35" Tires won't work even with a 2.5" lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 35" Tires won't work even with a 2.5" lift?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
joecatch
2012 JK Wrangler 

35" Tires won't work even with a 2.5" lift?

Thinking about what I want to do with my new 2012 2 door JK in the next year or two. Someday I would like 35" tires, a 2.5" lift and 4.88 gears. I want to do in stages so I can afford it!

I don't have alot of plans to go crazy off roading, just would like to increase the height 2.5". But my dealer is telling me that with a Teleraflex 2.5" lift that 35" tires will rub, even with after market wheels with a smaller offset. Is it true that with 2.5" lift and different wheels, I will still get rubbing?

If so then I assume the biggest tires that would fit a 2.5" lift are 33'? And if I go with 33" tires I assume I can use the stock 17" wheels. I believe the stock tires are 32", so I don't know what one inch would buy me. Thanks for your input.

JC

P.S. If I go with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires, will it look funny? I mean, will there be too much space around the tires to make it look strange?

joecatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Your dealer must only sell Jeeps, not drive them.

You can fit 35's on a JK w/o any lift.
Most people run 2.5" of lift with 35's. (I run 37's w/flat fenders on 2.5" of lift.)
If your wheels are at 4.5" of offset (stock wheels are ~6.75" of offset), you should have no problem with rubbing.
You will be fine with the Teraflex 2.5" lift and 35's. Don't listen to the dealer.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
MrSmiley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can do 35s and 2.5in of lift. You might just have to run extended bumpstops as to not rub the fenders while completly flexed out. Also, you would need tires that have at least 4.5in of backspacing as to not rub the sway bar while turning. But if you want 35s go for it hopefully someone else will post up pictures of that set up in here considering how common of a setup it is.

Edit: Happy beat me too it, guess i dont type fast enough.
MrSmiley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like your salesman doesn't quite know what he's talking about.. He's not completely wrong, but he's not right either.

The biggest issue is that 35's will most likely not work on stock wheels depending on the tire.

35's will fit on STOCK suspension, though they will rub and I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent setup. I know because I ran them for a month or so before installing my lift on my 2012 JKU. But I had also replaced my wheels with some that have 4.5" of backspace.

Your stock wheel is going to be the immediate issue. Even with 33's...they might contact the control arm a bit.

Even just a Budget Boost and cut the pinch seams and you'll be in good shape on 35's.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You need 2" - 2.5" extended bump stops to clear 35's with stock flares and no body lift.

You only need enough suspension lift to cover the needed bump stop.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

33's but as you can see I have loads of room. I do have the teraflex 2.5

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with all these guys. I typically don't believe anything a car salesman says. There is high turn over in car sales, they move on to different dealerships and really don't know about what they are selling because they aren't anywhere long enough.

I had the same 2.5" TF lift and 35's. No problem.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

A lot of this depends on the circumstances.

Lift height really has less to do with fitting and not rubbing than other things.

I have 35's and when fully flexed I just kiss the stock fenders, not bad enough to worry about it. However, I rub the front bumper hard. In fact there is a little lip of metal on the inside of the bumper that took some chunks out of my tire. I need to grind that edge off. The back also kisses the fenders but not enough to cause damage. I also have teraflex sway bar disconnects and when stuffed and turned I rub those really hard. It looks like synergy's bracket will solve some of the issues with the terflex part.

I think if you are going to run 35's with a 2.5" lift you probably should be running 3" bump stops and that would probably alleviate most of the rubbing issues. I have 2.5" bumps and I am planning to try some 3" bumps in the front to see what a difference it makes. However, if you don't plan on disconnecting and you are just doing easy dirt roads and easy trails then 35's and a 2.5" lift won't be a problem. I only notice issues when I am disconnected and flexed.

I have noticed some of the higher end lift companies generally recommend 3" bump stops with 35" tires, regardless of the lift height. Some even sell adjustable bump stops to dial in exactly the amount of bump stop that you need.

Even with 35's and fully stuffed I do not contact the pinch weld or the rubicon sliders.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
joecatch
2012 JK Wrangler 

It is not the jeep dealer salesman talking to me but the service guy who supposedly does these alot. But anyway I don't know of anyone in the Hudson Valley here besides the Jeep dealer who does this kind of work.

I decided to go with the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost (with new shocks) for $510 from Quadratec. Tires and wheels will come next year. I figure by then the stock tires which have 24,000 miles on them will be ready to be replaced anyway.

But if anyone can give me some advice on finding a local 4x4 guy, that would be nice. I Googled that and found nothing where I live!

JC
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
joecatch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Found a local Jeep guy who installs mods and repairs, JVS, in New Windsor, NY. So when I order my kit I can bring it to him if I can't do it.

JC
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Too bad you can't find someone to help you, it really is a pretty easy install. I did my first one (same lift) with just the occasional help of my wife. Lots of good writeups of that particular lift. If you were closer I would lend a hand. These JK's are one of the easier things I have worked on.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

geez - my brother bought an 11 sport, used certified - from a dealer.
Had 35X12.5 on the stock 17" wheels...
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
davyboyXJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

2.5 rc lift (coils and shocks) with 35s and flat flares
newjeep1.jpg   newjeep3.jpg  
davyboyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecatch View Post

I don't have alot of plans to go crazy off roading, just would like to increase the height 2.5". But my dealer is telling me that with a Teleraflex 2.5" lift that 35" tires will rub, even with after market wheels with a smaller offset. Is it true that with 2.5" lift and different wheels, I will still get rubbing?
2.5" will fit 35s easy. To go with 33"s or 35"s is personal preference. Each has their benefits and drawbacks. If you get new tires, make sure the stock rim width is suitable for the brand of tire that you choose.

PS. Your salesman is a moron.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
joecatch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboyXJ View Post
2.5 rc lift (coils and shocks) with 35s and flat flares
Very nice!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.