4WD and Hubs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 4WD and Hubs

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 07-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

4WD and Hubs

Hey all,

I'm more than a little embarrassed I have to ask the forum this after having 2 JK's since 2007. But ask I will.

I am diagnosing what I *think* is a bad unit bearing on my 2012 with only about 20,000 miles on it. The symptom is a really bad squeal / squeak that changes speed as the wheel speed changes. It's either the bearing or the front brake dragging. But I am pretty sure it isn't the brake.

Anyhoo, today I jacked up the front so I could spin both front tires. The sound is definitely coming from the passenger front wheel. But I did find that both front wheels were pretty hard to spin. You can spin them, but they won't free-wheel at all. They stop as soon as you let go. Then I noticed that the front drive shaft was spinning when I turned either front wheel.

So my question is, do these not have a normal locking-style hub? Or do they disengage in the transfer case? I guess I'm use to Fords where the hub disengages when you put it in 2H. So I just want to ask you guys if it's normal for the driveshaft to spin with the vehicle in 2H when you spin the front tires.

Thanks in advance. Now I shall go listen to my dealer blame my JCR bumper for a bad unit bearing. haha.

Layth

Layth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

These are continuous - they are always connected to the DriveShaft.
Unread 07-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

when the tire was off the ground did you grab it at 6 and 12 or3 and 9 and see if it has movement? should be rather tight. if it has slop then the Unite is bad. You run big tires, lots of offset? That can wear on them bad. Though most people kill the ball joints first. Them unit bearings are rather expensive on a JK. I can see them calling out the tires though as it is directly related to that bearing or ball joints tie rods ect. you never know though. depends on the dealer.
Unread 07-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys.

Doc, I run AEV's. They're at about 4.7" of offset. Been on for about 2000 miles is all. But I will get it back off the ground and look at it some more.

Thanks again for the feedback on the 4Wd drive and the bearings.

Layth
Layth is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.