Abs brake esp bas traction control lights all at once - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Abs brake esp bas traction control lights all at once

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Abs brake esp bas traction control lights all at once

Had some snow fall today and was going up an icy hill, stopped slid backwards some, then goosed it up the hill, wheels spun and to stop the abs worked fine. Then while spinning the brake light abs light traction control light and ESP bas light all came on at once?? Vehicle preformed the same with the lights on but now no anti lock brakes just slid. No thumping in brake pedal. Parked it turned it off and restarted it, lights were on then went off. Took it for another drive and anti lock breaks were back? What gives?

Unread 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Wrong forum...but my guess is that the vehicle thought it was going somewhere you weren't steering to...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer
Wrong forum...but my guess is that the vehicle thought it was going somewhere you weren't steering to...
Why is it wrong forum? Is this not the jk forum? My sig must be out of date I recently got a jk
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Anymore ideas? Bump.
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Anyone? Have any ideas??
Unread 12-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

The ABS/ESP/Cruise Control systems are all related by the sensors that provide information to them. The two sensors that I know about (there may be more, not sure) are the wheel speed sensors and the steering angle sensor (in the steering column). Under normal operating conditions, the various systems use the information provided by one or more of the sensors to function correctly.

ABS and cruise rely primarily on the wheel speed sensors and the ESP relies on both wheel speed and steering angle. Under certain conditions, the information provided by the sensors is too far outside of "normal" and the computer shuts down all three systems until the problem is fixed.

From personal experience ('09 JKU by the way), I took a hard knock on a trail once. No physical damage was done but it knocked the alignment off by a considerable amount. While driving straight down the road, my steering wheel was off to the left by about 90 degrees. All things (vehicle speed and reported steering angle) being considered by the computer, it saw this as abnormal (possibly even impossible) so it assumed a fault condition was present and shut down all three systems. The following day I had an alignment done and the problem went away with no ill effects or replacement of any parts.

As far as what caused yours, it would probably be pretty much impossible to pinpoint exactly but, considering the speed at which the computer reads the information from the sensors, any instant during the slipping and sliding you described could have returned information that the computer saw as abnormal and shut all the systems down and since there was no damage to any of the systems, once you shut the Jeep off and restarted it, the computer cleared what had happened during its last run cycle.

Sorry for the long winded reply but that's the only way I could think to explain the situation.

Also, on a side note, the JK's are loaded with more sensors than any other Wrangler in production history but the engineers designed the sensor systems with a fail safe limp mode (I believe this is true for all monitored systems). Barring catastrophic failure of a monitored system, the computer will go into limp mode to allow you to get to a repair shop or back home.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtone1583 View Post
The ABS/ESP/Cruise Control systems are all related by the sensors that provide information to them. The two sensors that I know about (there may be more, not sure) are the wheel speed sensors and the steering angle sensor (in the steering column). Under normal operating conditions, the various systems use the information provided by one or more of the sensors to function correctly.

ABS and cruise rely primarily on the wheel speed sensors and the ESP relies on both wheel speed and steering angle. Under certain conditions, the information provided by the sensors is too far outside of "normal" and the computer shuts down all three systems until the problem is fixed.

From personal experience ('09 JKU by the way), I took a hard knock on a trail once. No physical damage was done but it knocked the alignment off by a considerable amount. While driving straight down the road, my steering wheel was off to the left by about 90 degrees. All things (vehicle speed and reported steering angle) being considered by the computer, it saw this as abnormal (possibly even impossible) so it assumed a fault condition was present and shut down all three systems. The following day I had an alignment done and the problem went away with no ill effects or replacement of any parts.

As far as what caused yours, it would probably be pretty much impossible to pinpoint exactly but, considering the speed at which the computer reads the information from the sensors, any instant during the slipping and sliding you described could have returned information that the computer saw as abnormal and shut all the systems down and since there was no damage to any of the systems, once you shut the Jeep off and restarted it, the computer cleared what had happened during its last run cycle.

Sorry for the long winded reply but that's the only way I could think to explain the situation.

Also, on a side note, the JK's are loaded with more sensors than any other Wrangler in production history but the engineers designed the sensor systems with a fail safe limp mode (I believe this is true for all monitored systems). Barring catastrophic failure of a monitored system, the computer will go into limp mode to allow you to get to a repair shop or back home.
Awesome write up man, this totally makes sense, i was spinning the tires while sliding backwards and had my wheel turned. thanks a ton!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.