8 More Months in Afghanistanland, and I can start my build! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 8 More Months in Afghanistanland, and I can start my build!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
tpearson
2014 JK Wrangler 

8 More Months in Afghanistanland, and I can start my build!

So I got a 2014 JKUR while I was on R&R, and so far all I have been able to do is add a Banks Ram Air system and some tail light guards.
Goal is to get a Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rugged Ridge Hurricane fenders, and some lights on the bumper and windshield.
Been all over online looking for reviews on these products, and haven't really come up with much. Hoping to get some insight on these products from some people who have these, bumpers and fenders.
Was also hoping to see if anyone knows of good custom fab places online, that have "unique" Jeep parts.
Last, who on here is around the Ft. Campbell area and goes wheeling on the weekends? I still gotta break my baby in when I get back.

tpearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Went through that last time I was here in Afghanistan with my 11 JKUR and I am here now doing the same thing to our TJ. Lots of good vendors here on the site. Jason at KrawlOff-Road and Kolak are two good ones I have worked with. Have fun online research is a great way to kill time and it was awesome to get home to a full garage.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
tpearson
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010
Went through that last time I was here in Afghanistan with my 11 JKUR and I am here now doing the same thing to our TJ. Lots of good vendors here on the site. Jason at KrawlOff-Road and Kolak are two good ones I have worked with. Have fun online research is a great way to kill time and it was awesome to get home to a full garage.
I appreciate it man. I've been spending most my free time looking at parts, as well as telling my wife to make room.
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2008 JK Wrangler 

Please shop around before buying the XRC bumper. I'm not telling you what to do; just some feedback from a guy that has the XRC rear bumper + carrier and would not buy again. It's made in China and the handle assembly fell off about 6 months into ownership. The carrier has never aligned properly with the post, despite the jery-rigging I employed to improve the poor fit and finish.

If I had to do things over again; I'd have done more research and bought AEV, Rock Hard, or LoD instead of Sh***ybilt. Others may disagree; just one guy's 1st-hand experience FWIW.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
mello

I have smittybillt XRC front and rear bumpers with rear tire carrier. I really like them all the way around. I don't see what everyone's negativity toward their product is. In my experience I have only one problem with the rubber bumper on rear latch wearing out and their customer service was awesome. After sending them some pictures they sent me a new latch and a whole new rear bumper.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

I have the XRC front bumper. It's lighter than i expected. I didnt actually weigh it, but i installed it myself, and it was much easier to handle than any of the other bumpers i have ever installed... maybe im just stronger than i used to be. I was hoping it would be beefier, but my expectations weren't high.

Its sturdy enough and easy to assemble. It's gonna do the job I want it to do, and the price is very attractive. The powdercoating is complete crap! The coverage is extremely thin and actually nonexistent on some of the corners. If you have seen a good powdercoating job you would be able to tell from a mile away. I wouldn't go near their rear bumper just for the fact that I know how a rear bumper is supposed to function. Moving & latching parts need to be "bulletproof"... Not "replaceable under warranty!"
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Agree with the guys above. Having a latch fail is simply unacceptable and could create a whole bunch of headache for you if it was to fail on the road and hit someone. Think SmittyBilt will cover all your lawyer fees and the subsequent judgement?

Not sure about AEV, but my RockHard bumper is ridiculously well built. Thick powder coat everywhere, slid right onto the mounts with no modification needed, immaculate welding and the latch is the same double latch type that is used on car doors.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
mello

The latch did not fail the rubber that prevents rattle was a little worn causing a mild rattle. The new bumpers come with a latch guard that prevents this problem which at the time I purchased mine they did not have the guard. Now I have it with new latch and no rattle to speak of.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

My OR-Fab latch is solid. I also like that it has a spot for a padlock. I put in on there more for insurance than security. The latch has never come undone but I have definitely left it unlatched before lol.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

Stay safe,Thanks for your service.

Vietnam 67-68

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport,Soft Top
3.21 Auto Billit
fitzz47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
tpearson
2014 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like maybe I should stay away from the smittybilt bumpers.
Still hoping to get some insight on the rugged ridge fenders.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
brady1929

Thanks for your service
brady1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
tpearson
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzz47
Stay safe,Thanks for your service. Vietnam 67-68
Thank you as well!
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
tpearson
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady1929
Thanks for your service
Thanks man!
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
TheWheelDeal
2013 JK Wrangler 

One more...

One more month for me man, all I think about when looking at the mountains around here is how badly I wish I could wheel them! I have to wait till about 8 tonight (afghan time) to call a garage to get quotes on my re-gear. That and one of my room mates just bought a 2013 sahara, so now I'll always have someone to wheel with! Everything is coming up milhouse...
TheWheelDeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.