90K Need more power... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 90K Need more power...

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

90K Need more power...

Like some folks...I plan on keeping the JK forever... It's paid off... Love everything I've done to it so far...

Seeing power options at 90K miles.

1. Ripp - No brainer. Inexpensive... Easy to install
2. LS conversion

I guess the #1 option makes sense. I take very well care of my engine, and the 3.8 is known to go a long way 200+ K miles... $5000 dollars, existing tranny/ fun times.

or...

Just swap it out with an LS / GM trans.

I realize that the LS swap is 2X the cost...but if I plan on keeping it like my YJ brotherin, what would you do?

Yah and Hemi or bread truck diesel swap I won't consider.

Chevy LS 5.3 or SC'ing my 3.8 I'm guessing will be the best bang for the buck.

I've got 90K on the odometer right now. I'm thinking RIPP is the way to go for power, etc.... But the 5.3 is very tempting.

09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You might get a Hemi for 10k, if you do all your own work and scrounge for parts, used engine, etc.
A new engine, installed by a reputable firm, runs anywhere from 20 to 25k here in Colorado. I went
with a Ripp.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I went with the RIPP Gen2 Stage 2 SC. No regrets. Love every minute driving it. DIY install using basic tools around the garage, takes about 6-8 hours.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yep, more and more I think about it, the RIPP makes more sense financially. 90K miles on my 3.8 isn't all that much with them being mostly highway...
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
I went with the RIPP Gen2 Stage 2 SC. No regrets. Love every minute driving it. DIY install using basic tools around the garage, takes about 6-8 hours.

In hindsight, what else changes besides the power... oil changes, mpg, noise, tires, reliability, etc... just curious...?
Unread 03-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoshum View Post
In hindsight, what else changes besides the power... oil changes, mpg, noise, tires, reliability, etc... just curious...?
Change the SC fluid every 8000 miles;

MPG increases about 2-4 mpg IF you can keep your foot out of the skinny pedal (takes a lot of self-control, haha);

When you left off the gas you may hear the blow-off valve give a high-pitched whine (I like the sound)...one day I had a Civic next to me at a stop light revving its engine...he backed off once he heard my SC whine, LOL;

Tires...no changes unless you do a lot of burnouts. I can smoke my 37's. I'd recommend upgrading to chromoly axle shafts.

Reliability...no changes. RIPP has been making SC for over 20 years. The 3.8L is very robust, and the RIPP SC is producing about 8psi, not much in terms of SC's which can go over 40psi.

Gas octane...89+ is recommended. I run 91 ocatane to be safe, in addition to the fact that Georgia mixes the gas with 10% ethanol.

Power...50% power increase. I am running an auto on 37's with 5.38's. I can now stay in overdrive while driving over the rolling hills of West Georgia / East Alabama. Used to be that I pretty much kept overdrive locked out all the time.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
BacasJK
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
Like some folks...I plan on keeping the JK forever... It's paid off... Love everything I've done to it so far...

2. LS conversion

I guess the #1 option makes sense. I take very well care of my engine, and the 3.8 is known to go a long way 200+ K miles... $5000 dollars, existing tranny/ fun times.

or...

I realize that the LS swap is 2X the cost...but if I plan on keeping it like my YJ brotherin, what would you do?

I've got 90K on the odometer right now. I'm thinking RIPP is the way to go for power, etc.... But the 5.3 is very tempting.
I love the look of the Magnason superchargers! More clean looking and it looks like a factory install. Not many Jeeps have them and they don't make them for the 2011's. Hopefully soon!

Martin
BacasJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I looked at Ripp, Magnusen, Hess and SprintEX. Went with Ripp after looking at the whole kit and price and reputation on a JK. The Ripp is a non-positive displacement vane compressor while the Magnusen, Hess and SprintEX all use a positive displacement
air blower. For only 6 to 8 psi boost (about the max you want on a 3.8), the Ripp is a simpler unit with less moving parts (positive displacement units use two lobed cams for compression as opposed to a single vane compressor). The Ripp is almost like a belt
driven turbo charger in that sense, but without the excess heat, wear and complexities of routing exhaust through the unit and oiling/cooling the center bearing.

edit - also, the Ripp is about half the weight of the Magnusen...if that matters.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

You brought up a good point about more power and keeping forever, except I have one payment left.

The Ripp would be nice, but I should think about gearing first. Since I will replace my stock tires when they wear out to 33".
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
ljrubitm
2011 JK Wrangler 

I would do Ripp,and their long tube headers.They have done dyno with this set up and it shows up a little higher then with just the SC.
ljrubitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
1972cutlass
2007 JK Wrangler 

i really like the idea of an LS swap and the 6L80, but it is expensive. i did an L92(6.2l LS) in my 72 cutlass and love it.

for the jeep, the Ripp does seem like a good option for less money. maybe one of these days i will be able to add more power to my JKU.
1972cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972cutlass View Post
i really like the idea of an LS swap and the 6L80, but it is expensive. i did an L92(6.2l LS) in my 72 cutlass and love it.

for the jeep, the Ripp does seem like a good option for less money. maybe one of these days i will be able to add more power to my JKU.
You did what in a 72? My 71 shakes it's head at you...455 olds all the way.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
1972cutlass
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
You did what in a 72? My 71 shakes it's head at you...455 olds all the way.
haha, i have no love lost for the olds powerplant. i did have a 455 built a few years back. it had a ton of low end torque but something went wrong and it spun the #1 bearing. i pulled it out a couple of years ago and put the LS engine in. It is still on the stand, but i have yet to tear it down and see what went wrong. it was disappointing. i only had about 6 or 7k miles on it when it happened.

although, i have zero regrets with the LS power. it may be down on the low end torque, but it makes up for it overall. i had it on the dyno when on the hot rod power tour this year and it was putting 380hp to the wheels and 407 lb ft. plus i am getting low to mid 20's for fuel mileage when i can keep my foot out of it. now i have added 100hp shot of N2O and have a new cam and associated components in the garage for this winter.
1972cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972cutlass View Post
haha, i have no love lost for the olds powerplant. i did have a 455 built a few years back. it had a ton of low end torque but something went wrong and it spun the #1 bearing. i pulled it out a couple of years ago and put the LS engine in. It is still on the stand, but i have yet to tear it down and see what went wrong. it was disappointing. i only had about 6 or 7k miles on it when it happened.

although, i have zero regrets with the LS power. it may be down on the low end torque, but it makes up for it overall. i had it on the dyno when on the hot rod power tour this year and it was putting 380hp to the wheels and 407 lb ft. plus i am getting low to mid 20's for fuel mileage when i can keep my foot out of it. now i have added 100hp shot of N2O and have a new cam and associated components in the garage for this winter.

Haha. Just razzing you man. Love the 455 and just never wanted to stray although they tend to have a love of overheating. Ours needed an electric fan and we changed to lower compression heads to run premium gas. Also stole a 70 toronado engine as it made about 15 hp more from the factory. Still haven't gathered why. Hah

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post

2. LS conversion

or...

Let me know if you decide to go with the RIPP and I'll get you a great deal! I have read a bunch of threads on them and people seem to be really happy with the results. It seems to me that the cost/gains ratio makes the RIPP a winner! Let me know if you'd like a quote on a supercharger or if you have any questions!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.