ACE Engineering Hardware Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ACE Engineering Hardware Issues

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

ACE Engineering Hardware Issues

I have found an issue with the hardware supplied by the ACE Engineering tubular fenders http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...ders_p_32.html

The mounting hardware I recieved came with aluminum nutserts for 1/4x20 mouting bolts. I have found that while the fenders themselves are very stout and can take alot of abuse without bending them at all, the fenders can fairly easily be pulled from the body.

I hopefully have fixed the issue with better mounting hardware after one of my fenders was almost pulled clean off. I saw the price for the fenders has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. ACE may have upgraded the hardware since I bought these back in 2012. If so, this if for the guys that bought these before they did. If not, I really think they should.

I would honestly take the extra step if you havent installed these yet and would go this route if you have found yourself in the same boat I a was in.

I replaced the smaller aluminum nutserts with steel 5/16x18 nusterts. These are much stouter and will hopefully advoid the same issue. This is the same size that are on my body mounted JCR sliders, and I have hit them much harder than I hit my fender and they are still intact.

All total I had to replace 5 of nutserts in one fender and in the last photo you can see the difference between the two.

picture53.jpg   picture52.jpg   picture50.jpg   picture49.jpg   picture1k.jpg  

Unread 07-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

i have poison spider they mount through the tub and bracket rear to two pinch seam at the front rear as well and i added many button bolts to the inner pinch. have landd rather hard against them they wont move.

i would add many to the pinch this way the main load wont be on a nut cert.

yellow is were i added
Unread 07-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

I need to do more. Just kinda have my hands full with the Rubi at the moment lol

Was hoping to highlight an easy upgrade to the ACE stuff and let them know the hardware was alittle subpar. I need to do what you did though, I bet it would be alot stronger.
10564605_10154356156045366_1180746245_n.jpg  
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

the button bolts along the pinch is very easy. Drill and fill. If you look at the poison parts or Genright any of the ones that have the extra hardware you can get an idea how they do it. I think rear will be the easier.

Front what they do is a bit harder to replicate. they use a formed and bent plate of 1/4 steel that fits between the sheet metal and the inner front frame hoop. that is welded on then the fender is bolted through the sheet metal to that plate.

but you can look at the pics of the parts and it should help to copy.

I have never seen alloy nut certs? seems they would be an issue with dissimilar metals contacting.
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I have never seen alloy nut certs? seems they would be an issue with dissimilar metals contacting.
These are the ones I used

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0125621

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.