35s on stock wrangler x - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 35s on stock wrangler x

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
DetonatorBlake
2007 JK Wrangler 

35s on stock wrangler x

Hey guys I'm pretty new to the forum I've been reading a lot of threads and what not but this is my first post. I have a 2007 wrangler x 2dr. My question is if I run 35s will I need to regear? I'm just a college student and I'm trying to figure out what to save up for first in order to run the 35s without hurting my drive train. (I already have a 2.5" lift installed). Any help would be helpful!

Thanks, Blake

Unread 08-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
saddis
2003 WJ 

With your 6 speed manual you'll be ok with 35's. Now having said that you'll want to regear as soon as money permits. Gearing axles after larger tires are introduced on a jeep is just about the best thing you can do for your jeep. When it does come time to regear the jeep I'd suggest going at least one size higher than most charts list. I'd rather over gear a little than to pay that much money and not gear enough. I've ran 35 with 3.73's and 37's with 3.73's for short periods of time on two different jeeps and it's not all that bad. I will say my JK pulled 37's on stock gears better than my old TJ did with 35's ungeared. Hope that helps a little.
Unread 08-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
DetonatorBlake
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank you very much. That does help. My next question is when I do regear what size gear do I need to go with? (I do not know much about what the number in the gearing mean I do know that I will have to go to a higher number but I do not know if that means it will be geared higher or lower.) again thanks for any help provided.
DetonatorBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

There's a great chart in the FAQ up top with the information you are looking for. Basically, you're going to want to go 4.88s with a manual transmission.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
DetonatorBlake
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok my next question is what would it do if I reheated before I got the tires? We my engine be working to hard? Is this a wise move or not? Also at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot I will ask another question. What are lockers? Will I need them and can you still drive on the road with them? Please remember that I am only nineteen, in college, love jeeps ��, and still trying to figure all this out as best I can. I know that might have sounded stupid but I rather get educated on it now than cause a major screw up later and be able to talk about this stuff and no what I'm talking about.
DetonatorBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
DetonatorBlake
2007 JK Wrangler 

Come on guys help me out.
Unread 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

2007-2011, 3.8L, standard transmission, 35" tires: 4.88's, 5.13's if you are going to 37's down the road or playing in the rocks.

Your front D30 is pretty-much limited to 5.13's, with each lower gear ratio (numerically higher), the pinion gets smaller and smaller. Also, 35's will stress your front axle assembly if you use it offroad, you can sleeve and gusset the front axle assembly to correct for that. There is a lot to read about this topic alone!

To attempt to answer your question, typically people add differential lockers at the same time when they regear a sport/x/sahara because it saves on labor cost. If your intent is to go offroading, then a locking differential is a must, they allow the torque to be applied to both wheels (ie. front or rear axle, depending on which are locked), thus both wheels move and will not slip. Videos of 4x4 vehicles climbing impossible obstacles are using differential lockers. A stock sport/x/sahara put in a similar situation would just stay in place, with one tire not rotating (stuck) and the other spinning with no grip (differential applying all of the torque to the tire with no grip). So, basically, you can get automatic lockers that work when they are needed with no driver input (mechanically); selectable lockers that turn on-and-off with driver input (electric, air or cable actuated); and limited slip differentials. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. There is a ton to write and read about lockers, I'd advise doing research on this topic on the web. Read, read read!!!

IMHO, on a college budget you have two options: first buy the tires - you can drive around in the meantime. You'll be able to get around, but it will take the "good" out of your stock gearing (no more racing on the highway or smoking tires at red lights if you are so inclined) - so regear when you have the first chance! While regearing, if you have the $$$, throw a rear locking differential in. As a college student, you have a lot of $$$ to spend.

Second option: get out while you still can! Jeep mods are a sickness! Lol! Drive your Jeep around stock, invest in your education, get a great job and then blow your wad on your Jeep! IMHO, make sure you're studying to get a good job - with a Jeep you'll need it! lol

Either way, you have a lot of reading to do!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
DetonatorBlake
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks man I am in my second year towards becoming a large animal veterinarian. To fuel this addiction. Also I don't have a lot of cash but I am saving up and using it where I can. I do intend to take it offroad basically just to have fun and what not. It is mostly just trail riding but I do like to get it muddy. Thanks for the input and I will most certainly do some reading. :high five:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.