35" Tires with 6-Speed and 3.21 gears? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 35" Tires with 6-Speed and 3.21 gears?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
OffRoadRyder
2009 JK Wrangler 

35" Tires with 6-Speed and 3.21 gears?

2009 JKU-X

Am I going to hate this?

I'm leaning towards a 2.5" BB (Terraflex) with 1.5" spacers and the stock 17" rims.

or

OffRoadRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
breljohn
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes, you will hate this. Just read the threads everywhere saying how bad it is...
breljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
schoony
2007 JK Wrangler 

I ran this for 6 months. If you don't want to climb a hill or haul anything, then you'll be fine. It's not that it isnt driveable, it's just a dog. Funny thing, the highway driving will get you some descent mpg.
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

Try it for yourself... only way to see

Personally I think you'll be fine... just downshift to 3rd for hills.
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Do it. Regear when you can. You will regreat going with 33's. Like I did. I sold em for 35s. I have 3.73 gears though. The 6 speeds handle bigger tires way way way better than the autos.
08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Rdlynch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
mhaines
2008 JK Wrangler 

Had 6spd with 3.21s when we got our 08 JKU X. When we put 35s on, it wasn't as much fun to drive. I found a set of d30/d44 open carriers with 4.10 ( which are now for sale) and it was a ton better!
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

35's with a manual transmission will work better with 4.88 gears.

Or you could just throw out four years of a built up experienced knowledge base. It's not like it was in 2007 when everyone was trying to figure this stuff out because the complete redesign and an engine that operates in a different power band than the previous.
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
mhaines
2008 JK Wrangler 

Of course it all boils down to what you are actually going to be doing with your rig. Wheel every chance you get? 35" and 4.88, highway driver with occasional trails? 35" and 4.56
4.10s are tolerable for daily driver with light trail duty.
Chart will give you an idea on what it'll be doing
image-3739266181.jpg  
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Highway it should be ok. I was running 4.10s with 35s and it was fine, usually had to drop to 5th to climb a bill at highway speed, obviously with 3.21s you'll be on the shift a whole lot more. Where you'll really be unhappy is on the trail. Moving so slowly, I hated my 4.10s in high range, but I only like to drop it to low range when I need it for crawling. Picking up the rig tomorrow, had 4.88s installed this week.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
OffRoadRyder
2009 JK Wrangler 

What does it cost to re-gear? Is it a DIY job?
285/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs
OffRoadRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadRyder
What does it cost to re-gear? Is it a DIY job?
Absolutely not. It will cost a minimum of 1000 dollars, labor alone a lot of the time. It depends on where you go. Connect with some local 4x4 people in your area, who know mechanics that are willing to do it cheaper than what a normal shop would cost. I meet a guy at a local tire shop who goes offroad a lot with his ford pickup and is very knowledgable. Hes done multiple regears on his own and others rigs and offered to do both front and rear axles in mine, 2 hours labor each axle, at 80 and hour. Not bad at all. Bout a third of the price as what a regular shop would charge.
08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlynch2

Absolutely not. It will cost a minimum of 1000 dollars, labor alone a lot of the time. It depends on where you go. Connect with some local 4x4 people in your area, who know mechanics that are willing to do it cheaper than what a normal shop would cost. I meet a guy at a local tire shop who goes offroad a lot with his ford pickup and is very knowledgable. Hes done multiple regears on his own and others rigs and offered to do both front and rear axles in mine, 2 hours labor each axle, at 80 and hour. Not bad at all. Bout a third of the price as what a regular shop would charge.
Wow you got a great deal. Labor for mine cost $900 plus the parts which was about another $700. Not a cheap job, it's also a good idea to put some heavy duty diff covers on at that time if you're doing much off roading. I went with the ARB covers at about $175 each. Running 35s is a pretty big investment, $5000 is not a bad estimate for doing the whole job including lift, rims/tires, gears. That was with me installing my own lift.

Build Thread

Unread 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi

Wow you got a great deal. Labor for mine cost $900 plus the parts which was about another $700. Not a cheap job, it's also a good idea to put some heavy duty diff covers on at that time if you're doing much off roading. I went with the ARB covers at about $175 each. Running 35s is a pretty big investment, $5000 is not a bad estimate for doing the whole job including lift, rims/tires, gears. That was with me installing my own lift.
Yeah, it is a great deal, I am happy that I meet him! I dont plan on regearing anytime soon though. Im honestly fine with the performance of the 3.73 gears and 35s on road. I concentrating now on getting my lo end gearing down/crawl ratio up. Currently in search of a used/new rubi xcase. That will provide more low end gear reduction than a differential regear would.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Yeah, it is a great deal, I am happy that I meet him! I dont plan on regearing anytime soon though. Im honestly fine with the performance of the 3.73 gears and 35s on road. I concentrating now on getting my lo end gearing down/crawl ratio up. Currently in search of a used/new rubi xcase. That will provide more low end gear reduction than a differential regear would.
I'm

Build Thread

Unread 11-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm fortunate enough to already have the 4:1, I can say for sure though with that xfer case you absolutely don't want to be running low range all the time. I found the 4.10s to be acceptable, although not ideal, on the road, my biggest issue is running high range on the trail, it is totally gutless. If you go 4.88 or 5.13 you will be fine with your current xfer case, promise.

Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.