5.13s - Were my expectaions too high? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 5.13s - Were my expectaions too high?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

5.13s - Were my expectaions too high?

Past the 500 mile break in and i'm not sure that I'm as happy as I should be after dishing out the $1100 for my 5.13 install. Im only running 33s on my 2010 JKU Auto and it Doesn't seem as "peppy" as I had anticipated. Yes, highway driving is slightly better with less downshifts and being able to maintain a solid 70mph. Also, I'm getting weird drone noise around 60. The kind of noise you get from a tire being out of balance if that makes sense, but it's definitely the gears...thoughts?

295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you reprogram for the correct tire size and gear set?
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
saddis
2003 WJ 

I think most of us who have regeared feel the same way as you do. I'm not pleased with my 5.38's either. 5.13's and 33's though you should be peppy at least for a jeep anyway? Have you reprogrammed for the larger tires and gears? I think with the 3.8L (no torque) you won't feel peppy no matter what you do. I'm overall happy with what I have so I seem to think your expecting to much for a heavy V6 suv. You got a good deal on the gear install BTW, I paid almost $2,000 for my install!
Unread 11-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
SlvrJK08
2008 JK Wrangler 

The 3.8 will allways be a turd no matter how much you polish it. And actually the bigger culprit is the 4 speed auto, the gear ratio's are pretty bad (especially the .69 to 1 OD, hit 4th and the jeep craps itself at anything under 50mph cause the rev's drop so much, and takes the motor our of the powerband) and the programming from chrysler is terrible. My 2 door was a riot with 5.13's and 33's...which I only experieced for 2 weeks while waiting for my 37's to arrive. Now it's tolerable to drive, motor still struggles in most situations. I second eevryone in asking if you have reprogrammed for the tires size and gear ratio with someting like a superships flashpaq, as that will definitely make a difference.
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Did you reprogram?

There was a drastic difference in both my power and my fuel mileage once I got everything set right.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would be concerned with the "drone" you are hearing. I would have the gear lash double checked to make sure that the gears are in fact meshing properly.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

- Drone Sound - You should take it back to the gear installer to check to make sure everything is still setup correctly.
- What everyone else said. Reprogram if you have not.
- 0-35 MPH with the hammer down should feel pretty nice. Beyond that, it should feel 'comfortable' 60-70MPH will keep it in it's powerband and it won't downshift all that often.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Add a supercharger.
I'm running 5.38's on 37's, w/the supercharger. It has the wanted get-up-and-go.
The gear change helps handle the 37's, but you're right. It does not make a huge difference like most people think it will. If you had a manual tranny, it might feel better. But it's really the auto tranny that is the culprit.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You pay for what you get !

Drone is either new muffler/pipes or lousy diff. gears/fluid--

I got everything I expected with my 5.38s--better mileage/better response/more torque and immediate throttle response--

Sorry, but I don't agree with quality and a 5.13 gear install. for $1100 bucks and they're probably not YUKON gears, but even then the installation and fluid and PROPER BREAKIN SEQUENCE are most important-

If they're good gears and installed correctly and you didn't break them in correctly--BINGO-FAILURE

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
Did you reprogram for the correct tire size and gear set?
yes, i have the AEV procal. Everything should be reprogrammed to my tire size and 5.13
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
You pay for what you get !

Drone is either new muffler/pipes or lousy diff. gears/fluid--

I got everything I expected with my 5.38s--better mileage/better response/more torque and immediate throttle response--

Sorry, but I don't agree with quality and a 5.13 gear install. for $1100 bucks and they're probably not YUKON gears, but even then the installation and fluid and PROPER BREAKIN SEQUENCE are most important-

If they're good gears and installed correctly and you didn't break them in correctly--BINGO-FAILURE

Good luck

JIMBO
the drone isn't coming from the exaust. it's coming from the dirvetrain. It's barely noticeable, but I notice it because it wasn't there before the gear install.

i had my gears installed by a reputable guy and reccomended through JeepForum Members. I've used him on various things in the past with quality results. he was the shop forman at a local 4 Wheel Parts and has been working for Chrysler as a mechanic for the past 10 years. His experience speaks for itself.

as far as the gears we used, no, they are not Yukons. They are Motive gears. As far as proper break in goes, i followed what everyone's advice has been on previous threads on this forum and at 500 miles changed the diff fluid with Mobil 1 synthetic.
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders82 View Post
the drone isn't coming from the exaust. it's coming from the dirvetrain. It's barely noticeable, but I notice it because it wasn't there before the gear install.

i had my gears installed by a reputable guy and reccomended through JeepForum Members. I've used him on various things in the past with quality results. he was the shop forman at a local 4 Wheel Parts and has been working for Chrysler as a mechanic for the past 10 years. His experience speaks for itself.

as far as the gears we used, no, they are not Yukons. They are Motive gears. As far as proper break in goes, i followed what everyone's advice has been on previous threads on this forum and at 500 miles changed the diff fluid with Mobil 1 synthetic.
Cool. I was told not to use Synthetic according to another gear guy...but that is probably another debate which I don't want to get into

I would still bring it back to him and tell him of the drone, and take him for a ride. No matter how good a mechanic is, there are a ton of other factors that can happen before the install in the gear factory, during the install, break in, etc. He will probably be able to pinpoint exactly what it is. Might not be anything but still worth checking on.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Kewl, thanx for the quick-honest response-

Quote:

I hope your friend can handle the problem"

New diff. gears, especially 5.13/5.38s take some KNOWLEDGE on install and the gear mesh-

Again, the fluid/breakin/abrasive add--is of primary importance especiall the first 20 miles-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Past the 500 mile break in and i'm not sure that I'm as happy as I should be after dishing out the $1100 for my 5.13 install. Im only running 33s on my 2010 JKU Auto and it Doesn't seem as "peppy" as I had anticipated. Yes, highway driving is slightly better with less downshifts and being able to maintain a solid 70mph. Also, I'm getting weird drone noise around 60. The kind of noise you get from a tire being out of balance if that makes sense, but it's definitely the gears...thoughts?
You need 37s and you'll be happy. I don't know who told you to go to 5:13 for 33s but that is too much. Get 37s and you'll love your Jeep again. ( I wasn't too happy with mine even on 35s, but 37s made all the difference )
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
You need 37s and you'll be happy. I don't know who told you to go to 5:13 for 33s but that is too much. Get 37s and you'll love your Jeep again. ( I wasn't too happy with mine even on 35s, but 37s made all the difference )
is your rig an auto or manual? I'm planning for 37s, hence the 5.13s. I don't see how the "responsiveness" of the 5.13s will be any better with a larger diameter tire?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.