ABS light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ABS light

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

ABS light

I'm sure this has been covered but I can't do a search from my phone, sorry.
So my GF's 07 4dr JK has an ABS and traction control light on. I scanned the code, said front wheel sensor, so I replaced both. Erased code, lights still come on! Any idea what else could be wrong. Thank you for the help

Unread 09-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

is your steering wheel centered?
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

You mean if the wheels are straight is the steering wheel straight? If so, then yes. And the jeep is bone stock.
What does the abs sensor actually read? Maybe there is something wrong in the bearing or the abs module? Any help would be great
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
mello

The sensors read the actual wheel speed. Which side was the code for the Lh or the RH side? What was the code that would be a big help?
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

The code was for the right side wheel sensor, I don't know what the actual code was though, my friend's shop plugged it in, and that's what he said
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
mello

The code would help because some codes point toward sensor some towards circuitry and some toward module can you get code read again.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
donny90yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

For a bad ABS sensor 3 lights will come on: ABS, traction control, and the ESP/BAS light. If your steering isn't centered it'll only be the ABS and traction control. This is from personal experience and on my 07.
Did you drive it after replacing them? Also it might be one of the rear sensors, which are a whole lot easier to replace than the front. Or the tone ring may be gunked up with mud or grease causing the sensor not being able to read the teeth.
donny90yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny90yj View Post
For a bad ABS sensor 3 lights will come on: ABS, traction control, and the ESP/BAS light. If your steering isn't centered it'll only be the ABS and traction control. This is from personal experience and on my 07.
Did you drive it after replacing them? Also it might be one of the rear sensors, which are a whole lot easier to replace than the front. Or the tone ring may be gunked up with mud or grease causing the sensor not being able to read the teeth.
Steering wheel centered is the esp/bas light only..... Not as you said. The rest is great info.
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Yes all 3 lights are on. I'll have my friend scan it again. I have driven it and the traction control kicks in as soon as you pull away, then it drives fine.
When I pulled the sensors out, it was covered in grease, could it be as simple as that?
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
donny90yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
Steering wheel centered is the esp/bas light only..... Not as you said. The rest is great info.
Could be, I know I had 2 lights on when my steering wheel was off center. Maybe ESP/BAS and traction control Regardless it was 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett View Post
Yes all 3 lights are on. I'll have my friend scan it again. I have driven it and the traction control kicks in as soon as you pull away, then it drives fine.
When I pulled the sensors out, it was covered in grease, could it be as simple as that?
The sensor should have some "lube" on it, but the tone ring itself should be free and clear of grease and debris. Once you pull the ABS sensor shine a light down the hole to view it. I can have pics in a few days once I change out my hubs.
donny90yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny90yj View Post

Could be, I know I had 2 lights on when my steering wheel was off center. Maybe ESP/BAS and traction control Regardless it was 2.

The sensor should have some "lube" on it, but the tone ring itself should be free and clear of grease and debris. Once you pull the ABS sensor shine a light down the hole to view it. I can have pics in a few days once I change out my hubs.
Yeah i get the esp bas light almost every weekend and now that you say that my esp light is always on. Lol i forgot i disabled it and that ones always on
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Nsiavosh90
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sounds silly but double check the plastic connectors of the abs sensors that have the red unlock and lock piece. ( Located behind the shock tube and held up by two christmas tree plugs that you can push into the engine bay from outside) I have plugged them together thinking all was good and sure enough I didn't lock or push the red slider in to ensure a solid locked connection. When this happened to me I had all 3 lights on
Nsiavosh90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Thanks I will double check that plug, so far nothing else has helped. Hopefully it's as simple as that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.