5.7 wrangler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 5.7 wrangler

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 12-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
mackssrt

I've already contacted AEV about the possibility. I'd just like to get it that way stock. I have the i6 in my cherokee and it is a solid worker, no argument. Jeep is also using the engine in several other vehicles in their line, so it makes sense to me that they might offer this in the future. Especially with the new 4door. They would get me in one if they did, quickly. They put a v8 with a factory warranty in the wrangler and who isn't going to take that option? I bet they would get over a 50% take rate. There is no other comperable vehicle out there. Maybe a ten year old Defender? Thirty year old bronco? My problem, is once you put 35's on one with the v6, and some other goodies, the i6/v6 just dogs out at altitude(I'm in Colorado).

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2005 Ram srt10 regular cab
2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
mackssrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBABOW
I have a 2 door jk . i have own hemis and a c5 with a v8. i have noticed that anyone owning the JK will say like me it has plenty of power and is suprisingly quick when needed. All articles written say the say. It seems only those with out a jk are complaining about the lack of power.
Compared to my TJ with a 4.0, the Unlimited is a dog. I've taken an Unlimited out on the street for a test drive once and have driven both the swb JK and the Unlimited on a paved track around cones. The swb JK was noticibly peppier than the Unlimited. All of the JKs that I tested had the auto tranny.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #18
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBABOW
I have a 2 door jk . i have own hemis and a c5 with a v8. i have noticed that anyone owning the JK will say like me it has plenty of power and is suprisingly quick when needed. All articles written say the say. It seems only those with out a jk are complaining about the lack of power.
I think most are complaining about the 4 door Unlimited. I have test drove both the 2 door Rubi and 4 door with hardtops/full doors on the highway and the 2 door has ample power while the 4 door IMHO needs a few extra ponys. Off road the 4 door Rubi's performance I felt was fine as it has the 4:1 tcase.( I drove vehicles at Camp Jeep and at dealers).

I really want to buy an Unlimited Rubi and am holding out a bit to see how the great engine debate shakes out.

I agree that an optional engine will probably not be available for a couple of years due to current high demand and the fact that DCX would like to recover the cost of tooling and new plant that was added for the JK.

It is getting very hard to wait though, especially due to the fact that a local dealer has a Black Rubi Unlimited on the lot that would look better in my driveway.
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #19
Crazy88888s

The 3.8 Is Plenty Fine

As you can decipher from my screen name, I generally like 8 cylinder cars. I have five of those in fact ranging from a 312hp 4.0 to a 405hp 7.6. I picked up a Sahara Unlimited for my wife this evening and drove it in various conditions for about 25 miles including on the highway and up a 1200 foot incline at 70mph.

I can happily report to the folks who seem to be complaining that the 3.8 is absolutely fine in the Sahara U. Reaching speed is not a problem, maintaining speed is not a problem and balance in the vehicle is just a delight.

For any folks who are real potential buyers I can assure you all that the 3.8 will not be your issue. Test-drive compainers and side-line spectators can carp about the "lack of grunt" if they like, but their voices should not weigh on the potential buyer.

In my humble opinion, as a car lover and V8 fanatic, the elegant balance of the Sahara U (or an JK U, for that matter) will likely be upset by the extra weight and distorted weight distibution of a 5.7. The poster who mentioned the 4.7 could be onto something but the 5.7 or anything larger will set off the tilt sensors on the JK.
Crazy88888s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #20
tolh13

If you put a magna flow and a cold air intake on you even be happier with the 3.8.as far as a v8 the wrangler just got a 5 star crash test rating from the government in front end in part because of the space in front of the v6.
1996 Harley (bad boy)
1973 WV thing
mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 02:45 AM   #21
Ayrow

Well, personally speaking, I test drove a Sahara Unlimited yesterday and was surprised at the pep and power under 50mph, especially after reading everything on this forum. Around town I had no problems.
HOWEVER, as soon as I hit the interstate it became evident that there needs to be more power under there. Accelerating up a ramp to merge with flowing traffic and passing was pretty.....lousy. I know the Wrangler wasn't designed for the interstate, but c'mon, you put 4 doors on this thing and you are asking it be more that just an off-roading vehicle. The average Unlimited owner is certainly going to spend more time on the interstate with this thing than in the off-road world. Maybe a different muffler and intake will help, but they will need to be pretty influential to be of any success.

