Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Absolutely ridiculous i cant get a loaner car at stealership...

6K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  TheProfessional 
#1 ·
I wait 2 weeks for an appointment so I can get a loaner car and wait a half hour.at dealership for them to.tell me I can't get a loaned because I am only 21. Meanwhile in the past they always gave me one because they said if I am the purchaser of the.vehicle it.exempts me.

Aside from having given then $55,000 over the last 2 years between buying two cars.

They told me its an insurance issue that you have to be 23... regardless of them always giving me one in the past, and telling me when i bought the car i can get a loaner car when it needs servicing. Insurance issue my ***, New York State insurance companies let me drive a 45' tower ladder and i cant get a damn sedan loaner car?

For the record, Grand Prix Jeep in hicksville NY, worst service department in history. I can't take my vehicle anywhere else unfortunately because no one else is going to repair the scratches it came with or give me another key that they owe me.

#2 ·
I wait 2 weeks for an appointment so I can get a loaner car and wait a half hour.at dealership for them to.tell me I can't get a loaned because I am only 21. Meanwhile in the past they always gave me one because they said if I am the purchaser of the.vehicle it.exempts me.

Aside from having given then $55,000 over the last 2 years between buying two cars.

They told me its an insurance issue that you have to be 23... regardless of them always giving me one in the past, and telling me when i bought the car i can get a loaner car when it needs servicing. Insurance issue my ***, New York State insurance companies let me drive a 45' tower ladder and i cant get a damn sedan loaner car?

For the record, Grand Prix Jeep in hicksville NY, worst service department in history. I can't take my vehicle anywhere else unfortunately because no one else is going to repair the scratches it came with or give me another key that they owe me.
Age shouldn't matter. you can serve in the military at 18! Did you tell them how much you 'gave' them over the last 2 years? Tell the New Car Sales Manager? The Service Manager? Your salesman?

Not to add fuel to your already burning fire, but I jsut turned my 2010 in for mil light on and got a JK as a loaner. I spent nearly the same as you if not a lil more in the past 3 yrs.........

I'd tell them to go get bent and they lost a customer.

#4 ·
Although I am sympathetic, their line if reasoning probably gies something like this.

If you go to a rental car company like Enterprise, they won't rent to anyone under 21.

Secondly, if you look at the paperwork that came with the vehicle, can't remember if it's the bill of sale or what, but it specifically states that if you bring the vehicle in for service, even for warranty work, they do not provide a rental or loaner. I think it sucks too, but I read mine and it clearly states that in the lengthy terms and conditions.

Get yourself a rental if you can, and use it as an opportunity to try out a different vehicle.

#5 ·
I, too have seen that disclaimer but it is totally up to them if they want to loan out a demo car. I think it is BS, but their excuse is age..........
I got a demo and they are doing work on my JK. I just took my Durango in a few days prior for work and was offered a demo and declined. Now if they woudl have pointed to a Challenger or whatever the new hotroad Chrysler has, I would have taken it and beat the crap out of it; you know, drove it like a rental. :2thumbsup:

#7 ·
Per Enterprise's website

New York State:

The minimum age is 18 years of age.

A $70.00 per day additional charge applies to 18-20 aged renters.

A $23.50 per day additional charge applies to 21-24 aged renters.
So, a rental shouldn't be a problem. However, if you got the standard warranty when you purchased the vehicle, Chrysler is not obligated to give you a loaner 'free of charge.' They have extended warranty options that include loaners but, if you opted out of that, then you have nothing.

I was in a similar position and the service manager mentioned a discount off Enterprise if I went through Chrysler. That seems like your best best ATM.

Good luck

#8 ·
Stuff like that happens when you purchase a vehicle manufactured by a company that has been slowly going bankrupt for a couple of generations. I've heard Lexus has really good customer service and even offers croissants, tea and latte's while their customers are waiting. As soon as Fiat fully takes over Jeep, I'm sure there will be a plethora of Fiat 500's offered as loaners, I'll be hoping for an Abarth. Sorry to hear about your trivails, maybe if the dealership catches on fire you can let it burn down.

#9 ·
Stuff like that happens when you purchase a vehicle manufactured by a company that has been slowly going bankrupt for a couple of generations. I've heard Lexus has really good customer service and even offers croissants, tea and latte's while their customers are waiting. As soon as Fiat fully takes over Jeep, I'm sure there will be a plethora of Fiat 500's offered as loaners, I'll be hoping for an Abarth. Sorry to hear about your trivials, maybe if the dealership catches on fire you can let it burn down.
You're right about Lexus. My father gets a loaner, breakfast, lunch, dinner, wi-fi, cable and everything else. I don't particularly care for Lexus so I have to accept what I get from Chrysler, ooh gotz.

