AC quit! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > AC quit!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
SubAtomicGenius
2011 JK Wrangler 

No A/C systems are "designed to leak." How about refridgerators, heat pumps and Air Conditioners? Self-lubricating, clean, and sealed, properly installed ones last for 30 years or more. No difference in automotive, unless there is a problem.

SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
No A/C systems are "designed to leak." How about refridgerators, heat pumps and Air Conditioners? Self-lubricating, clean, and sealed, properly installed ones last for 30 years or more. No difference in automotive, unless there is a problem.
Good point, so why so many cans of 134a on auto parts stores shelves?
There must be a lot of problem A/C units out there.

I'm still contend, buy a can of the stuff with a gauge included. Low pressure? Add a can. Pressure ok? Go see a mechanic.
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Good point, so why so many cans of 134a on auto parts stores shelves?
There must be a lot of problem A/C units out there.

I'm still contend, buy a can of the stuff with a gauge included. Low pressure? Add a can. Pressure ok? Go see a mechanic.
There are a lot of those cans on the shelves because a lot of people would rather patch the system than fix it. Those cans sometimes end up making a small fix turn into a large one. To properly charge an A/C system, you need a set of gauges (check both high and low side), Freon, thermometer, the ambient temperature and humidity. Those cans will "charge" a system, but you will still have a leak. I always prefer to fix the problem rather than mask it.

I understand that economics sometimes come into play, but if you can, fix the problem.

To me, those cans are the same as all the other cans of snake oil that stop engine and tranny leaks, etc, by just swelling the seals for awhile.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

There is so many cans on the shelves because r134 is thinner than r12. That is why the old hvac gauges need adaptors or new set of gauges to connect to the new systems.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
mello

R-134 systems are way more sensitive to proper charge than the old R-12 systems. I have fixed so many A/C systems that people have overcharged or undercharged with those little cans. Systems are not designed to leak however R-134 is thinner/lighter/smaller how ever you want to describe it and will seep out over time. I used the word seep because it is not a noticeable leak. There is a TSB on compressor failure and replacement on the jk's not sure what years though.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #21
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

And the answer is......
A small stone became lodged between the intercooler and the condenser after being ingested through the grill, thus wearing a pinhole in the condenser....Murphy at work!
So, while replacing the condenser, not cheap BTW, I am considering a mod to the space between the IC and Condenser to keep debris out. Looking at some mesh screen
added around the space, but still working on how to hold it down in place...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #22
JeepCares

Possible cause/correction for 2008 JK
Equal pressures, but the A/C clutch does not engage
(from the FSM:)

1. No refrigerant in the refrigerant system 1. See Refrigerant System Leaks in this group. Test the refrigerant system for leaks. Repair, evacuate and charge the refrigerant system as required.

2. Open fuse 2. See Wiring Information. Check the fuse in the junction block. Repair the shorted circuit or component and replace the fuse as required.

3. Inoperative A/C clutch 3. See A/C Compressor in this group. Test the A/C clutch coil and replace as required.

4. Improperly installed or inoperative A/C pressure transducer 4. See A/C Pressure Transducer in this group. Test the transducer and replace as required.

5. Improperly installed or inoperative evaporator temperature sensor 5. See Evaporator Temperature Sensor in this group. Correctly install or test and replace the sensor as required.

6. Inoperative A/C-heater control, TIPM, CCN or PCM/ECM 6. See Group 28 - DTC Based Diagnostics. Test the CCN, TIPM, PCM/ECM and A/C-heater control. Replace as required.
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
SubAtomicGenius
2011 JK Wrangler 

All modern refrigerants are made to be "less environmentally harmful" - however they must operate at higher pressures to compensate for a loss in efficiency.

Good thing you found the rock in the condenser. How much was the fix if you don't mind me asking.

Oh, and perhaps others are right - maybe they designed the condenser with the rock it it so it would leak??? lol That explains all of the R-134A on the shelves... wow, it all makes sense to me now.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

I had the exact same thing happen to my Tundra. Cost me about $1100 after thinking it would be warranty. I ended up getting some 1/4 inch stainless mesh at a lumber yard, cutting it to fit and then used zip ties to hold it in place. Guess I need to do the same thing to the jeep!
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #25
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

jmb - that is exactly what I am thinking of doing, screen mesh around the space between the IC and condensor with zip ties to hold it in place. Not exactly where you can see it anyway. The condenser is 300+ and the labor/recharge is about the same. Not cheap, but I confirmed the approx cost at an AC shop...so the dealer seems close to me. And, that does include r/r the IC.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.