4.56 vs 4.88 in 2dr 6 speed JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.56 vs 4.88 in 2dr 6 speed JK

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 05-15-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
burr_83
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chinle, AZ
Posts: 49
4.56 vs 4.88 in 2dr 6 speed JK

Does anyone have any opinions about these two gears? I will be driving the highway a lot and it's a manual. I'm leaning towards the 4.56 because I won't be doing extensive rock crawling, what say ye?

edit: Oops I keep omitting very important information. This is a 2010 2 dr jk SPORT, 6 speed manual tranny, I'm going to put a 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires on it. Stock gearing 3.21 i believe. This is why I am debating the two gears 4.56 vs 4.88

Thanks


Last edited by burr_83; 05-15-2011 at 10:23 AM..
burr_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler
 
RockyClymer's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,395
No profile listed - stock tires and rims? Rubi or Sport? What is current gearing? A little more info would help. Also the FAQ section on gearing and tire selections.
__________________
08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Browns Mills, New Jersey
Posts: 1,494
Yeah, and an honest gut check answer on the biggest tires you will be running in the foreseeable future.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
burr_83
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chinle, AZ
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
No profile listed - stock tires and rims? Rubi or Sport? What is current gearing? A little more info would help. Also the FAQ section on gearing and tire selections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
Yeah, and an honest gut check answer on the biggest tires you will be running in the foreseeable future.
Sorry guys, yes it is stock 2010 jeep jk sport, 3.21 gears then i believe.

I want to go with a 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires. I want to do it all up and do it all up the right way the first time and spend what ever money to make sure i'm not cutting corners or undermining any physics of components on the jeep (e.g. ds, yoke, etc)
burr_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Browns Mills, New Jersey
Posts: 1,494
With 35's, go to at LEAST 4.88's. If you think you might go beyond 35's in the near future (your definition of near will depend on how soon you can stomach the cost of another regear), then go ahead and go for the 5.13's.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
burr_83
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chinle, AZ
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
With 35's, go to at LEAST 4.88's. If you think you might go beyond 35's in the near future (your definition of near will depend on how soon you can stomach the cost of another regear), then go ahead and go for the 5.13's.
Wait did you see the sizing ratio chart for JK above in this thread?? It shows that FOR A MANUAL 4.88 is optimal for rock crawling but not so good for daily drives. I am driving this thing long distances that is why I am thinking 4.56 which shows to be good on trails and good on highway. Look at that chart again and then tell me if u still think that based on highway driving...

Don't get me wrong I do plan on taking this thing hard through the trails too.
burr_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,217
The whole point of gearing properly is to keep the engine in its powerband. With the NSG370 and 35" tires, 4.88 will do that. Yes, you'll be running slightly higher RPM's at any given speed but those tires are tall/heavy and your motor isn't powerful....the lower gears are giving your motor the required leverage it needs to turn those tires without issue. The 3.8 needs to be in the 2.5-3k range to run efficiently, given the extra rotational mass and non-aerodynamic nature of the jeep. Go 4.88. The nice byproducts will be a slower crawl speed, better engine braking when going downhill, and optimized fuel mileage.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
burr_83
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chinle, AZ
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The whole point of gearing properly is to keep the engine in its powerband. With the NSG370 and 35" tires, 4.88 will do that. Yes, you'll be running slightly higher RPM's at any given speed but those tires are tall/heavy and your motor isn't powerful....the lower gears are giving your motor the required leverage it needs to turn those tires without issue. The 3.8 needs to be in the 2.5-3k range to run efficiently, given the extra rotational mass and non-aerodynamic nature of the jeep. Go 4.88. The nice byproducts will be a slower crawl speed, better engine braking when going downhill, and optimized fuel mileage.
Excellent I keep going back to 4.56 and then someone will post something like you did and then persuade me back to the 4.88. Don't forget I'm in a manual 6 speed AND sometimes I drive this thing 840 miles almost all in one sitting. Do you still think that 4.88 will be not annoy me when driving this far?? It's my DD. Thanks
burr_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Browns Mills, New Jersey
Posts: 1,494
You'll be fine. I'm' on 35's and 5.13's and I spin about 3k rpms at 71mph. I just turn up the radio if it's too loud.

If you're that worried about the DD factor, just do 33's on 4.56's.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
burr_83
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chinle, AZ
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
You'll be fine. I'm' on 35's and 5.13's and I spin about 3k rpms at 71mph. I just turn up the radio if it's too loud.

If you're that worried about the DD factor, just do 33's on 4.56's.
NO WAY MAN!

35's and 4.88 sounds like a plan!

Edit: hey should I get a high angle DS for this lift?
burr_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Browns Mills, New Jersey
Posts: 1,494
Just do it then!



You'll need/want beadlocks , bumpers, a winch, rock rails, a Flashpaq, skid plates...

Oh, sorry, I got carried away again.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Will16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: , Nj
Posts: 20
I have a 6 speed, 35's and 4.88's. Love it! My buddy had the same thing except with 4.10's... Took about a week before he gave in and did 4.88's as well.
Will16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
burr_83
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chinle, AZ
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
Just do it then!



You'll need/want beadlocks , bumpers, a winch, rock rails, a Flashpaq, skid plates...

Oh, sorry, I got carried away again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will16 View Post
I have a 6 speed, 35's and 4.88's. Love it! My buddy had the same thing except with 4.10's... Took about a week before he gave in and did 4.88's as well.
YES YES YES YES AND MORE YES!!!! Wait what are beadlocks again lol? Which flashpaq? or is there only one?
burr_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
PanthersFan
Not old, just older
 
PanthersFan's Avatar
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr_83

Excellent I keep going back to 4.56 and then someone will post something like you did and then persuade me back to the 4.88. Don't forget I'm in a manual 6 speed AND sometimes I drive this thing 840 miles almost all in one sitting. Do you still think that 4.88 will be not annoy me when driving this far?? It's my DD. Thanks
You have a manual transmission, so you can test that. Just stay in 5th gear for a while on the interstate and see if the higher RPMs bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
Quote:
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
river2c
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 142
Definitely go with the 4.88s. I have a 6 speed manual and it's the perfect ratio for 35s. For highway driving, you are in overdrive so the RPMs are fine. An AEV Procal will adjust your speedometer.
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon 2dr 6sp Black Forest Green
river2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.