seconds to open all 4. Clearly just me but when I picked mine up I wanted no power anything and stick, nothing to do with money, it just felt more "jeep" like. It would be like buying an automatic Porsche or Corvette. Personal preference. If you are short armed or it's going to be the wife's Jeep you may just want to pony up for power now as it will be a reach accross the doors and to the back seats.
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76406 View Post
Hello all!

In 09 the XS also includes fog lights, center console, cruise, better wheels and tires amongst other things. I have an X with the S package but not power equipment and don't miss it at all. I with everyone else, it is one more thing to go wrong and Wranglers and crank windows go hand in hand. But to each their own, if you really want pw/pl just get the whole package, it would be too much of a pain to wire and hook up.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green View Post
It would be like buying an automatic Porsche or Corvette.
Don't be so quick to judge. The new corvettes are faster with the auto. With the new technology the auto will shift a lot quicker and smoother than almost anyone driving a manual. I got the pw/l because 1) I knew the fiance would be driving it too and she requested it and 2) I really didn't feel like trying to roll down the back windows from the driver seat any ways. Yea, the doors are a little heavier, but there isn't any more steps you have to do to take the doors off between the ones with power and without. Both have the connection that you have to take apart. But that is just me.
Green Jeep Club Member #254

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ View Post
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota4x405 View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. The new corvettes are faster with the auto. With the new technology the auto will shift a lot quicker and smoother than almost anyone driving a manual. I got the pw/l because 1) I knew the fiance would be driving it too and she requested it and 2) I really didn't feel like trying to roll down the back windows from the driver seat any ways. Yea, the doors are a little heavier, but there isn't any more steps you have to do to take the doors off between the ones with power and without. Both have the connection that you have to take apart. But that is just me.
Speed is not the only factor when selecting manual vs. auto. Several newer autos shift faster than their manual counterparts, like the Nissan GTR (auto only), Corvette, M3 and even Porsche. Who cares? I would NEVER buy an automatic tranny with a sports car, even if it does get me to 60 0.1 seconds faster. The same goes for paddle shift vs. manual. If I had the $$ to purchase a Ferrari F430, it would have the 6 speed. It's a DRIVER'S car, not a pure drag racer. If I was into 1/4 miles only (boring), an auto would be my choice. Now, back on topic.
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I went in to the dealer looking at a stock JK bare bones and ended up with power windows, door locks, etc...

I'm not going to lie, I like it. Now if they would have had a bare bones model in green, then maybe.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
iambeekay
2007 JK Wrangler 

power group is great!

If you are looking to add it, why not just get it and finance the add-on; versus having to deal with an aftermarket kluge, hoping it will all work out for you, and if and when it brakes, having to go after someone else to fix it....

I have the power group in my 07 jkl and its right on! love the switches in the middle of the rig. doors pop off easy enough.

So far, my initial quality rating for this truck has been A+. 1 issue with the gas tank, which was repaired no issues. 30k miles of pure joy.

Great advice from the crew. now you get to go make it happen!

bk
2001 Audi A4 1.8 TQMS Silver
2004 Bigfoot 29SL Ford F450 V10 4 Season RV
1974 Harley Sportster XLCH
iambeekay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

I agree, don't add it later. That will be less reliable and will hurt resale most likely. If you plan on an X, get the package.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #14

I know what I want is perverted and wrong, so you can stop telling me

that.http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/redface.gif

My current Jeep is all mechanical already, I want what I want because I want it.

It's easy to say "just get the package", but the "s" package is an extra $2500, and the "power convenience group" is $595 on top of that!
PLUS, I'd have to special order the other features I want (blue, hard top).

I can get a blue, hard top XB for $20,000. The only three things that I want added are cruise, power windows, and remote locks.
Which I can do for a LOT less than $3000 IF it's technically possible. I just don't know if it is.

I could probably buy a pair of doors off a wrecked one, but I don't know if the wiring could be added. That's the problem.
76406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
If I had the $$ to purchase a Ferrari F430, it would have the 6 speed. It's a DRIVER'S car, not a pure drag racer. If I was into 1/4 miles only (boring), an auto would be my choice. Now, back on topic.
You shouldn't fear change; 80s notions about performance have evolved a bit. Even Ferrari drops the manual 6-speed option on their higher end F430 Scuderia model for the addition of their Superfast2 semi auto...

Now, to the OP, I can't speak to how well the JK would take aftermarket windows through the stock harnesses, but the way Jeep engineered them is spot on. You press the tab, unplug the harness and the door strap, and go doors free when you want to, and all their systems know that the door sensors are off and react accordingly (autolock, interior light, etc.). When you have them on and plugged in, makes it super easy to live with. I've had a CJ7 and a YJ prior to my JK, and I don't see why having power windows is so frowned upon by some - it's not any less capable offroad, and it's easier to live with on road.

It is more money upfront, but it will pay off more in the end. The way the options work with the CANBUS system makes me suspect that adding the switch group to the console and using junk doors is not going to be as straightforward as in previous years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.