Which 6" Long Range Driving Lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Which 6" Long Range Driving Lights?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Which 6" Long Range Driving Lights?

I will probably eventually put an LED light bar (somewhere between 10"-17") on the front of my Jeep for off roading, but also would like to put a pair of 6" round lights on the front (for that classic Jeep look) that I would use as long range driving lights when on the pavement at night.

What is the best 'bang for the buck' quality light that I should look in to? Thanks.

Unread 05-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Hella Rallye 4000 halogen for the old school look, but they are 8".

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
image-1459447143.jpg

PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

X2 for Hella Rallye lights, lotsa light, inexpensive compared to xenon/led-yet somewhat pricey, higher power draw, but they work at a distance.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Those Hella 4000s halogens are huge and heavy (6lbs) but extremely well made. They come with 100wt bulbs but you can swap in 130 watts for even more light. They are illegal in my state (Nevada) for anything other than off road use though.
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalhoon View Post
I will probably eventually put an LED light bar (somewhere between 10"-17") on the front of my Jeep for off roading, but also would like to put a pair of 6" round lights on the front (for that classic Jeep look) that I would use as long range driving lights when on the pavement at night.

What is the best 'bang for the buck' quality light that I should look in to? Thanks.
I'm a big fan of the KC HiLites SlimLite. They make them in long range, driving and fog beams. They have an all metal body and hold up really well. They also come with a harness to wire everything up with a relay. Let me know if you're interested in a quote or if you have any questions!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have some KC Day-lighters on my jeep, the long range kind. I am very happy with them. When driving on dark roads, everything and them some is visible. WIth these lights you can easily spot deer on the side of the road 100 yards away.
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's a thread from a few years ago:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...lights-996667/

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

LightForce - bright, focusable, and durable.
image-3976833023.jpg

2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the link to the old thread. That was an interesting read. I also got on the KC website and learned some stuff there. The first HID light I looked at was expensive! Near $1000 for the pair - definitely more than I want to spend on lights! But then there was also the 35 watt HID's for around $340/pair. I wonder how they would perform/compare to the 6" 100 watt or 130 watt SlimLites?

So I guess my 3 types of light choices are Halogen, HID or LED? It sounded like most people really liked the Halogen type lights in the old thread that was listed above, but it's also a couple years old, so wondering if a lot more people are going HID now, or still preferring Halogen lights based on price and 'bang for the buck'?
Unread 05-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Once you try HID or LEDs (they are both good) you’ll never go back to halogens.
Unread 05-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Have you upgraded your regular headlights yet? If not, then that is the first thing to do. Truck Lites LED headlights are great, especially when you use the anti flicker pig tail. They are street legal, so you get the benefit of using them at all times. The difference between them and the stock headlights is night and day. I just installed mine last Friday.
Unread 05-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
ryancalhoon
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Have you upgraded your regular headlights yet? If not, then that is the first thing to do. Truck Lites LED headlights are great, especially when you use the anti flicker pig tail. They are street legal, so you get the benefit of using them at all times. The difference between them and the stock headlights is night and day. I just installed mine last Friday.
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about replacing/upgrading my headlights also (wasn't sure if I'd necessarily go LED or something else less expensive that was still better than stock). I need to figure out first if my headlights are stock or if they are already upgraded (I bought my Jeep 2nd hand with a lot of mods already done). Not sure how to tell other than going and parking next to another newer stock Jeep somewhere and seeing if they look different at all. If they are stock, then I'll replace those then.
Unread 05-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #13
Fritzoc

Nice Jeep. What front bumper is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBasturd View Post
Hella Rallye 4000 halogen for the old school look, but they are 8".

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
Fritzoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Both front bumpers pictured in this thread are AEV Premium winch bumpers.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm putting in a vote for KC Apollo lights in the driving variety. Mine are bright, they are cheap, and easy to work with/well made. Oh and a plus, made in America.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.