5.7 wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 5.7 wrangler

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
mackssrt

5.7 wrangler

Noob here and search is down, so this may be a topic already covered. Sorry if it is. I'm very interested in the new 4door wrangler, but am amazed that there is not a larger engine offered. Specifically the 5.7. I have looked at AEV for a couple years, but family is too large for a 2door and thus have hung on to my 99 grand cherokee. Is there any hint that the 5.7 will be offered in the future in the wranglers? Thanks!

Craig

mackssrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackssrt
Is there any hint that the 5.7 will be offered in the future in the wranglers?
Welcome to the forum, Craig.

My take on it (which I've expressed in other threads on the topic) is that if - and I do mean IF - Jeep was considering alternative Wrangler engines (e.g., like the 5.7 or CRD) the odds have considerably lessened. In other words, it's not looking good.

Let me explain why I take that stance:

The new JK is a success for Jeep. It's selling even above Jeep's expectations and above current output ability. That success substantially decreases the odds Jeep will put in alternative engines. Think about it - why should they? If sales are good with a one-size fits all engine - why make costly mods to the production process? There's just no incentive there to change when you've already got a successful product.

Bill
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
ajmorell

I also read that Chrysler is cutting down Hemi production in general because of gas prices. According to the little excerpt from Peterson's 4wheel & Off-Road, Chrysler cut production by 25% between August and Sept. So as much as I would like to see a Wrangler with a bigger engine, I doubt it will happen.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I also read that Chrysler is cutting down Hemi production in general because of gas prices.
Good point.

Bill
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
spididle121
2006 LJ Wrangler 

But in several years, when demand for the new JK has lessoned, chrysler might be more inclined to add a bigger engine or even a diesel to the line-up to help promote sales again.

___oooo_
[l_, [____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)=0=)_)
spididle121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spididle121
But in several years, when demand for the new JK has lessoned, chrysler might be more inclined to add a bigger engine or even a diesel to the line-up to help promote sales again.
I totally agree with you, and I really hope this is the case, as I would love to own a JK with a hemi or CRD.
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
mackssrt

Thanks for the welcome and input guys. My wifes 5.7 with the cylinder deactivation gets 20mpg in the city. I think that is pretty impressive, but I certainly can understand the why incur cost if sales are good. Just seems with the larger wrangler a little more power would be nice.

So, if the six is it, I guess I will have to read up on exactly what can be done to get the hp/tq up. Thanks again.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2005 Ram srt10 regular cab
2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
mackssrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
So, if the six is it, I guess I will have to read up on exactly what can be done to get the hp/tq up. Thanks again.
The new V6 has the same torque and more horsepower than the old I6 albeit at higher rpm, the new wrangler is a few hundred pounds heavier but has a lower drive ratio, especially if you have the tow package.

Is there something I'm missing? Everyone seems to be complaining that the new one is somewhat anaemic?
Kyoseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
nierace
2003 WJ 

It's slower than a H3....
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:14 PM   #10
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
Are you in a hurry?
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #11
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki
The new V6 has the same torque and more horsepower than the old I6 albeit at higher rpm, the new wrangler is a few hundred pounds heavier but has a lower drive ratio, especially if you have the tow package.

Is there something I'm missing? Everyone seems to be complaining that the new one is somewhat anaemic?
I think the biggest thing that people are upset about is that DCX went and f***ed with a good thing by getting rid of the 4.0 I6. It has been around for so long and is known to be more than reliable so why get rid of it?
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #12
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome and input guys. My wifes 5.7 with the cylinder deactivation gets 20mpg in the city. I think that is pretty impressive, but I certainly can understand the why incur cost if sales are good. Just seems with the larger wrangler a little more power would be nice.
Buy the Unlimited, and the next time you two are going on vacation, you tell her you're not feeling well and to go ahead without you. Then, you swap the engines. BAM! Wrangler with a hemi.

Just kidding. Maybe it's unrealistic, but I'm optimistically hopeful that Jeep will offer a V8 in the Unlimited one of these years.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I think the biggest thing that people are upset about is that DCX went and f***ed with a good thing by getting rid of the 4.0 I6. It has been around for so long and is known to be more than reliable so why get rid of it?
A couple of reasons spring to mind, meeting new emissions targets would be the first one (you can thank them for the lack of a diesel option right now too), plus it's only used in a single vehicle, which makes it far more expensive to manufacture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
I ride a sportsbike, all cars are slow
Kyoseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #14
nierace
2003 WJ 

I'm not a speed demon...but its nice when you're on the on ramp and you barely have to touch the pedal to accelerate to speed, I almost never take my WJ passed 3k rpm.

The JK is like driving a pos 4cylinder jetta...I realize its a offroad vehicle, but if it wants to make it to that medium where it can be used for on and offroad use, for ME it needs more balls.

A 4.7 would be a perfect application for it, I think the hemi would be too much.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
BUBBABOW

engine

I have a 2 door jk . i have own hemis and a c5 with a v8. i have noticed that anyone owning the JK will say like me it has plenty of power and is suprisingly quick when needed. All articles written say the say. It seems only those with out a jk are complaining about the lack of power.
BUBBABOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.