About to pull the tigger on my lift. Item and procedure check! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > About to pull the tigger on my lift. Item and procedure check!

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

About to pull the tigger on my lift. Item and procedure check!

Well I'v decided on the Rusty's 2'' coil lift for $400 shipped. I want coils so I can compensate with spacers later as I add stuff. Now, the more I read, I wonder more and more about if I need front and rear track bars. Aside from the tires sticking out on one side, will I feel any difference as the driver if I stick with the stock track bar? If I add them later will I need to realign?

Also, to install the lift, I understand that I need to do an allignment and recenter the steering wheel, however I'v heard that you need the AEV procal to recenter it? I have full shop access for a few months (allignment machines and everything) so can I do it myself there?

Lastly, other then what I mentioned, are there any other things I need to do to finish the lift? Thanks!

Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I put on a track bar in the front after I lifted mine because the axle sticking out bothered me...I have since put one in the rear too after putting a spacer and my rear bumper on...

I did not align mine after the lift, but it was checked...she was fine...I did have to recenter the wheel and I used the procal for that...its a good investment, imho, but there are tuners out there now with a lot more features, but none of them seem to have the center the steering wheel thing...don't know why...

I did my whole lift in my driveway, its not hard...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Iv got the Superchip Flashpaq already, so thats why I'm not going to get another tuner.
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

probably be trial and error on the centering the steering wheel then...but we did it on a buddy's TJ with no issue without any electronic help
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did your Jeep feel any different while driving without the Track bar?
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The elex modules only fool the computer into thinking the steering wheel is straight, but

You still will have to center it PHYSICALLY , or if you don't mind it being catywompus--OK

I didn't need and trackbar changes or alignment and visually you can't tell the axel position change, if there was one, each jeep is assembled within tolerances + or-so it has to be decided for EACH one !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
Did your Jeep feel any different while driving without the Track bar?
I didn't drive without a track bar I am not sure how the heep would react without one...I replaced the stock front track bar pretty fast...just recently replaced the stock rear with the other aftermarket one I had...

You do have to do the centering of the steering wheel manually, its just the AEV thing tells you when you have it set right...

forum...

Unread 06-02-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

You don't need any device to tell you when the wheel is straight.
Mine took about five minutes.
You just crank the wheel to center then look at the tires! Kick them till there straight and turn the adjuster!
Repeat as necessary until boath the tires and the steering wheel are straight.
Test drive and fine adjust if needed
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hmm, I may hold off then and wait and see how it is with the stock track bar. If it feels off, then I'll go ahead and order a set. Thanks for the input everyone!
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
You don't need any device to tell you when the wheel is straight.
Mine took about five minutes.
You just crank the wheel to center then look at the tires! Kick them till there straight and turn the adjuster!
Repeat as necessary until boath the tires and the steering wheel are straight.
Test drive and fine adjust if needed
May not NEED it, but it sure makes it easy...

forum...

Unread 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Alright, I pulled the trigger on my lift, and first true mod to my Jeep! I called Rusty's up and asked about a package with Track bars, disconnects, and a 2'' lift similar to their 3.25'' lift deal, and they insisted that the Track bar would be overkill and a possible waste of money for a 2'' lift, so I ordered the plain 2'' coil lift for $400 shipped.

I'm excited to get it all hooked up in 2 weeks or so
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

A lift does not mess with the alignment. It moves the wheel because it changes the geometry on the draglink.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.