6" Lift Kit help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 6" Lift Kit help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
warriorwrangler
2007 JK Wrangler 

6" Lift Kit help

I am considering buying the 6 inch rough country 4 door lift (link below) before I do I want to know if I would have to replace the front and rear driveshafts after I install it or if any other parts would need to be purchased in order to properly run this system. Plus any reviews of the lift would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_6flex.html

warriorwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

it says under the note section:

• 2012-2013 models require exhaust modification to
clear front driveshaft.
• Exhaust Extensions or Exhaust Y-pipe (4-door
ONLY) available below
• Front and rear driveshafts are Required to replace the factory limited travel shafts.
• 2 door kit also includes front and rear coil spring
spacers.

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What size tire do you plan on running 44"?

There are many issues that come with this high of a lift. Number one being caster which can only be corrected by a C cut and turn or aftermarket diff housing. To do a 6" lift properly you are looking in the neighborhood of 6K.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yup, in that range $1k per inch lift for a well behaved and properly set up lift would be the norm,.....so, if the kit is short of that, it is also short of parts. A 6" lift on a JK is ridiculous in my opinion, not needed and raises the COG unnecessarily. You could run 44s at that lift, if you had a D80 f/r and full hydraulic steering lol
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

If I was you I would forget this lift. JUNK no one runs a short arm 6" lift, that is LONG arm country. You do not use a drop pit arm and Lowered trackbar. You RAISE the track bar mount and FLIP the drag on JK at 3+ lifts.

Having a Zero caster wont work as said. you need a custom made front axle with a turned up pinion, so you can have some caster.

Install this kit and be ready for a match of death wobble. T
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Rough *** Country! That's a lot of lift on a JK, man. If you're going that way, you gotta do it right and that costs $$$$$.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

To the OP, why a 6 inch lift in the first place...that is extremely high for a JK as noted above. That was not uncommon on a TJ (with a long arm kit), but is not really necessary on a JK. On second thought, if you do it, RC is not the way to go...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

warriorwrangler, all of the above posts are correct.

Listen to what they say! Very rarely will you see a JK (your model of Wrangler) on such an extreme lift height. The costs out weigh the benefits, by far.

The JK has very large wheel wells compared to previous generations of Wranglers. i.e. With only 2.5" of lift, and trimming the fenders, I am able to run 37's on mine.

I would look at a different brand of lift kit. Teraflex and Rock Krawler seem to get the most favorable feedback from users on this forum. There are others out there that are also great. Do some more research before you drop your hard earned $$$ on something this expensive and regret it.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

I just got the AEV 2.5 kit. I will let you know how it handles. I will hopefully have it installed in a couple of weeks. I tried to keep the low center of gravity.

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

What do you plan on overcoming with this lift kit.

Once you go long arm you can't really go back.
LTGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorwrangler View Post
I am considering buying the 6 inch rough country 4 door lift (link below) before I do I want to know if I would have to replace the front and rear driveshafts after I install it or if any other parts would need to be purchased in order to properly run this system. Plus any reviews of the lift would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_6flex.html
Read the part about LA kits. It will help.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/educa...d-questions/92

This is a bit long, but I would read it before I do something so extreme.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/educa...d-questions/60
LTGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
warriorwrangler
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am not a big crawler or anything I am 90 percent highway. Does his change anything or would it still not perform correctly unless all the othe the modifications are done. I have 33's on a the moment but plan on going bigger down the road. Main reason I wan the lift is just I like to be high off the ground and think it looks better. I know I'm gonna get some flak for that but hey, it's just what I like. So there is no cheap way really to do a 6 inch lift that's what I am hearing? I know it is not necessary and all that but it does look great. I would think there would be a relatively inexpensive way to get this lift to work for mainly highway. Thanks so much for the info and I am going to check out those links after work LTGreek. Grandchee I look forward to your review!
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorwrangler
I am not a big crawler or anything I am 90 percent highway. Does his change anything or would it still not perform correctly unless all the othe the modifications are done. I have 33's on a the moment but plan on going bigger down the road. Main reason I wan the lift is just I like to be high off the ground and think it looks better. I know I'm gonna get some flak for that but hey, it's just what I like. So there is no cheap way really to do a 6 inch lift that's what I am hearing? I know it is not necessary and all that but it does look great. I would think there would be a relatively inexpensive way to get this lift to work for mainly highway. Thanks so much for the info and I am going to check out those links after work LTGreek. Grandchee I look forward to your review!
Actually it's getting it to work for highway that's the expensive and hard part. At 6" lift you will have no caster which means no road manners, handling will be atrocious and overall not very safe. Unless you spend a lot of money to have it done properly of course.
As for looks. A 6" lift will just look stupid with anything less then a 40" tire. Just think about this a minute, 37" work and look perfect with a 2.5" lift and flats or a 4" lift and stock fenders.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
warriorwrangler
2007 JK Wrangler 

So if I got a 2.5 inch suspension lift that could be installed and would drive safely without any other modifications? Then if I put a 2 inch body lift would it still be alright?
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorwrangler
So if I got a 2.5 inch suspension lift that could be installed and would drive safely without any other modifications? Then if I put a 2 inch body lift would it still be alright?
Body lifts are not bad in 1" but 2" will cause its own set of problems.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.