adding climate "automatic" temp control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > adding climate "automatic" temp control

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
rubiwannabe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

adding climate "automatic" temp control

Is is possible to add automatic climate control to a 2011 that doesnt have it?..ive read all the opinions posted on having it..im just interested in knowing if anyone has successfully added it to a 2011....please keep opinions out of this thread..just looking for facts..thanks

rubiwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
tcrow22682

You could but its not worth it. Auto climate control is more than the unit in the dash. There are temp sensors and pressure sensors at the evaporator core and condenser core that help regulate the compressor cycle to mantian a set temp.
tcrow22682 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
jake_blue
2008 JK Wrangler 

Plus what would be the point when you put the top down and/or go doorless!
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
SirCody
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiwannabe View Post
Is is possible to add automatic climate control to a 2011 that doesnt have it?..ive read all the opinions posted on having it..im just interested in knowing if anyone has successfully added it to a 2011....please keep opinions out of this thread..just looking for facts..thanks
Yes you can....Just need the HVAC control, cabin temp sensor and the sun/ATC sensor....Go here and you will see all that's in all 2011 models etc and then look up sensors at that mopar site....some had just added control and it works, but best to get sensors, esp sun so it will know when to have more temp power at that time of day.....
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/s...rimLevel=20229
SirCody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-write-ups...c-heat-234990/

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
SirCody
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiwannabe View Post
These aren't that technical.....the dash control in the new models contains the whole brains to how it works.....ATC is only controlled temp, doors and fan speed....
ATC systems contain what we’ll refer to as three major component groups. These are:

The Controller – The “brains” of the system;

The Sensors – Supply the controller with pertinent input data;

The Controlled or Output Devices – Vacuum solenoids, electric motors, etc. that eventually turn electrical signals into mechanical motion.

Of course, an ATC system contains many other components, such as the refrigeration system, the blower motor, ductwork, wiring, etc. These components essentially work the same way in an ATC system that they do in a manual temperature control (MTC) system.

As noted, the ATC controller is the “brains” of the system. It processes the data it receives from its sensors and issues output commands to the various devices it controls. Really, it has only one job: to do whatever it takes to keep the interior of the vehicle at a stable set temperature as selected by the vehicle occupants.

ATC controllers are essentially microprocessor devices, mini-computers very similar to the type that control electronic fuel injection systems. They gather input data from sensors, make decisions based on the sensor data, then issue appropriate commands to controlled devices, with the end result usually some type of mechanical motion. Examples of this could be a heater control valve opening or closing, a vacuum control solenoid passing vacuum through to a vacuum actuator, an electric motor moving a temperature blend door, etc. The result of a controller command may not always be motion, however. Sometimes, controllers issue electrical commands to other components, such as blower motor power modules.
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
SirCody
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did this on my one jeep, Sahara and it's a 2008.....only thing extra i add to get was 3 actuators to replace the cables, all other is same from 2007 to 2012...I have complete parts build for wranglers and makes it easy to see what parts change etc....LOL
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
DARTICUS

Wanted to add it to a 2013 jeepmoab if it wasn't costly. Can a dealer do it? Thanks Ron
DARTICUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't bother honestly. I've had it on my last two Jeeps and most times the system is just too dumb for it's own good and I have to go into manual mode anyway.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

DON'T DO IT! NOT WORTH IT AT ALL. I have it and wish I didn't. (2013 Rubi Hardtop)
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARTICUS
Wanted to add it to a 2013 jeepmoab if it wasn't costly. Can a dealer do it? Thanks Ron
Yes.

Just to counter the others, I love the auto systems. I barely have to touch it.

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

When the thread linked first started and it originally appeared like a simple matter of changing the control unit, it didn't seem like a bad idea. However, having to buy all the sensors, connect them, and wire them all throughout the Jeep, it's really not worth it.
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

My dad's Raptor has it and when I'm driving that its nice, but personally I wouldn't pay the money or take the time to do it. Just my 2 cents. BUT it is possible to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.