5 used cars to avoid! 07 jeep wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 5 used cars to avoid! 07 jeep wrangler?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
thegirl

5 used cars to avoid! 07 jeep wrangler?

avoid-these-5-used-cars-plus-5-to-buy: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Is this true?

thegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, I've been following the board since May , and I have noticed many threads on starting problems from the 2007 JKs. I commented on a thread today because his was the first 2008 that I remember seeing. It's always a good idea to avoid the first generation new vehicle. Try and give at least 2 years to get all the bugs out.

The good news is that maybe the price of the 2007 will drop a bit.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Unread 08-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

The article specified the two door. Mentioned transmissions and brakes.

First 2007 is the introductory year, that is to me a warning to stay away, I passed on 2007's when looking for a new Jeep back then for this reason alone.

Second, we all know about the auto trans issue with over flowing fluid and fire and the associated recall.

Third, some report their rear brakes going in remarkably short time, under 25k miles. Apparently this is associated with the stability control system and its actuation of the rear brakes too frequently. (Like every bad seam on the highway, for example.)

So that about sums it up...

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

i love reading the posts under articles like this. sometimes i wish i was that ignorant...
jeepcache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
wannahdawg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i think it's true to a certain extent.... wait a minute before the flaming starts... you have to look at who drives both vehicles, the Wrangler/CRV, and the type of person to fill out a JD Power & Assoc's survey. Most people nowaday's buys a wrangler just like they would a harley. To put the wind in their hair and have more 'freedom'. when they forget to put their top back up and a good storm comes and soaks their dash, they get eletrical problems. Then you also have the 17 yo kid who's dad bought him a brand new wrangler and he goes and trashes it off road "cause its a jeep, i thought it could handle it". He has drivetrain problems. Now look at the owner of the CRV... drives it around town and to take the kids to soccer practice and choir practice. so it gets driven exactly like it was designed too. so now that we've compared cars, we compare owners.... the owners that complain about a jeep being a jeep are the ones who usually don't understand that it's not water PROOF, nor is it a rock crawling juggy that they see on tv. so when it doesn't perform that way they cry about it and go buy a lexus or hummer. those of us that buy a jeep for what it is, fix our SELF induced problems by getting on forums and other stuff, not crying about it to JD & A... then trading it for a CRV. i know this was long, but that's my opinion... that's why i don't listen/read JDA and car & driver, motor trend, etc etc.... hope this helps...

later,

wanna
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
wannahdawg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPJ View Post

First 2007 is the introductory year, that is to me a warning to stay away, I passed on 2007's when looking for a new Jeep back then for this reason alone.

Second, we all know about the auto trans issue with over flowing fluid and fire and the associated recall.

Third, some report their rear brakes going in remarkably short time, under 25k miles. Apparently this is associated with the stability control system and its actuation of the rear brakes too frequently. (Like every bad seam on the highway, for example.)

JPK
i forgot to add this in my post but i completely agree with you as well. the first year of any vehicle body/chassis/etc change always has the associated problems that go along with it. until the kinks get worked out the vehicle always suffers the bashing... look at the 6.0 ford superduty, it is an awesome motor, as long as you change the head studs...(granted you shouldn't have to do this on a brand new truck) but it's a brand new motor that they rushed into production. you change the head studs and that motor will get well into the 200,000 mile marks...

later,

wanna
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPJ View Post

JPK
Correct me if Im wrong but your Second issue goes along for the 2008s as well and the 3rd issue seems to be with all JKs and other makes and models aswell. And as far as the brakes just replace them when needed and/or upgrade and Done. The fire issue, just install a trans cooler and your set.

Unread 08-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
Armycop
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had a 2007 Steel Blue JK 2-door in Dec 06 and yes it had some problems. I had the stall bug, the stereo bug, the leaky roof (a steady stream from in between the Freedom panels), and the squeeky clutch. Once all that was fixed, I loved my 2-door. I eventually traded it in for an '08 (for a growing family) and I haven't had a single problem with it as of yet (knock on wood) in almost 2 years.
Unread 08-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes definitely true! If you see a Jeep, or for that matter any vehicle coming at you, do whatever you must to avoid it so as not to get hit.

Magazines to avoid: CONSUMERS REPORTS, it will give you brain cancer.

If you plan on doing the Rubicon Trail you should rent a Honda CRV. Hertz has specialy equipped Honda's prepared for it. They have a special promotion running now where they will throw in a soccer ball.

Five cars with high reliablility ratings:

Skoda
Diesel Cadillacs from the 70's
Vulva
Fiat 500
Yugo

An extra feature of the above five star cars is that Consumer Reports has trail rated them capable of carrying 6x8 sheets of laminate.
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Alaska-HWY JK

My 07 hasn't had any of the common issues and it has 80,000kms. I did get transmission shudder but the dealer changed out the torque converter (even though theres an AA Rubicrawler in there).
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

Is it true?

YES!

Wait and get a 2011. You'll be glad you did
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have two 2007s and haven't had any major issues. Had a strange stereo pop in the first one but was fixed and a steering stabilizer went on the first one. My second 07 hasn't had any major issues other than me driving it in the bush and knocking off the rear bumper...
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
Is it true?

YES!

Wait and get a 2011. You'll be glad you did
I don't know about that. They are adding more bells a whistles. I'm expecting to see threads like, "My radio volume goes up and down when the lights are on."
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvRSpeedX3 View Post
Correct me if Im wrong but your Second issue goes along for the 2008s as well and the 3rd issue seems to be with all JKs and other makes and models aswell. And as far as the brakes just replace them when needed and/or upgrade and Done. The fire issue, just install a trans cooler and your set.

You're not wrong, but they were just looking at the '07's, and so my post was directed at '07' issues (whether they apply to later years as well or not.)

I was aggregating issues. The common new platform issues (1) plus the know JK issues (2 & 3.)

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.