im sorry i guess my post came of as i was addressing it to you,

i was just posting to the op

No sweat my brudda!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 AM
jake_blue
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tell your wife how unsafe it is to be reaching into the back seat at 70mph!

"My other car is..." Who needs another car, I'm driving a Jeep!
post #18 of 29 Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
My experiences - if you are rolling any speed and pull it (-), it will go to whichever gear matches the rpm to the meat of the torque curve and current throttle demand - about 2500-3000 RPM, great instant response - either accel OR decel! Doing 70 a (-) will pull it into 4th from 6th - if you come on the throttle just as you pull - it will go to 3rd!
Problem is when stopping and turning. I have accidentally pulled it (-) while taking off and turning right (stop and corner) - did not realize it till no second gear and 5800 RPM! Same true when entering corner at 40mph, no throttle, pulled (-) and it went from 4th to 1st and my passenger whacked the dash as it set it on the nose!
BUT it will not go into a damage situation per se. (on my Caddy when I pull into LOW - it will still shift all gears - at 6800 RPM - WICKED. The JEEP does not shift - it does govern the engine at like 6000).

On the trail an accidental shift either way could be catastrophic so I am now "relearning" my posture to keep hand completely away from the shifter. I think Jeep dropped the ball by not gating the toggle to create an auto/manual operation mode we can choose from.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 29 Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
My experiences - if you are rolling any speed and pull it (-), it will go to whichever gear matches the rpm to the meat of the torque curve and current throttle demand - about 2500-3000 RPM, great instant response - either accel OR decel! ....
I think this is true for manual transmission. The auto-trans is controlled by the computer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Unlimited Rubicon

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
post #20 of 29 Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Hillsitter
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help folks - I think I can rest easy and enjoy the ride! Vacation to Yellowstone and Glacier should be a blast!

"Sometimes the road less traveled isn't a road"
post #21 of 29 Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AAdam View Post
mythbusters has done something on this with an older car. they went from drive to reverse and the car just shut down and stayed in neutral. i would think the same kind of thing might happen in your situation.
Incorrect! Many an auto trans have exploded due to mechanical downshifts.
post #22 of 29 Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 AM
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange1 View Post
Incorrect! Many an auto trans has exploded due to mechanical downshifts.
really auto ?

were not taking about 69 ford focus

the Auto in the JK will not shift unless the TCM knows its safe that's all.

MY BUILD 2012 JKU

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/kade-2012-jku-build-1305112/
post #23 of 29 Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kade View Post
really auto ?

were not taking about 69 ford focus

the Auto in the JK will not shift unless the TCM knows its safe that's all.
You are correct. In normal cases the computer will prevent mech. downshifts.
post #24 of 29 Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatJK View Post
I think this is true for manual transmission. The auto-trans is controlled by the computer.
Which is why it will go straight to the gear that the load/throttle demand needs! On the freeway doing 70 in 5th I come down on the throttle and hit (-) and INSTANTLY it goes to 3rd. Skipped 4th completely. Same thing without hitting the (-) - using ionly the passing kickdown not the shifter - it pulls down to 4th, and if I go down harder on the throttle it will go to 3rd - but always THROUGH 4th to get there. If I decel from 60 to 40 to a curve and on the apex hit (-) with throttle it goes straight to SECOND skipping 4th and 3rd! Without throttle it goes to 3rd.

And how could it POSSIBLY be true for a manual? Where is the (-) on a manual? I an pretty sure in a manual the OPERATOR selects gears and can go to 1st from 6th if he wants...!

Drive your 12 auto around and report back what you find so we can compare notes...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
post #25 of 29 Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Which is why it will go straight to the gear that the load/throttle demand needs! On the freeway doing 70 in 5th I come down on the throttle and hit (-) and INSTANTLY it goes to 3rd. Skipped 4th completely. Same thing without hitting the (-) - using ionly the passing kickdown not the shifter - it pulls down to 4th, and if I go down harder on the throttle it will go to 3rd - but always THROUGH 4th to get there. If I decel from 60 to 40 to a curve and on the apex hit (-) with throttle it goes straight to SECOND skipping 4th and 3rd! Without throttle it goes to 3rd.

And how could it POSSIBLY be true for a manual? Where is the (-) on a manual? I an pretty sure in a manual the OPERATOR selects gears and can go to 1st from 6th if he wants...!

