4wd.com and Bestop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 4wd.com and Bestop

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 09-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

4wd.com and Bestop

So as many of you may know my JK was vandalized recently. My soft top completely destroyed and paint scratched up. Paint was repaired and I was compensated for the soft top. Being as I was pretty low on cash due to buying a house I decided to try something different. I ordered the Bestop Bikini top, Wraparound Windjammer and Duster from 4WD.com. They were good about it and even pricematched Quadratec and gave me a good deal. Just under $400 after shipping for all parts.

Today I recieved the parts. Got it all unpacked and it took me but a moment to realize...no header bar. Ok...not good but ok...called the local 4WD store. They have one in stock for $50. Awesome...quick ride down and I got it. They even sold it to me for $5 to stay under Quadratec's price on the price match deal.

Thank you 4WD. Great company...great customer service. Mistakes happen.

Now...the product. After installing this thing...I gotta say.

BIGGEST PILE OF **** I HAVE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO PURCHASE AND INSTALL.

Frankly the way this thing is made makes me never want to buy another Bestop product again. I call this thing my "failtop". Now...90 degree weather all day long and im in it installing this thing.

It comes with plastic tabs sewn into the fabric to go under the stock door surrounds. Why on gods green earth they can't do this with the Trek top is beyond me. But in the process of getting the tabs in place it broke the hinge on the passenger side surround.

On both sides you see a large gap between the surround and the body. Fail.

The header does not rest properly where it should. In fact I had to jury rig the thing to make it that far. I had to also bend the loops upward that the header screws onto for it to even fit at all.

So after getting that miserable piece of crap installed I moved onto the Windjammer. Not too complicated and pretty straightforward. Fit the way it was supposed to but not the way I would like it to. Can't move the seats all the way back anymore...a bit of a bummer since I am pretty tall but it is doable. Would I run this all the time? Hell no...but it will get me through the winter...I think.

My biggest complaint about the Windjammer is partially my fault. I didn't buy the Pod covers that the Windjammer links to to make a good seal. But for gods sake you would think they would at least put a couple of straps in at the top just in case you don't buy that part to stiffen it up and keep it holding up. No...just a big gap.

Finally I put on the Duster. Little did I know I did NOT have to remove the back seat to install this. I was worried about the seat flopping around and possibly breaking the Duster but they provide a strap to hold the seat down in its folded position. Oh well...frankly...the duster went on quite nicely. Links up with the Windjammer well and functions and does what it is supposed to. It is probably the only part of the whole setup that I would recommend to anybody...but why anybody would want JUST the Duster...I dunno.

I am going to buy the Pod Covers soon and install them and then decide if I like the Windjammer or not. As it stands right now I would not recommend the Bikini top to anybody. That header could have used a hell of a lot more thought behind it but it's like they didn't even care. The fact that it quite litterally broke more parts on my vehicle does not help either.

Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

This thing seems to create some big blindspots too.
Unread 09-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to hear all the trouble man !
Unread 09-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

from what I've seen the Mopar one is much better and comes with the header.

that really sucks it broke your surround. I broke mine on a tree cpl weeks ago. ordered new one from moparpartsamerica.com, they wound up charging me $30 less then what the part said online Well I got it put it on my back seat with doors off, i had to drive over to the laundry room here, it slides off the seat and I ran it over busted the new one

Good luck with yours
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

hey i did what you did at first to get the header bar on. then i realized they gave me two kind of clips and the one that i installed was not the one i should have used. so see if you have another piece to bolt onto your clamp and try to use that. as far as the bikini top itself the 4 door one has more issues than that so be thankful

good luck dude
Unread 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

What piece would that be? I have checked everything and followed the instructions to the letter. You just have a cheap *** header bar that doesn't sit properly then you bolt to that 2 parts that extend forward just a bit and those are what the knobs screw into but they give you a little bent plate that goes between the knob and the hook on the windshield. So am I missing something here?
Unread 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

do not use the "padded" knobs as the pieces to pull the bar to windshield instead use the plate as the connector and it should work. i used the knob and that was a POS. the plate worked just fine infact it works better than the stock header that i had on the soft top.
Unread 09-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am confused as to what you refer to. Any chance of a picture of this? Is it possible I am missing some parts?
Unread 09-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

i will get a pic up prbly tomorrow for ya
but first i have to find the other part to compare for you
Unread 09-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok...ill patiently wait. Thanks...I am thinking im missing something.
Unread 09-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

I like this setup you have and wonder it that wrap around windjammer will fit the 4dr, I heard it does but not too sure
Unread 09-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

this is the tab that i use sorry i couldnt find a pic of the other one but the other one doesnt work anyway
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah...I feel like I got ripped off now. Mine did not come with that clamp style latch...I wonder if I can just buy them seperately.
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvRSpeedX3 View Post
I like this setup you have and wonder it that wrap around windjammer will fit the 4dr, I heard it does but not too sure
It does but they are coming out with a better one for the 4 door that allows you to keep the back seat up and in place.
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

sorry if you got ripped off, but that is what will work

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.