Personally, my choices of a new SUV boil down to the new Xterra and this Jeep. I'd hate to say that I am going to choose an Xterra simply because it has a much better (read: more powerful) engine, but that's how it's looking to turn out. The Xterra's power is a kick in the pants compared to the Jeep.
Ayrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 04:11 AM   #22
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrow
Personally, my choices of a new SUV boil down to the new Xterra and this Jeep. I'd hate to say that I am going to choose an Xterra simply because it has a much better (read: more powerful) engine, but that's how it's looking to turn out. The Xterra's power is a kick in the pants compared to the Jeep.
sinner. and you are mistaken.
click here.
and this is in the super-heavy unlimited rubicon...
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 05:59 AM   #23
UTAH

I've got both the 4.0 TJ and the 3.8 JK. And, they've both got 33" tires. They're both pretty peppy around town but the JK really shines on the freeway in comparison. I think that's where the aerodynamics difference between the two kicks in. I have to floor the TJ just to keep pace with traffic. The JK still has power left to spare on the freeway and does not feel like it's struggling.

Bill
Unread 12-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #24
DShizzle
My daughter is SAXON

Glad I am not the only one to notice that
possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".
DShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #25
Ayrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDegenerate
click here.

Ummm.....you just made a fool of yourself. I'm not trying to bash the Jeep, but in every catagory from that link you sent me, from acceleration to braking, the Jeep faired MUCH worse than most of the other vehicles, especially the Xterra.
I'm not sure what you were trying to prove be posting that link. Maybe that you don't know how to read bargraphs.
Unread 12-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #26
UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrow
...the Jeep faired MUCH worse than most of the other vehicles, especially the Xterra.
I guess it depends on your perspective. The Xterra is a fine vehicle and does what it was designed to do well. No one wishes to detract from that.

But, consider that the Wrangler's strengths do not lay in how well it accelerates or brakes compared to others. Consider the Wrangler to be more of an off-road vehicle made street legal. It's not going to do as well on measures of street performance - and expecting it to do so is unrealistic.

Consider that other vehicles in the JK's class would not do as well on an RTI measure (e.g., articulation), approach and departure angles, breakover, fording ability, and (of course) off-road capability right out of the box. Consider that most other vehicles the Wrangler is judged against do not have the strength of live axles or the toughness of body-on-frame construction (both of which diminish on-street performance).

Jeepers know that what others see as the Wrangler's weaknesses in on-street performance are due to its off-road strengths. It's a trade-off we're used to dealing with.

Bill
Unread 12-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
Bayou Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAH
Jeepers know that what others see as the Wrangler's weaknesses in on-street performance are due to its off-road strengths. It's a trade-off we're used to dealing with.

Bill
I think this is 100% incorrect. More horsepower and better brakes would have only helped offroad as well as made it more competitive on road. These downfalls won't keep me from buying a JK Unlimited, but I would gladly pay more for a larger engine that comes with better brakes.

In the same light, whats the point of using stock 16" wheels if you aren't going to use the largest brakes that will fit. It's already been found that 15" wheels will fit fine.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #28
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDegenerate
click here.
not sure what you were trying to show either, in comparsion of on-road abilities, the xtrerra smoked the wrangler in every category

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #29
Scootr
2007 JK Wrangler 

The 5.7 weighs 50 lbs more than the old 4.0, does anyone know how much the new 3.8 weighs? My point?...I don't think the weight difference is as much as some may think. I've owned two TJ's in the past and now have a Ram with the 5.7. I really want the JK after my lease on the Ram is up but it'll be damn hard to give up the Hemi. This engine is awesome in every way! Put it in the JK...are you listening DC?!!!!!

[B] 2007 JK "X" 2dr [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Jeep Green[/COLOR],auto, 4.10's, 6 disc Infinity system with sub, 32's w/Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 8179 wheels, Smittybilt SRC side bars,Sirius 1 unit, Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS . Former Jeeps...02 and 05 TJ Sports
[COLOR="Red"]SEMPER FI ![/COLOR]
[/B]
Scootr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2006, 02:42 AM   #30
Ayrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootr
The 5.7 weighs 50 lbs more than the old 4.0, does anyone know how much the new 3.8 weighs? My point?...I don't think the weight difference is as much as some may think. I've owned two TJ's in the past and now have a Ram with the 5.7. I really want the JK after my lease on the Ram is up but it'll be damn hard to give up the Hemi. This engine is awesome in every way! Put it in the JK...are you listening DC?!!!!!

Heck no, they're not listening. If they were listening, we wouldn't be wishing for a diesel version of the Wrangler here in the States.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.