Drive your 12 auto around and report back what you find so we can compare notes...
As long as downshift will not exceed the engine rev limiter or safety limit, the computer will allow you to down shift. This is true for all modern conventional transmission made by any domestic manufacturer or foreign import. For example, if you are redline in 6th gear, it won't allow to down-shift until you reduce your engine speed. If you are cruising at 70mph at 2500 rpm, the fact that you could downshift one or two gears means the computer thinks it's in the safe range. On the other hand, you can downshift to any gear you want in a manual transmission. You will wreck your clutch or synchros or engine but some people have different kicks. No need to be so agravated by facts. You have a nice day Mr.Bishop.

09 Unlimited Rubicon

ORFAB tire carrier
post #26 of 29 Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Hoagie222
2012 JK Wrangler 

downshifting happened, did my friend screw up my jeep

Hey guys, been on the forum for some time, just finally signed up now that i have a question. A similar situation happened in my 2012. Was going down the highway with some friends, music and wind were pretty loud, and my friend leaned against the shifter. Not just a tap, but held it to the left. So it cycled down through the gears. I instantly felt the drag, but it still managed to get down pretty low (i didn't see what gear as i was too busy moving him, and holding it to the right to get it back into D.) this was about a month ago right around 10,000 miles. Now at 11,000 miles i notice that when im coasting/rolling (down hill or flat) it seems to downshift way more than normal. to the point where i cant really coast to a red light, stop sign, etc. I still need to give it a little gas.
Im almost positive it never rode this way, but theres a chance im just now noticing it with the idea planted in my head that my friend messed up my jeep. thoughts? (should i have the dealer look at it? should i kill my friend?)
post #27 of 29 Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie222 View Post
Hey guys, been on the forum for some time, just finally signed up now that i have a question. A similar situation happened in my 2012. Was going down the highway with some friends, music and wind were pretty loud, and my friend leaned against the shifter. Not just a tap, but held it to the left. So it cycled down through the gears. I instantly felt the drag, but it still managed to get down pretty low (i didn't see what gear as i was too busy moving him, and holding it to the right to get it back into D.) this was about a month ago right around 10,000 miles. Now at 11,000 miles i notice that when im coasting/rolling (down hill or flat) it seems to downshift way more than normal. to the point where i cant really coast to a red light, stop sign, etc. I still need to give it a little gas.
Im almost positive it never rode this way, but theres a chance im just now noticing it with the idea planted in my head that my friend messed up my jeep. thoughts? (should i have the dealer look at it? should i kill my friend?)
Not really - but you probably ARE a bit more sensitive and that is most likely what leads to you noticing something you may not have before.

These things "learn" driving style. Disconnecting the batt makes em forget. When we flat tow the 12 the batt is disconnected so every time we unhitch and drive it's like driving a different jeep - its sluggish to me and the wife complains a bit of being too sporty... just glad it's not a rental that "learns" many different styles.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
post #28 of 29 Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatJK View Post
As long as downshift will not exceed the engine rev limiter or safety limit, the computer will allow you to down shift. This is true for all modern conventional transmission made by any domestic manufacturer or foreign import. For example, if you are redline in 6th gear, it won't allow to down-shift until you reduce your engine speed. If you are cruising at 70mph at 2500 rpm, the fact that you could downshift one or two gears means the computer thinks it's in the safe range. On the other hand, you can downshift to any gear you want in a manual transmission. You will wreck your clutch or synchros or engine but some people have different kicks. No need to be so agravated by facts. You have a nice day Mr.Bishop.
hmm missed this before.
I may be wrong but I think you said the same thing I did in different words... even though you did not give real experiences with the 2012 toggle shifter! Not ALL have the toggle - in fact MOST have gated or detented shifters and MOST of the ones I have seen with toggle you have to pull it down past D into a detent that allows the toggle - on the 12 jeep D is the toggle - hence the question and concern!
It's all good.
Not sure why you thought I was aggravated - just reporting how my rig works...
lmao.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
post #29 of 29 Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 AM
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure why you thought I was aggravated - just reporting how my rig works...
lmao.
No problem. I put the blame on the internet.

09 Unlimited Rubicon

ORFAB tire carrier

Tags
2012 , auto trans , downshift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.