35" tires and 5.13 gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 35" tires and 5.13 gears

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
LovinFirstJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

35" tires and 5.13 gears

whats the fuel economy and speeds like on the highway/freeway? im thinkin about going this route. but i drive about 100 miles on freeway about once a month. so i was wondering how the rig would do. thanks

LovinFirstJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

I've never looked at my mileage, but I have that setup, and can cruise on the freeway comfortably at 70-75 miles per hour.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Fine in an auto, not so fine with the stick.
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

I disagree. I have the 6 speed, and being able to manually control shifting points is what make this work even better.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Jerzjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Does this help

Unread 04-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
LovinFirstJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

yeah the graph is what actaully got me thinking 5.13 but i wanted to hear some first hand feed back.
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
STUPIDFACE
2008 JK Wrangler 

I hardly ever drive 100 miles at a time. When i do drive long distances, you can see the avg. fuel economy digits go up a pretty good bit. To be honest, i really never checked it with pen and paper. I know the meter on the dash is off because i never used a programmer. My avg meter is reading maybe 12.5 to 13 right now. I did tow a trailer the other day, so that took it down a bit. I can say one thing for certain, if your looking for good fuel economy, leave the jeeps alone. If you have driven on 35's with the 3:73, taking off and cruising on inclines is a hell of alot better with the 5"13's.

corey d
STUPIDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
KICKER32
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzjeep View Post
Does this help

So according to this the stock 3.73 gears are not even in the factoty range with stock tires?How f'n lame.
KICKER32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have been having 35's and 5.13 gears for a long time now. I have an automatic transmission and four doors. This gear / tire combination is perfect in my opinion. I have pretty good power, can tow pretty good, take cross country trips on the interstate, cruise control works great, etc. etc. Basically, I cannot find one good reason not to run 5.13 gears with 315/70-17 tires with an automatic transmission. With my setup, I make 17 mpg. When I had the same tires and wheels but 4.10 gears, I got 12 mpg and everything sucked. When I was bone stock with my Sahara, I got 19. My performance, towing, acceleration, everything is better than stock and I only lost 2 mpg compared to running stock 18" wheels and 32" sahara street tires. My transmission even shifts better than stock. Read my numerous posts about this subject. My only regret about 5.13 gears is not doing it sooner. I ran for 4,000 miles with 35's and 4.10's and the longer I had that combination, the more annoyed I got with my Jeep. I was at the point to where I figured that I may have to go with a hemi or go back to stock tires/wheels. For $1,300, regearing solved my woes and I'm not really inclined to go for a hemi anymore. My Jeep feels like this is how it should have come from the factory, because there are no negative effects. If you have a manual transmission, most people prefer 4.88's with 35's. I have never driven a manual transmission JK, so I cannot vouch for that.
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
JohnBarleycorn
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have no idea how you are getting 17 mpg. My commute doesnt involve hills and has minimal stop and go and I am only able to average 13.6-13.8 across a tank of gas. With 4.10's and 32's I was around 19-21 depending on how many trips to the mountain I made. Granted the power is much better with the 5.13's it isnt any kind of a mpg upgrade.
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll echo GE2. Have the same setup with 5.13 and 35" on a 4 dr 6sp, and have zero complaints. Not sure why people think this setup only works on an auto.

Drove down to the Truck and Jeep show last weekend - about 45 minutes highway drive each way from where I live, and did 70-75 with the whole family, no issues. Even used the cruise control.

Mileage on that trip was about 14-15 MPG IIRC. About 2 better than I get city.
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
LovinFirstJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys. on a side note would a 315/75 R16 look funny on a 16X7 wheel? thanks
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
JohnBarleycorn
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
Drove down to the Truck and Jeep show last weekend
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but how was the show? Any good deals? Im kicking myself for not going.
Unread 04-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn View Post
I have no idea how you are getting 17 mpg. My commute doesnt involve hills and has minimal stop and go and I am only able to average 13.6-13.8 across a tank of gas. With 4.10's and 32's I was around 19-21 depending on how many trips to the mountain I made. Granted the power is much better with the 5.13's it isnt any kind of a mpg upgrade.

With 4.10's and 32's I got 19. With 4.10's and 35's I got 12. With 5.13's and 35's I get 17. If I am unfortunate enough to have to st

Last edited by Prot; 04-09-2009 at 05:27 PM..
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn View Post
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but how was the show? Any good deals? Im kicking myself for not going.
They had some nice rigs, but it was a really small show. Great deals on rims (steelies for $50 a piece), and I could have gotten a Powerplant for $1200. But other than that, it was like walking through a catalog and getting 10% off.

If you had a stock rig, this was a great way to get started. But with only major parts/suppliers, for me it was rig watching and then a burger and just a drive home. The little guy (my 2 year old) loved it though - needed to "drive" every vehicle there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.