5-Tire Rotation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 5-Tire Rotation

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
FireLAB
2008 JK Wrangler 

5-Tire Rotation

I'm up for my second tire rotation. The first rotation I asked the dealer to do a five tire rotation and rotate the spare in and they looked at me like I had five heads. Of course they did it anyway. I figure by the time the tires are warn out I'm going to by 5 new ones, bigger, more aggressive you know the deal. I didn't want to get stuck with a brand new spare different from what I buy. Is anyone else doing this? Are there any reasons it would be bad?

FireLAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Coming from being a tire tech for a bit a while back, I can tell you that the 5 tire rotation is just fine. You do need to make shure you do it EVERY time you rotate though. Keeps the pattern concistent.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I am not doing it, but I upgraded tires after 3K miles...but there is not a reason that I am aware of to not do it...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
liquids
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have no plans to replace my stock tires until they're kaput. I'm doing 5-tire rotation, so it should give me any extra year of wear on them. Then I'm going to buy four new tires instead of five and keep one of the worn ones as a spare, saving the cost of a fifth replacement.

Have Fun Out There.
Jeep
liquids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I do all 5... Not sure when the time comes if I will go bigger or different tire or just get the same size/tire so figure I might as well rotate all 5 and give my self a little longer life.
Unread 09-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm doing all 5 as I want to replace with more aggressive tires and have had no problems.
Unread 09-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
mountravlr

I'm doing all five, for the reasons already mentioned. When they are all worn out, I'm getting 5 of the BFG KM-2 tires. Where's the best deal for them?
mountravlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

www.tirepackage.com was the cheapest I found when I purchased. Wheels, tires, balanced and delivered on time. I have no complaints.
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
dstephns
2008 JK Wrangler 

Might as well join the party. I'm doing a 5 tire rotation as well. Every 3000 miles. In Arizona the sun/heat does as much damage as driving on them so I thought I might as well get use out of the spare. As others have stated when the time comes I'll be buying 5 instead of four new ones.
dstephns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think it's more important to rotate all 5 tires when you have a really deep tread, like the Wrangler GS-A's, BFG AT's, etc.

When I got my TJ, the stock GS-A's were pretty worn down compared to the spare. The stock tread was so deep compared to more highway type tires, that even worn down that much, they were still fine for driving.

If I had to use the spare, it would be like having a different size tire on the Jeep. I'm not sure how much difference that little bit would make, but I wouldn't want to put it in 4HI with it like that.

Now I have General Grabber AT2's and am planning to rotate all 5.
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
pwygant
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ha ha... My dealer sort of looked at me the same way the other day. He indicated something along the lines of "You want to rotate all 5 - That's sort of an odd request?" I guess they don't do many 5 wheel rotations.
pwygant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

4 only for me. I like the idea of a nice tire on the back instead of a 20,000+ worn out eyesore. If I used a cover, I would do a 5 tire rotation.

Ummmm...Anyone want to buy a Mickey Thompson Baja Claw 35" tire on 16" rim? Has less than 100 mile son it. lol
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
stunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been doing a 5 wheel rotation... I think it's the best bet for all of us having a 5th normal wheel. If you paid for that extra wheel you're lugging around, you might as well use it!!

Be sure to always rotate them the same way...

I use this chart:
5wheelrotation.jpg  
OME HD ZJ/LJ Combo Lift, OME Long-Travel Nitrocharger shocks, AA SYE + CV DS, Nth Degree Mobility TT, JKS Adj. Rear UCAs, JKS Adj. Front & Rear LCAs, JKS Adj. Front & Rear Trackbars, JKS 'Quicker' Discos, 33x10.5 KM2s on Stock Ravines, Warn Front and Rear Bumpers, Bestop Tinted Window Kit.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="navy"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5322408#post5322408"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]See My Build-Up Here[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[COLOR="Navy"]My other posts:[/COLOR]
[COLOR="navy"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569601"][COLOR="Navy"]Foglight Switch Operation & Pin-Out[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579055"][COLOR="Navy"]OME HD Coils - Let's End the Confusion!![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571323"][COLOR="Navy"]JK 'style' bumpers for TJ? Do they even exist?[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="Navy"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588694"][COLOR="Red"]Caster? Pulling to right after lift...[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5664193&posted=1#post5664193"][COLOR="Navy"]LED Third Brake Light made out of a Tic-Tacs Box[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"][B]Blue Jeep Club Member #279[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
stunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
I've been doing a 5 wheel rotation... I think it's the best bet for all of us having a 5th normal wheel. If you paid for that extra wheel you're lugging around, you might as well use it!!

Be sure to always rotate them the same way...

I use this chart:
Yeah, I told the idiots at the tire shop to rotate that way. Then when I was pumping gas later that weekend, I just happened to notice that the spare had gotten move to the left rear, and the left front was move to the spare SO now I have no real knowledge of what actually ended up where But all is not loss, I just know that from here on, I have to rotate the following in order to make sure all tires get equal road time.

Spare to LR
LR to Rf
RF to RR
RR to LF
LF to Spare

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I took mine in not long ago for a rotation...when they said it was ready I noticed they hadn't touched the spare and I made them rotate it into the line-up...then, as they were doing that, I noticed that for some reason they hadn't balanced two of the tires (I paid for all of them)...so I stood there and made them run every one of them again in front of me...one of them was pointed out as being wayyy out of balance - they balanced it but said that one was kind of screwed up somehow and they recommended that I leave that one on as my spare from now on... Which is the only reason I guess I wouldn't keep a five tire rotation going. Last 4 sets I have always rotated all 5 and they seem to last a lot longer that way - BFG AT's by the way (over a 17 yr period in two Jeeps).
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.