35" Tires on stock Rubi wheels? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 35" Tires on stock Rubi wheels?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
Roadtrip

35" Tires on stock Rubi wheels?

Anyone running 35" tires on stock rubi rims? If so do you have pics and were there any width issues?

I am torn between:

Toyo MT (worried about the width)
Procomp Extreme MT (not available yet)
Nitto Mud Grapplers (have never seen a set on 17" rims let alone in person)
Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial (So far, the likely choice)

Roadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
JacksJeep

You will need a wider rim that comes stock on the Wrangler to stay within the rim dimensions specified by the tire manufacturers for 35 inch tires.
JacksJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
UTAH

Well... maybe. It depends on how you'll be using your Jeep.

If you're going to be airing down off-road, you'll keep the bead seated better by "overtiring." And, as an added benefit, you'll better protect those nice Ruby rims.

Bill
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Your stock rim will be fine, you may however encounter clearance issues due to the lack of backspacing on your factory rims. May you should look into some wheel spacers. Also, in your list of tires I noticed that Goodyear MT/R's where not listed as an option. In my experience they are an excellent tire, you should give them a look.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTJ
Your stock rim will be fine, you may however encounter clearance issues due to the lack of backspacing on your factory rims. May you should look into some wheel spacers. Also, in your list of tires I noticed that Goodyear MT/R's where not listed as an option. In my experience they are an excellent tire, you should give them a look.
Thanks I am glad to here this and yep, I bought Spidertrax 1.25" backspacers and a Fulltraction Lift 3" (waiting for it since Nov).

I had those Goodyear's on my Ford and would love to get them again but they don't come in 35" x 12.5" x 17". unless it's a new size that I wasn't aware of.

Last edited by Roadtrip; 12-18-2006 at 10:41 AM..
Unread 12-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAH
Well... maybe. It depends on how you'll be using your Jeep.

If you're going to be airing down off-road, you'll keep the bead seated better by "overtiring." And, as an added benefit, you'll better protect those nice Ruby rims.

Bill
If I don't air down will it affect the bead, or will it be more susceptable to punctures?
Unread 12-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Karamba

Look at the wheels and tires on this description. Guy who made the conversion posts here - you may ask him how does it work.

Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
Look at the wheels and tires on this description. Guy who made the conversion posts here - you may ask him how does it work.
What a small world I was just cruising his site... Man he has some wicked custom Jeep's.
Unread 12-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip
If I don't air down will it affect the bead, or will it be more susceptable to punctures?
Good question. The bead is best kept seated by maintaining pressure. So, it's happiest to stay with higher psi. You just don't want to go low enough where the tire gets sloppy and pops the bead Ė particularly if itís loaded from the side. Some guys here run really low pressures (e.g., 10 psi and lower) off-road and you probably won't be down that low. I don't go lower than 15 psi only because I don't like to worry about it.

Besides, airing down is mainly to increase traction - it increases the contact patch while also allowing the tire to wrap around and grab things better. If you're getting enough traction you need for the type of off-road driving you do, there's no need to risk going too low on air pressure.

I donít know whether airing down increases the chance of punctures or not. I'll bet some of our died-in-the-wool rock crawlers will chime in with an answer on that one.

Bill
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
canucksjk

Tried to put 35 Ta ko's with a 2.5 teraflex budget boost. The backs fit but the fronts will rub alot

Decided to put 33's and wait for new Rims to clear the front sway bar.

Perry
canucksjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
mackssrt

Is it rubbing on the fender or what? TeraFlex makes that wheel spacer. I'm curious as I'm working on a deal right now for an unlimited and was planning on the 2.5 budget with 35's on the rubicon rims but had heard the spacers are needed to get the backspacing to fit. Thanks.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2005 Ram srt10 regular cab
2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
mackssrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:03 AM   #12
canucksjk

No fender rub. It Rubs on the Sway bar with the 35's and no backspacing. I did not want to run back spacers so I opted for the 33's for the winter and will install 35's Mud terrains with correct wheeels in the spring

I'll have pics up today for ya,

P
canucksjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
CheEng1

First post here.

Does it rub when wheeling only or on pavement?
CheEng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.