#11 ·
The thing is in the past they have always given me a rental car when i brought in my liberty, but all of a sudden i cant get one.

And its part of their "VIP Sales Package" nonsense.

I get loaner car with any appointment, even if its just an oil change.
Every other oil change is free
Annual inspections are free
etc.

I wouldnt be nearly as mad if i didnt wait 2 weeks for an appointment with loaner car. I could have brought it in next day if i knew i wasnt getting a loaner.

I drive all 3 of these on a regular basis

and i cant get a damn loaner car? Would think i was a more qualified driver than most... i guess not.

#12 ·
I don't post on here often but this one got me to actually recover my forgotten username.

When I lived Alabama many years ago, I purchased a new 3series BMW. I was 21 years old at the time. When I dropped it off for service, they gave me a 5 series as a loaner. I figured it was a good idea as it was essentially a few day test drive and a sales tool. And for the brand, it seemed like what should happen. Never once did I even have to ask for this courtesy. I showed up for my appointment, they took my car and handed me the keys to the 5 series. Didn't sign a thing.

I moved from Alabama back to Florida and still had the BMW. Took it in for service under warranty here and stupidly assumed the same thing would happen. I showed up, they took my keys and walked away. After a few minutes of standing around I went up and asked if there would a be a loaner car. Nope. They wouldn't even give me a ride back to my house.....

I had to have them go get my car and bring back around because I had stuff that needed to be done that day and couldn't wait to make other arrangements. The service manager then informed me that I was already over the accepted mileage for their "free oil change" plan that came with the car and that he would have to seek special permission to do it for me when I brought the car back in. I told him I could make arrangements and come back tomorrow. No dice. He made the appointment for 3 weeks later.

When that date came around, I called the GM and explained the disconnect in their customer service in their service department. He apologized and assured me that I would get a loaner car. blah blah blah.

I show up...... Ford Taurus that was locally rented was waiting for me. Made ME sign for insurance, liability etc.

None of this was due to my age at the time mind you. Just them being dicks. Completely clueless dicks.

I've purchased/leased a fair amount of vehicles in my life time and the only positive experience, at any dealership, I've ever had was the BMW dealership in Alabama.

I'm not sure were things went tits-up in the dealership side of the automotive world but man is it frustrating. Best solution I've found is negotiate over the phone. Takes away all their little games and tactics and makes them focus on the numbers solely. Also, don't be afraid to walk away from the deal. They have a ton more interest in it than you do, I assure you of that.

#17 ·
Welcome to the club friend.

I bought a new 3 series back in 2005 from a dealer in small town Warren, OH. Every time I took it for service, I was treated like ****ing ROYALTY. No questions asked, always got a 5 series loaner (even got a brand new X5 once), no issues on early oil changes or top offs, always washed my car and had it looking spotless.

Moved to a big city. Out the ****ing window. Especially in Chicago. Chicago was the worst of them all. Perillo BMW in Chicago ****ing blew chunks. There's a massive disconnect in service level from dealer to dealer. BMW needs to step that area up an incredible amount if they're going to keep growing. I got better service from my used car dealer I bought my Buick Skylark from.

The sales people usually don't take you seriously if you're young, either -- which I suppose makes sense besides the fact that I was in North Scottsdale. I walked in and was looking for an X6M to test drive and it took them 15 minutes to even ask if I needed help. Dude walked in that was 50 or so looking and got sales people bombarding him within 10 seconds. I guarantee I was an easier sale. Their service side at that dealership is pretty solid though, so I would feel comfortable getting something from them now that I'm more permanent residency.

#13 ·
I had the same problem with my 07 Ram 1500 that I bought in Texas when I moved back from England on my way to Florida.
After several problems with the truck and extended amounts of time in the shop with out getting a rental car, and the the dealerships that I talked to telling me that they are not required to give out loaner cars I finally had to call Chrysler home office and go through them to get a loaner car. It was a pain in the butt, but it worked. Just an Idea.

#14 ·
They are feeding you BS. I'v gotten a loaner from the dealer through Enterprise when I was 21.

Also, I was once told they don't to loaners, then they changed it to 3 day loaner maximum, then they called and told me I needed a new shortblock, and would get a loaner for as long as needed (2 weeks).

#15 ·

I might be lost but isn't this supposed to be the JK TECHNICAL FORUM.:wrongforum:

#16 ·
I call BS...go back and ask for the general manager and expain all this to him! If they were willing to sell you two car then they can give you a loaner....if not thorw a fit on the show room floor ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.