6" Lift on Stock Driveshafts???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 6" Lift on Stock Driveshafts????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Others have already said what I would have, and I agree 100%. My "OCD"-ness would have been to measure the driveshaft lengths I would need AFTER the lift was installed. Whether you have a 2- or 4-door, you will most likely need to remove the front shaft even for normal driving around town. The rear on a 4-door MAY be okay, but stay on the road, and avoid going up driveway entrances fast--I'd be concerned to run out of slip-yoke and separate the 2 pieces. I don't have experience with a 2-door JK, but on my TJ, a 4" lift in the rear was the ultimate limit, and that was with running a t-case drop.

'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

FYI, I removed and replaced the rear driveshaft on my unlimited the other day and it felt like the slip yoke was a mile long. It felt like I would eventually pull it apart if it weren't for the boot. So it may survive. Or it may literally pull apart and destroy lots of things.
The angles on my 3.5" lift were not bad at all. Nearly zeroed on both sides. So, you can see how it works for a short drive and decide if you want to risk in.
The front driveshaft, no freaking way.

Wait if you have a two door I wouldn't even try it.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am also excited about seeing the results. How are you planning on getting in and out of it, step ladder?
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Here is a google search of what I found for a JKU with 6" lift. Apparently has 39"s I would make an argument that they look small....

Its gonna be funny when someone gets on here and is like "Hey, thats my jeep"

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yup, she'd look better (and be more functional) with a set of 40's and the proper axle assemblies to swing them...

A lift that big reminds me of the oilfield bozos going around town with their 8-10" Rough Country diesel truck lifts and their 'tapout' decals in the rear windows. I'd say that JK would do some interesting bunny-hop bouncing with that 6" lift when she slid down the side of a rock or along an obstacle... booooiiinngg!!!
SubAtomicGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #21
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You could disconnect both shafts and not use it.

Next time plan better.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Yup, she'd look better (and be more functional) with a set of 40's and the proper axle assemblies to swing them...

A lift that big reminds me of the oilfield bozos going around town with their 8-10" Rough Country diesel truck lifts and their 'tapout' decals in the rear windows. I'd say that JK would do some interesting bunny-hop bouncing with that 6" lift when she slid down the side of a rock or along an obstacle... booooiiinngg!!!
Haha ahhh the mystical rig rocket! I really love the ones where the body entirely sits above the tires, quite a few in pickup country here!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #23
rayder1

Sounds like you asked for expert and experienced advice and got some honest answers. How about either:

1) take the advice of experienced knowledgable jeep owners ( read about extreme lift nightmares in JP and 4Wheel magazines),call it good and cut it back to a 4" lift

2) say "screw y'all" do what you want ( which it sounds like you are trying to justify) and please post the aftermath photos so others can see why you don't throw a 6" amateur kit on a jeep.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a RK 2.5" lift. I can't imagine adding 3+ more inches of lift to my JK and still using the stock drive shafts for anything. Let alone all of the "other" stuff you would need to purchase if you are actually going to drive it anywhere.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have fun trying to achieve enough caster for your rig to drive with a semblance of civility......

....among plenty of other issues with going up that high.

Pointless. Dumb. Unnecessary. Do your homework next time.....or now, that works too.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Correct. You'll soon want a corrected front housing in order to meet the caster/pinion angle requirements.

Teraflex offers a 6" long arm option. Some of the TF guys run them with their axles (Tera44 & 60) and they do perform well. However, IMHO they don't do any better than the 4". Frankly, a JK with good 35s and a quality 2.5" suspension will go virtually anywhere.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.