6 Speed Transmission Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 6 Speed Transmission Problem

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
CABINHOLLOW

6 Speed Transmission Problem

Hi fellow Jeep owners!

We bought our 07 Jeep Wrangler in October…it now has 6000 miles on it. One of my new problems is a noise in the transmission when changing gears and getting back on the throttle their is a loose feeling in the drive line (best described as a feeling of a u joint out in the older jeep drive line)and a strange sound when the throw out bearing engages and releases (squeaking sound)been to the dealer twice and have yet to find let alone fix anything : ...told me it was normal and that i had bought a Wrangler...which left me wondering what this meant…also had electrical problems (dash lights and ESP ) and passenger seat squeaking ...and now after reading post just wondering when the oil leak will start...I’m really missing my 1994 Cherokee Sport 5 speed. It got totaled after 175,000 no problem faithful miles...also, older Jeep owners please wave some of us new Jeep owners are still old school...

CABINHOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
tolh13

I have a 6 seed and no noise like that.now the pass seat make a little noise.keep on the service dept. till they fix it.
1996 Harley (bad boy)
1973 WV thing
mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Our unlimited Rubi has about 7500 on it and it also makes the noise. It's a "chirp" type of noise, and the driveline feels like it's got a broken motor / tranny mount and 200,000 miles on it.

Very sloppy driveline. . . but it made it 950 miles to Moab 2 weeks ago, through Chicken Corners, Top Of The World, Gemini Bridges, Tower Arch, south side of Fins & Things, and the CO blizzard. (Not that those are hard trails by any means . . . just saying.)
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
xfactor

I have an automatic but I test drove a bunch of manuals as well and noticed the noise you are talking about. I honestly think it is normal for Wranglers and some people are just more sensitive to it than others are. It certainly had a different feel than the automatic due to the mechanical noise.

This was in all the ones I drove and honestly did not bother me in the least, but it was noticeable. Definately a little different than your typical sport sedan manual tranny.
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
tomc121
tomc121

2007 JK Wrangler 

2007 JK Sahara 6 speed is poping out of first, the other day it would not stay in 1,3,5th gears without holding it there. It was like this for half a day, on my way to the dealer shezam it started working fine??? taking it in next week to get fixed, I suspect the centering springs in the tower are hooped.
sqeaky drivers seat and drivers door piller is making a weird noise, something binding in the plastic molding. got my list for my dealer and get a free car for a few days.
other than that she is awsome off road. 12000. k in 2 months.

Update feb13, well just got my jeep back from the dealer, it turned out that somebody forgot to tighten a bracket in the tower its workin like a charm now.

Last edited by tomc121; 02-14-2007 at 12:13 AM..
tomc121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

mine makes a little noise in 4th sometimes but never popped out of gear. but it is VERY hard to shift when its cold (around 5-15 degrees)
Unread 02-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Anyone know if the gearbox is specific to the 07 Wrangler or is it another multi use component like the engine?

Either way I'm glad I opted for the extended warranty from my credit union, I don't know if they knew this was a new model year
Unread 02-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

your transmission was also used in the 05 and 06 Wranglers, its normal that it grinds going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, its a loud tranny.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Its a Jeep thing.

Its normal, the manual transmissions in the TJs were renown for being loud, and having a "marbles in a can" sound.

Its just another perk of owning a Wrangler.

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #10
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Its not normal for grinding, the NSG370 6 speed transmission has been plagued with problems since its introduction in the KJ and TJ. Its a multiuse transmission like most of our other components, built by Mercedes Benz.....
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
Sammer

I guess that means it's not likely that they'll fix it for the '08 Wranglers?
I have a '95 YJ and I love the 5 speed transmission. It shifts smoothly, it's quiet...really fun to drive. I test drove a JK with the 6 speed and found the transmission very clunky, hard to find the gears, the shift knob vibrated very badly. It was not fun to drive at all. I was hoping this was a new transmission and that they would fix the problems for next year's model. I really like driving manual transmissions so I don't want to switch to an automatic.
Sammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer

I test drove a JK with the 6 speed and found the transmission very clunky, hard to find the gears, the shift knob vibrated very badly. It was not fun to drive at all. . .

Pretty well hits the nail on the head. Most of the time I wish we'd have got the auto.
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
NewHampshire

I have a six speed and it has squeaked since 32 miles. Glad Im not alone.
NewHampshire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #14
jimhut2000

No problem with my tranny, no vibration and no difficulty finding gears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHampshire
I have a six speed and it has squeaked since 32 miles. Glad Im not alone.
Unread 02-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhut2000
No problem with my tranny, no vibration and no difficulty finding gears...
I finally got mine this morning, had a bit of trouble finding gears at first, but got the hang of it, it vibrates a little as well, but that doesn't bother me too much, figured it was just a Jeep thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.