89K and some wobble + parts help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 89K and some wobble + parts help

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
YourAlterEgo
2009 JK Wrangler 

89K and some wobble + parts help

First time, long time, great to be here. Got a question for y'all:

I have a 09 Wrangler X full stock front end. It has a wobble/shimmy/shake, just short of the DW since it goes away at around 20mph. took it to dealer, they say i need to replace Ball joints, tie rods (RT in 52060049AE, RT out 52060048ad, LT out 52060053AE, LT in 52060052 AG). I just found out also that the steering damper has been leaking, dealer says i may need a bracket change for the damper depending on the damper and i need a track bar.

so far it seems like everyone speaks highly of the synergy ball joints, but what do y'all recommend for the tie rods, damper and the track bar. Im on a really tight budget, turns out the synergy joints are cheaper than stock.

Thanks for your help!

YourAlterEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

tie rod? or tie rod ends? hard for a solid piece of metal like the tierod to be worn out unless its bent or something. same goes for the track bar. are the bushings in the track bar worn? or is your solid metal track bar bent or broke? its always a good idea to upgrade,but if you are on a really tight budget i would replace the tie rod ends and bushings in the track bar, and keep your stock rods/bars. as for the steering dampener....its not required if you have a correct un worn steering setup. the dealership will tell you different.
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Replacing your ball joints with Synergys is probably a good idea @ 89k, however, I'd check out Planman's DW thread and check your front end first. Especially before you go and buy a list of parts that you might be able to "fix" with a torque wrench.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
YourAlterEgo
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
tie rod? or tie rod ends? hard for a solid piece of metal like the tierod to be worn out unless its bent or something. same goes for the track bar. are the bushings in the track bar worn?
This is part of what i did not understand. is every tie rod end replaceable? even on the factory bar that goes across the entire front end? I'd like to be able to get under and see what rattles around, but im physically unable to at the moment.

i ordered the synergy ball joints, and a skyjacker OEM damper, because im not expecting a perfect set-up, and ive seen the potholes up here eat cars alive.

i'd love to do the work myself, but its just not possible right now with the equipment i have and some temporary physical inabilities.
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

If everything has play I would just do a full overhaul. If you only replace one or two things and still have death wobble, you're going to kill the new parts too. At that mileage, everything is suspect including wheel bearings.

One of the best things I did for my jeep was a full synergy setup up front, though it wasnt all at once. I have their ball joints, tie rod, track bar, drag link, and steering shaft/track bar brace, along with their shouldered suspension bolts. After I replaced my front axle and installed new wheel bearings, I drove around a couple of weeks with no stabilizer to make sure there were no issues. Then installed a fox ATS adjustable steering damper to take away any little tire nibble and it drives amazing.

You don't have to go through all that, but really get in there and look for any play. Don't use stock parts. I installed most all of my synergy stuff with only a couple thousand miles on the new jeep and felt a big improvement over stock parts with each one I replaced.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post

You don't have to go through all that, but really get in there and look for any play. Don't use stock parts. I installed most all of my synergy stuff with only a couple thousand miles on the new jeep and felt a big improvement over stock parts with each one I replaced.
Any chance that's a placebo? I have 115xxx on my JK, lots of road, off road, and everything is tight. I just doubt you would notice that much if a difference.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ You are referring to the self-bias effect... when someone buys something and they instantly "feel" an improvement - aka the "throttle body" or "CAI" effect!

While I agree that a tight, stock front end is OK, there is simply no denying that the Synergy (or other aftermarket) steering setup is superior to stock. Watch your stock drag link, tie-rod, and trackbar as you use your power steering - they flex like crazy. Synergy's are made to be 200% stronger than stock. Less flexing, more solid, more reliable. Undoubtedly better performance.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

^^^sorry for the medical jargon. You answered my question but if agree, stock isn't bad so I'll replace it when necessary. I don't doubt that synergy is anything but good quality I just didn't believe his story.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
YourAlterEgo
2009 JK Wrangler 

^^^ I just find that in some cases, these better aftermarket parts are cheaper than stock. Mopar wants $360 for 2 upper/2 lower, got the synergies for 200, and i've heard of people getting them for even less.

Right now, shes a daily driver to my first real job, where i took a cut in take home pay in order to get benefits, so liquid cash is tight until i get my degree and a raise. so the motivation here is to get cheap parts that will last, so my front end will end up looking like a who's who of aftermarket brands.

Mechanically speaking im a real noob. I know my jeep well enough that i can feel and hear what goes wrong, but i just dont know enough about the actual mechanical parts, so bear with me some of these questions might seem stupid: Does anyone have a bead on some good tie rod ends? how do i know which ones screw in, in which direction, some go left, some go right? am i understanding correctly that i can just get 4 end pieces and screw them into rods that are already there and avoid having to buy $200 aftermarket rods or in the case of mopar each one has a different price?

also, what does the button on top that says "crawl this thread" do? that wont archive it or something, will it? being new i want to press buttons, but i cant help being cautious

Last edited by YourAlterEgo; 03-21-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.