5 inch backspacing with 35x12.50 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 5 inch backspacing with 35x12.50

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Reply
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #16
4x4Cajun
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiROX View Post
Looks really good I like how the tires do not stick out- Did you do any thing to stop the rubbing?
Thanks.

Not really, I just didn't turn the steering wheel all the way to full lock. If I did and felt the tire rubbing, I would just back off a bit. Not like I was losing any turning radius anyway.

__________________
2014 JKU Rubicon X, Billet Silver, auto trans, leather, tow package, color matched top and fenders, 430N Nav and remote start. Plus all the stuff that comes with the X package Previous: 2011 Unlimited Sahara, Nav Auto, Rusty's 3.25 Lift Kit, Rug Ridge Bumper, 18 x 9" Pro Comp 7031, 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, XRC8 Winch, 4.88s...
4x4Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #17
ar325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 29
thanks for the post
ar325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #18
hdtrader
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Greater Tennessee Valley
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by medijeep View Post
I too run 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. The rims are 17x9 Ion Alloys with 5" BS. Had to trim the front air dam and the rear wheel well next to the rocker guards.
So anything less than 5" backspacing would make the tire stick out beyond the fender flares more? And positive offset (+10mm) would move it out even more?
__________________
hdtrader
Huntsville, Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

...screw a bunch of smilies
hdtrader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #19
medijeep
Member
 
medijeep's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maine, Maine
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtrader View Post
So anything less than 5" backspacing would make the tire stick out beyond the fender flares more? And positive offset (+10mm) would move it out even more?
I cant speak for the offset, but yes, less backspacing will cause your tire to stick out further.
medijeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #20
SLADE
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 26537
Posts: 1,974
Wheel width plays a roll when going off of back spacing. A 17x9 with 5" BS will stick out 1" farther than a 17x8 with 5" BS but a 17x8" with 4" BS will be equal to the 17x9 with 5" BS.

The Offset is the Wheel mounting surface's relation to the centerline of the wheel.

Backspacing is the wheel mounting surfaces relation to the inside bead (relation/location to the vehicle).

The backspacing needed remains constant but the offset can vary from one wheel to another.
__________________
2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #21
JoonHoss
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,458
Double post :
__________________
Quote:
It's hard to say no to yoo-hoo, the name literally beckons...

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
JoonHoss
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
Wheel width plays a roll when going off of back spacing. A 17x9 with 5" BS will stick out 1" farther than a 17x8 with 5" BS but a 17x8" with 4" BS will be equal to the 17x9 with 5" BS.

The Offset is the Wheel mounting surface's relation to the centerline of the wheel.

Backspacing is the wheel mounting surfaces relation to the inside bead (relation/location to the vehicle).

The backspacing needed remains constant but the offset can vary from one wheel to another.
Agree (mostly) but the tire/rim calculator I use states only 1/2" increase (inside or outside) for a 1" increase in rim width for the same backspacing? If the offset is the same, then they would stick out 1" full inch

www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Hoss
__________________
Quote:
It's hard to say no to yoo-hoo, the name literally beckons...

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
SLADE
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 26537
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Agree (mostly) but the tire/rim calculator I use states only 1/2" increase (inside or outside) for a 1" increase in rim width for the same backspacing? If the offset is the same, then they would stick out 1" full inch

www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Hoss


If the backspacing remains the same from an 8" wheel to a 9" wheel, The inside bead of both wheels remains at the same location. The additional 1" will be added to the outside of the wheel. The offset of both wheels will be different though.
__________________
2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.