35 tire selection help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
mbogan
2012 JK Wrangler 

35 tire selection help

First time poster here, although I have been reading threads now for well over a year.

I own a 2012 JKU that I have been planning on lifting since purchasing it last May. After quite a bit of research I am now ready to get the lift and tires.

I have spent so much time researching this that I cannot make a simple decision on the tires. So, I am looking for some guidance based on experience.

Here is my scenario, I live in Norhern NJ and plan on installing a 2.5 AEV lift with 35s on stock 17" Moabs w/ 1.5 SpiderTrax spacers for Phase 1. I will then be budgeting for a re-gear later in the year and will eventually swap out the rims for a set of AEV Pintlers, Pro Comp 7005, or KMC Addicts (another decision issue).

This is my DD (less that 10k miles per year), 80% Road / 20% wheeling at first until I can get my wife and kids into more off roading. I need to take in to consideration the performance in the rain, snow, and icy conditions.

I really want an agressive looking tire and also prefer BLACK lettering over White. This is one of the issues, because I cant tell which tires would be ALL black as some can be reversed.

I have narrowed the search down to the following:

Goodyear Duratrac (315/70/17)
Goodyear MT/R (35x12.5x17)
Nitto Trail Grabbers (35x12.5x17)
Cooper Discover STT LT (35x12.5x17)
BF Goodrich T/A KM2 (35x12.5x17)

I need to take weight and road conditions into consideration, since I will not be immediately regearing. Right now I am leaning toward the DuraTracs or Coopers.

I have looked at everyones pics and they all look great. The KM2 doesnt look like it wears very well, as it appears to loose the aggressive look quickly.

Most of the places I have found with the best prices include: OnlineTires.com, TreadDepot.com and TireRack.com. There arent any DiscountTires around me so the price seems to go up on the Discount Tire Direct.

Any advice here would be huge, along with a pic or two on a Black JKU.

Thanks in Advance!!

BTW - if anyone is selling Tires / Wheels in my area I would be interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Tanimal
2008 JK Wrangler 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
post #3 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM
brighton
2010 JK Wrangler 

Not a black Jeep but since the Goodyear MT/R's were on your list, i have to say I really like these so far. One of the reasons I went with the MT/R's is they are relatively light compared to some other 35's. They are also much quieter on-road than my stock BFG KM's. I'm probably 75-80% DD, with my off-roading primarily on sandy trails with water and mud. The Duratracs are also a light tire and very popular and I might have considered them but I really needed a mud terrain for the off-roading I do.

These are better in rain than the KM's were, no experience in snow or icy conditions here in Florida, lol.

'10 JKU Mango Tango 6sp

Last edited by brighton; 02-26-2013 at 08:18 AM.

post #4 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

The Duratrac will perform fantastic in snow and rain. They work surprisingly well in muddy conditions also (for an All Terrain tire).

Nice quiet ride on the highway and long lasting...my last set took off at 65,000 -ish and still had good tread left.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
mbogan
2012 JK Wrangler 

The MT/R's were my original choice.

They really look good on your JKU. How long have you been running them?
post #6 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
mbogan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK
The Duratrac will perform fantastic in snow and rain. They work surprisingly well in muddy conditions also (for an All Terrain tire).

Nice quiet ride on the highway and long lasting...my last set took off at 65,000 -ish and still had good tread left.
Do the Duractracs come without the White lettering?
post #7 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM
brighton
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogan
The MT/R's were my original choice.

They really look good on your JKU. How long have you been running them?
Not long, about a month. You can also get the Duratracs in the blackwall without white lettering

'10 JKU Mango Tango 6sp
post #8 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM
ncb

Couple of poser shots. 35X12.50X17 KM2s with 2.5" lift. I had 33" KM2s and they performed well wheeling here in Colorado. Haven't been off road yet since getting the 35s last month.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2741795792.jpg   image-1980572994.jpg  
post #9 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mount the white lettering in. I just bought duratracs. Going on this week. Like you I read about every post out there. I'm in S jersey. I grew up in Passaic county. Where do you plan on wheeling? There's plenty of trails up in Ringwood and west Milford.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

09 JK w/ a winch and duratracs
Just enough to get through most of the time,
get stuck sometimes, and still get home
post #10 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
mbogan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrdchiropractic
Mount the white lettering in. I just bought duratracs. Going on this week. Like you I read about every post out there. I'm in S jersey. I grew up in Passaic county. Where do you plan on wheeling? There's plenty of trails up in Ringwood and west Milford.

Thanks for the info. What was the major deciding point forn the Duratracs?

I am in Bergen cty. Most places areond here are not legal, but i have heard about some organized events somewhere in West Milford. Otherwise, there is the Poconos and i think some areas of NY.

Post pics when you get them on.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
mbogan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
Couple of poser shots. 35X12.50X17 KM2s with 2.5" lift. I had 33" KM2s and they performed well wheeling here in Colorado. Haven't been off road yet since getting the 35s last month.
Great looking Jeep!!! That is basically the look i am gong for. Just curious what kind of lift you got, and if you have liked it?
post #12 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM
ncb

Quote:

Great looking Jeep!!! That is basically the look i am gong for. Just curious what kind of lift you got, and if you have liked it?
Thank you. It's built around the AEV 2.5 inch springs and tuned Bilstein shocks. I added an adjustable front track bar and lower control arms, OME steering stabilizer w/relocation bracket and Teraflex sway bar links for the rear (moved the stock rear links to the front). I like the set up with the 35s. With the 33s it handled great off road. At 70 mph it tracks straight and isn't a ***** to keep on the road.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mostly same things you stated. Good for general off roading. Great in rain, snow, and as good ad you can get in ice. Most people say they are pretty decent in mud. Look good. My buddy had a TJ. When I told him what I was buying he said they were the best tires he ever owned. Another guy w a Dodge 2500 said he is very satisfied with their overall performance. They seem to get good life out of them. I'm picking up 32" since I will be loading the baby into the back seat (2 door). The 2.5 lift and 33" puts me 5+" higher and that's gonna or a pain in the a$$. 2 more years and ill be able to get what I want. Small price to pay I guess.

09 JK w/ a winch and duratracs
Just enough to get through most of the time,
get stuck sometimes, and still get home
post #14 of 35 Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Do the Duractracs come without the White lettering?
Yes but depends on the size. You can always mount them white letter in as the tires are non-directional.
post #15 of 35 Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Tags
help needed , jku , lift + spacers , stock , tire choice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.