35" Duratracs on a 2.5" lift....help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 35" Duratracs on a 2.5" lift....help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
chrisguags
2008 JK Wrangler 

35" Duratracs on a 2.5" lift....help

Hey guys, Ive been wanting to upgrade my wheels and tires for a while now. I currently have a 2.5" RC spacer lift in my 08 JK Sahara. I knew I could fit 33's easily and ended up going big and bought 315/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs. They measure out to 34.6". I got a great deal on them for $750 for 4 tires.

I just need wheels now! I am not sure what wheels would have enough backspace or not, but I have had my eyes on the following wheels :
Level 8 Guardian (edit: There are 2 different types of Guardians on discounttiredirect.com....Different backspacing. Which one would provide a wider look?)

or

MB Wheel 72

or

Level 8 Trackers

I already have RC 1.5" wheel spacers on it...so I can keep those on for an extra wide look. What would you guys suggest?
Is the backspace on these wheels enough to not use spacers?
Also, would an 8.5" width be good enough for such a wide tire? (315/75R16)

Last edited by chrisguags; 01-28-2013 at 10:41 PM..
chrisguags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I think if you get wheels (whatever type you like) with 4.5" (or less) backspacing you should be fine. I have MB 72 16" wheels on 305/70's and no spacers (or lift... yet!) and on daily driving I don't rub anything (have 4.75 (I think but it may be 4.5) backspaced wheels). I do rub a little off road when going over some of the bigger (for a stock jeep anyway) stuff but not too bad. I'm looking into lifts for spring (spring = season.. not just a really bad pun on a lift. heh.) purchase currently. So much fun.

With 35's you also may need to cut pinch seams and may rub more on the air dam in the front with wheels turned. You can remove the wheel spacers if you get 4.5 or less backspaced wheels too (your choice). Not sure if you need to C gussets or sleeve the front axle with 35's either. But I'm sure someone else will know and chime in on that.

Check out the FAQ section there is a rather well written "will it rub" section that will answer most if not all of your concerns.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

i've got mb72's with 35x12.5" falken wildpeaks, measured out to right around 34.25 at 28psi. 2.5" rock krawler flex kit. But the front of mine picked up 4.5 inches with this lift.
xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Spike6901

I would go with a wider wheel but others may say it isn't needed. I have 305's on a 9" wide wheel with 4.75" bs and I would not want to go any more narrow for sure but they sit perfect.

ProComp makes a 16x10 with 4.75" BS.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm running the MB72 from Discount Tire but in a 17. My rim width is 8.5 and I'm pretty sure the b/s is 4.25. They stick out about an inch from the stock flair with a 285/70/17. I think that b/s is about ideal, if you added the wheelspacer in too it would seem to put more stress on the hub bearing assy. It would also increase the scrub radius.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
chrisguags
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
I'm running the MB72 from Discount Tire but in a 17. My rim width is 8.5 and I'm pretty sure the b/s is 4.25. They stick out about an inch from the stock flair with a 285/70/17. I think that b/s is about ideal, if you added the wheelspacer in too it would seem to put more stress on the hub bearing assy. It would also increase the scrub radius.
Sooo which guardians have less backspace?

Anyone know? I see a Guardian on discounttire that is on special order...Im not sure of the difference between the one I posted and the special order one.

Anyone else have opinions with running this setup?
chrisguags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
35s , duratrac , lift , spacers , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.