4 wheel drive lever wont engage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 wheel drive lever wont engage

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Thx1158
2010 JK Wrangler 

4 wheel drive lever wont engage

Well after having my 2010 Rubicon for a week, I pulled it in the yard and wanted to see how the sway bar disconnect, 4L and lockers worked. I put it in N, pulled my 4WD selector from 2 to 4HI and it moved back slightly then just went all floppy in the gate....nada....nothing....just 2WD. Called the dealer and waiting for them to get back to me to bring it back in. I hope this isnt an indicator of Quality.....overall I love the thing!

Thx1158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's an easy fix..slide up under it and have someone move the lever..you'll see where the cable has popped off..just clip it back on
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Thx1158
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thank you! I figured it was something simple like that. I never had that happen on my other Jeeps and wasn't sure if I should mess with it or not since I only have a couple hundred miles on it.
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedboxer View Post
That's an easy fix..slide up under it and have someone move the lever..you'll see where the cable has popped off..just clip it back on
yup same thing happened to me. I bought an extra one of those clips (83 cents or something like that) incase it ever happens again.

Edit: found my old thread, complete with pictures - check it out

Last edited by dirtyjpwrangler; 07-06-2010 at 12:38 PM..
dirtyjpwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Common issue. Let the dealer fix it. When mine happened they replaced the whole cable.

I have only had this happen once and have been in and out of 4WD several times since, so I wouldn't expect it to be a routine thing.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

First do not go directly from 4 hi to 4 lo. Second, read your owner's manual so that you know the proper procedure for engaging 4 lo. You can't just throw the lever back. The purpose of the plastic bushing is to prevent damage from people doing just that.

You need to have the transmission in neutral and the vehicle rolling slightly, no more than 2-3 mph. The lever will easily slide into 4 lo.
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Thx1158
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
First do not go directly from 4 hi to 4 lo. Second, read your owner's manual so that you know the proper procedure for engaging 4 lo. You can't just throw the lever back. The purpose of the plastic bushing is to prevent damage from people doing just that.

You need to have the transmission in neutral and the vehicle rolling slightly, no more than 2-3 mph. The lever will easily slide into 4 lo.

It wasn't a case of "throwing the lever back". I did read the owners manual and I was in my yard, at a full stop in neutral going from 2wd to 4WD hi. I do understand that there are no syncros and you should be rolling slow going to LO....never made it that far...LOL
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
xj37
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is good to know that thr cable can pop off. Sort of wished they did not change it from how it was on the YJs and TJs.
xj37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Thomas95

Heey i got a 1998 jeep grand charoke an the lever wont move in to 4 well drive its like its stuck in 2 idk what to do
Thomas95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas95 View Post
Heey i got a 1998 jeep grand charoke an the lever wont move in to 4 well drive its like its stuck in 2 idk what to do
This is the JK sub section.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post

You do not have to be moving. I typically am stopped when I go into 4lo. If the gears are not quite lined up I move forward or back a little bit and try again. And you cant just throw the lever back from 4hi anyway. There is a stop that prevents this.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ

You do not have to be moving. I typically am stopped when I go into 4lo. If the gears are not quite lined up I move forward or back a little bit and try again. And you cant just throw the lever back from 4hi anyway. There is a stop that prevents this.
The manual does recommend that you be rolling slightly to shift into 4 low. You can often shift it when stopped but its a pain l rock it around when it needs it.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The plastic bushing isn't designed to prevent damage, as suggested above.
It's no more than a poorly designed bushing/retainer.

It's possible to do lots of damage before the bushing fails.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
The manual does recommend that you be rolling slightly to shift into 4 low. You can often shift it when stopped but its a pain l rock it around when it needs it.
Iím always stopped when I shift into 4low and have for the most part never had a problem. I can count on one hand when I ever had to move the Jeep slightly to aid in engaging low and still have a couple of fingers left. That includes my dearly departed í08 JK too.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222

I’m always stopped when I shift into 4low and have for the most part never had a problem. I can count on one hand when I ever had to move the Jeep slightly to aid in engaging low and still have a couple of fingers left. That includes my dearly departed ’08 JK too.
Mine doesn't shift that well when I'm completely stopped. I'd say more often then not I have to move it slightly to shift into 4 low. Weird.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4x4 , 4 wheel drive , lever , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.