4BT conversion. PLEASE REPLY!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 4BT conversion. PLEASE REPLY!!!

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
07jkman
2012 JK Wrangler 

4BT conversion. PLEASE REPLY!!!

Hey jeep brotheren I would like to gets yall opinion on a potential idea that I have. I did some homework on turn key diesel conversion for jeep jk's. The company is call brusier conversions (http://www.bruiserconversions.com.) and they use a reman or new 4BT cummins diesels engine with either a NV4500 manual or 4L60E auto trans. Well it just so happens that my fiance's father has a wood chipper with a 4BT cummins and a 6.5L diesel GMC yukon with a 4L60E trans. Brusier is asking $18,500 for a reman 4BT with NV4500 or 4L60E. So my question after that long explantion is this, first off, would it be even worth converting the jeep to a diesel and second should I use the chipper 4BT and the Yukon 4L60E....or should I buy the reman 4BT and NV4500 from brusier?

07jkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Your first step should be to determine exactly what just the swap kit from Bruiser would consist of and what it would cost you without the motor and transmission. With a donor motor and transmission you're off to a good start, but the reason these swap kits are so expensive is they have a ton of R&D adapting a different drivetrain to the JK platform and keeping the CANBUS system happy. Lots and lots of one off parts in the way of brackets to adapt your accessories, motor mounts, transmission mounts, adapter plates, the list goes on. I'd try and figure out what condition the 4BT you have available is in, as well as the transmission. If either need a rebuild, that's going to take a big chunk of change from your budget.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would ask yourself first why you want to do the swap. Its not a quiet engine, if its registered anywhere with inspections it will fail and could be impounded. Its a nice motor but there's better out there for alot less than a 4BT.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

The 4BT is a great engine, but it's not quiet. It is efficient and durable. The inspections thing is a real concern, too. You can't meet federal guidelines with a 4BT in a JK.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
07jkman
2012 JK Wrangler 

i agree but inspection is not a concern in GA. thank you for the opinion though
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
07jkman
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcatracing View Post
I would ask yourself first why you want to do the swap. Its not a quiet engine, if its registered anywhere with inspections it will fail and could be impounded. Its a nice motor but there's better out there for alot less than a 4BT.
well its truly a dream of mine to do this and i just figured since i didnt HAVE to buy engine and tranny it might actually be worth it. I live in GA and we dont required inspections here.
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
07jkman
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Your first step should be to determine exactly what just the swap kit from Bruiser would consist of and what it would cost you without the motor and transmission. With a donor motor and transmission you're off to a good start, but the reason these swap kits are so expensive is they have a ton of R&D adapting a different drivetrain to the JK platform and keeping the CANBUS system happy. Lots and lots of one off parts in the way of brackets to adapt your accessories, motor mounts, transmission mounts, adapter plates, the list goes on. I'd try and figure out what condition the 4BT you have available is in, as well as the transmission. If either need a rebuild, that's going to take a big chunk of change from your budget.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
thats true about the adaption being the more expensive part of the whole part but since i could potentially save alot via having the tranny and engine it might actually be worth it. anyway i appreciate the opinion and p.s. i really like your jeep, she is a beauty
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

The do offer kits you can install yourself so that may be an option as well. Its amazing the motor swaps you will plan when you get a cheap motor/trans.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

ive always wanted t do this, jeff daniels also offers a conversion kit and all the parts. if i did it i would be the one turning the wrenches so to speak. but thats just me. plus it would save alot. who cares about noise, i didn't buy my jeep because the new soft top was quiet unlike my tj, and the noise of a diesel and turbo is music to my ears anyways. i would look into will it pay itself off, which alot of people say it does not only in fuel, but in fun. i say go for it! btw if the motor is "new" theres no reason it shouldn't pass inspection, atleast pa is the motor has to be same year or newer than the car, a few people have gotten away with it around me by refurbishing them and saying they are new, my friend has a 90s 4bt in his tj. just my two cents.
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

Since the 4BT stopped being produced before the JK even started its an illegal swap in any of them. Only metro Atlanta has emission testing so the OP is safe where he's at but for many its a no go. Out here it would be fine but finding a decent 4BT without shipping it from the mainland is nearly impossible.
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
ive always wanted t do this, jeff daniels also offers a conversion kit and all the parts. if i did it i would be the one turning the wrenches so to speak. but thats just me. plus it would save alot. who cares about noise, i didn't buy my jeep because the new soft top was quiet unlike my tj, and the noise of a diesel and turbo is music to my ears anyways. i would look into will it pay itself off, which alot of people say it does not only in fuel, but in fun. i say go for it! btw if the motor is "new" theres no reason it shouldn't pass inspection, atleast pa is the motor has to be same year or newer than the car, a few people have gotten away with it around me by refurbishing them and saying they are new, my friend has a 90s 4bt in his tj. just my two cents.
Problem is you must meet the emissions for the year of the vehicle or engine,which ever is newer.The 4bt will never get close,let alone pass, to '07 diesel emissions.It will fail badly for '12+ diesel emissions plus that swap is illegal no matter what in most states.

Refurbished is not "new" and they totally stopped production on the 4bt in '05.
Unread 12-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Here you go:

http://www.riverraider.com/store/JK-...sel-Conversion

This is the river raider 4BT kit.
Unread 12-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #13
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

idk about your state but pa has no diesel emissions so good there, but what im trying to say is some will consider a refurbished engine to be new, of course you have to pull some strings be a little vague but ive seen it done, i don't know particularly how it was bypassed but ive seen it and thats good enough for me to know its possible
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

A diesel would be great in a jk! Not only for MPG but wheeling as well. It could be fully submerged in water. Has high torque.

You'll get an engine that won't die and basically a half new vehicle. The only weak point will be the body and frame will prob die long before the drivetrain
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.