4WD won't engage in 2008 6 speed manual trans. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 4WD won't engage in 2008 6 speed manual trans.

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
pastime
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4WD won't engage in 2008 6 speed manual trans.

Just happened today to daughter's jeep. Had it in 4WD earlier this summer, no problems. It's never been off road. She's had the jeep for 4 years. The shifter slips in like butter. No light either. Please tell me it's a linkage thing.

pastime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If the lever is floppy, one of the plastic bushings has broken, allowing the cable to disconnect from the lever in the console, or the lever on the t-case.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

agree with ronjenx.....probably one of the plastic bushings. $3.00 at dealership. by extras. check the one in linkage by transfer case first. if its not that one you will have to remove center console. If you need to do this, easiest way i found to remove shifter knobs is to put wrench at bottom and one good whack with hammer should remove
RIPP stage 2 SC, Teraflex 6" lift, 37x13.5x18 Toyo OC MT, American Racing artillary wheels, Teraflex monster control arm, Teraflex drag link flip kit, Currie control arms, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, Fox 2.0 shocks, Tom Woods drive shafts, Eaton E-lockers front and rear, G2 5:13 gears, Synergy suspension tie rod and ball joints, synergy suspension sway bar disconnects, RR XHD front bumper, RR muffler and evap cannister skid plate, Body armor rear bumper and tire carrier, Nemesis tub armor and billy rockers, Bushwacker flat fender flares, mastercraft baja seats with corbeau 3 point harness, Warn 8000 winch, rigid LED lights, sprint booster throttle response module, spec stage 2+ clutch
Lynhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
fxbrry
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yep sounds like a broke bushing. Mine broke in my 07 leaving me stuck in 4lo. Had to crawl underneath to shift it by hand. I bought an aftermarket linkage than replaces the factory plastic one with a metal one. Now I dont have to worry about it breaking again. Cant remember the name of the company. Precision Adapters or something like that.
fxbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastime View Post
Please tell me it's a linkage thing.
Get under it and put your eyes on the linkage......

You've got a better chance of figuring out the cause than we do.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

Or it could be the stupid little orange clip that holds the cable into the bracket under the jeep. That is the one that broke on my 08 not the ones that were previously mentioned. Easy fix and 2 bucks later. Here is a photo of it
image.jpg

Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

I carry 2 extras in the glove box now due to it braking when I needed it
Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
metaldemon7
2012 JK Wrangler 

That doesn't look like the plastic bushing on my 2012. I was going to post a picture of the brass one I made to replace it, but my IPhone picture are too big for this site.
metaldemon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
pastime
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for your replies. Good to hear it doesn't sound like a major expense, and glad she discovered it before the snow flies. I'll let her know your replies and set her mind at ease, and encourage her to join the Jeepforum. It's always been a big help to me with my old '97's problems.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

YUP, there are several points of linkage failure-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjason View Post
Or it could be the stupid little orange clip that holds the cable into the bracket under the jeep. That is the one that broke on my 08 not the ones that were previously mentioned. Easy fix and 2 bucks later. Here is a photo of it
This is one and a good picture so you should have a couple extras in the glovebox along with

The nylon bushing that holds the cable conn AT THE XFER CASE SHIFT LEVER-Pt#1-68064273AA, these are about $.60 cents ea !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Treelover1

Okay Pastime I joined....Thank you everyone for the info, very helpful and will save me some $$$
Treelover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treelover1 View Post
Okay Pastime I joined....Thank you everyone for the info, very helpful and will save me some $$$
Welcome to the forum.

Good to hear that your problem is a simple fix as far as costs goes. When you get a chance please fill out your profile, it does come in handy when others are trying to help you. Look forward to seeing you around.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
pastime
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.