Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

5-Tire Rotation

29K views 63 replies 47 participants last post by  green89yj 
#1 ·
I'm up for my second tire rotation. The first rotation I asked the dealer to do a five tire rotation and rotate the spare in and they looked at me like I had five heads. Of course they did it anyway. I figure by the time the tires are warn out I'm going to by 5 new ones, bigger, more aggressive you know the deal. I didn't want to get stuck with a brand new spare different from what I buy. Is anyone else doing this? Are there any reasons it would be bad?

#32 ·
can't understand why anyone who has a full-size spare would not do a 5-tire rotation. (on any vehicle so equipped)

Tires are date stamped for a reason- age deteriorates them even if you don't drive on them. Why save it?

And using all 5 gets you 20% more use out of the set (as another poster pointed out).

I do all 5 at every oil change interval (5k, which is, happily, when my OCI goes off, too).

I do it myself and I get a good look at my brake pads and inspect the whole suspension, look for leaks, etc. I know the rotation pattern and I know the torque is correct.

but, damn, them suckers are hefty (stock/Rubi), I feel for ya if you have have anything bigger!

#42 ·
This is true. I did a 5 tire rotation every 3500-4500 miles with my MTZ's and after 40,000 miles I was still able to get $400 for the used set.

#43 ·
I do it every 6k, and I have a pattern written down in my logbook, but offhand, i think I go SP to LF, LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR, and RR to spare... do't quote m on that tho... the point is that you do it the same way every time so they all wear the same, which is why I have it writeen down! It's all good.

#45 ·
I do NOT do a 5 tire rotation. I leave the spare where it is. Since I have a replacement warranty on all my tires, I'd rather wear out the 4 and just have to buy 4 new ones instead of 5 when the time comes. Then again, I love my KM2's and still be replacing them with another set when mine are worn out.

#46 ·
Great - then 10 years from now, you'll actually need ot use the spare and put it on only to have it fall appart immediately because it is old rubber (tires do get old - they ought to put expiration dates on them - they do put year month and year of manufacture though).

#53 ·
Discovered a good reason to do the 5-wheel rotate last weekend. I rotated all 5 on my first set because I wanted to replace with BFG's. I have only been rotating 4 tires with the BFGs. Done around 20k on them. Last weekend I pretty much destroyed a tire on the rocks and had to swop. Since the spare is still new you can actually feel the difference in the Jeep. If they had all been rotated then they would have been about even.

#58 ·
Is it too late?

Previous owner only did a 4 tire rotation. I can tell because the spare still has the little "new tire hairs" on it. I bought this 08 Unlimited Rubi with 13,000 miles on it. Is it too late to throw the 5th one into the rotation, or should I just wiat and put it in the mix with my set of new tires when I need them?

Also, as a side note, I came from driving a Honda Accord. Every time I rolled to a stop with the Rubi, I would feel a definate slow vibration--almost the same feeling as though the truck was about to stall--- same type of rumble. I thought that it was just the "nubs" on the tires at slow speeds. Turns out, I looked a little closer and it was some pretty serious cupping on both front tires. I got an allignment for 100 bucks, put the fron tires on the rear to "grind them down" to smooth again, and rear to the front. The new rears are smoothing out nicely, but damn... wish I wouldve caught that sooner.

Sean

Stock 08 Rubicon Unlimited

#59 ·
There is no cost saving in only rotating 4 then only buying 4 new tires. 5 tire rotation nets you 25% more mileage per set so in the end it all works out even. Its not cheaper only buying 4. If you decide to change tire size, brand or style you will still have to buy a matching spare. And that rear tire will deteriorate rather quickly just sitting on the back in the sun.
As for the look of a new spare on the back. I have more respect for the Jeep owner who has a matching worn tire as a spare then a shiny new spare and worn tires on the Jeep.
I mark my tires/wheels 1 to 5 when the new tires first go on and record in my log book where they go on each rotation. If I have to go to the dealer I ensure that they put the tires back where they were. I usually rotate my own.

#64 ·
I'm in high school so during the summer and outside of football season I have plenty of free time to be rotating my tires. I do them clockwise probably once a month. If I ever get bored or if I'm out in the garage workin on something and have the Jeep jacked up already I'll rotate them around. Any problems with doing the clockwise rotation and doing it frequently?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.