4:10 or 4:56 '13 sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 4:10 or 4:56 '13 sport

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm stuck. I've read a ton of threads and can't make up my mind. I have the 6 speed manual and the dreaded 3:21s, I've looked at the charts. I'm running 33s and probably will for some time, eventually 35s maybe?

4:56 is much easier to come by and the thought of the power sounds nice. But I just don't know is that gonna be too much on the interstate?

Help me with my decision...... thanx

Update: I put this in the thread but thought I would update the op as well for anyone searching so you don't have to read through a bunch of posts.

So finally got my gears installed. Decided to go 4.56. Ill try and make a YouTube video of the results soon and post it here. So far I'm happy I can pull out without throttle in first. I'm turning a little higher rpm than the charts specified but that's ok. I'm running 2700rpm at 70mph. Haven't driven enough to comment on milage yet ill try and post back in a few weeks with that info as well. In hindsight anyone staying with 33s go with 4.10s they will be perfect. With that said, I don't regret my choice as of yet.

As I said here is a youtube vid of my regear on the interstate at 70...

Unread 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
wranglerboy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin321 View Post
I'm stuck. I've read a ton of threads and can't make up my mind. I have the 6 speed manual and the dreaded 3:21s, I've looked at the charts. I'm running 33s and probably will for some time, eventually 35s maybe?

4:56 is much easier to come by and the thought of the power sounds nice. But I just don't know is that gonna be too much on the interstate?

I am in the same boat. looking at the charts 4.10 is plenty gear for the 3.6 and 35's. The problem is you cannot find that ratio anywhere. Its a total drag. Regear for me in my area is $4000 so I will just be trading in the current sahara for a rubicon with factory 4.10's ! Good luck but I bet you will need to end up going 4.56. For both cost and convenience reasons.
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

You'll be better off with 4.10's that will get you from stock sized tires up to 35's. You will need a new carrier up front since you have 3.21's now. If you were thinking about lockers doing so at the time you re-gear would be wise since it will be torn down anyway.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerboy13 View Post
I am in the same boat. looking at the charts 4.10 is plenty gear for the 3.6 and 35's. The problem is you cannot find that ratio anywhere. Its a total drag. Regear for me in my area is $4000 so I will just be trading in the current sahara for a rubicon with factory 4.10's ! Good luck but I bet you will need to end up going 4.56. For both cost and convenience reasons.
4.10's are available ,you just have to search.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Alloy USA sells 4.10's for the D30 and D44 that will fit the JK.

Here are the rear ones
Here are the fronts

Don't forget that Extreme Terrain offers a discount for active Jeepforum members as well as free shipping on order of $75 or more. So, shoot me a PM and I can get you the code and answer any questions!

-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

So 4:56 is gonna be overkill is what your saying? I'm assuming I will be much happier coming from these dog 3:21's? Has anyone made this switch?
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok, so my situation may not be of much help so take it for what its worth.

I run 33s on an 08 unl. I had 3.73s automatic and I was advised to not go higher than 4.56 as that would get me right where I "wanted to be." However knowing that someday I may want 35s I said screw it and got 5.13s even after being advised it may or may not be a good jump for me. In the end I am very very pleased with my decision to go higher as the charts posted in here put me at borderline performance range. Even interstate driving is good for me. I can cruise WITH CRUISE CONTROL no problems

Therefore going a little high may be the way to go is all im saying.
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Big difference between the 2007-2011 and the 2012-2013 as far as gearing demands.
jk_ratio-chart.jpg
6369520629_ff50dd30d1_b.jpg

Unread 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Big difference between the 2007-2011 and the 2012-2013 as far as gearing demands.
So my model is higher geared than the older models so I should go with the lower 4:56? Is that what your saying here?
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So my model is higher geared than the older models so I should go with the lower 4:56? Is that what your saying here?
No, you have more horsepower than the previous engine, so you don't need to go as low to make up for the power loss.

4.56 will be overkill for 33's, but not for 35's. 4.10 is fine for 33's and even 35's, but might be a little too high if you want to go with 37's, which will be fine if you go with 4.56.

Ultimately, you need to decide on your tire size first.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
4.56 will be overkill for 33's, but not for 35's. 4.10 is fine for 33's and even 35's, but might be a little too high if you want to go with 37's, which will be fine if you go with 4.56.

Ultimately, you need to decide on your tire size first.
Essentially it will be 33s for some time. 35s in the distant future.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Essentially it will be 33s for some time. 35s in the distant future.
4.10 is going to be your best bet then.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

You say you will be considering 35's in the future so 4.10 's would be the ideal gear for 80/20 in/off road driving for you. If were going up to a 37 or rock crawling every weekend then yoy may consider 4.57 -and up.Most 35's you would be running on the street will not measure a true 35" . They run a bit smaller 34.2-34.8 besides this is probably your DD and spinning 2400+ rpms isn't going to be a treat.

Unread 03-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
You say you will be considering 35's in the future so 4.10 's would be the ideal gear for 80/20 in/off road driving for you. If were going up to a 37 or rock crawling every weekend then yoy may consider 4.57 -and up.Most 35's you would be running on the street will not measure a true 35" . They run a bit smaller 34.2-34.8 besides this is probably your DD and spinning 2400+ rpms isn't going to be a treat.
I can see that. In the end my hope is to be able to stay in 6th on the interstate. Now I'm hitting 5th, 4th, and sometimes 3rd to pass.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 on 35s with stock 4.10s. It really isn't bad but I wouldn't intentionally gear it this way personally, at least for my use. What I mean is, i would want to spend $1500 to re-gear and end up with what I have currently. 4.10s and 33s would be great. But 4.56 gears with 33s would probably be over kill for this engine. So you're going to find yourself in the middle somewhere if you want to gear now and change tires way down the road. Hope I succeeded in making your decision more difficult. Lol
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.