3 inch lift turned into almost five up front? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 inch lift turned into almost five up front?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 09-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

3 inch lift turned into almost five up front? Teraflex experts?

Hi, new 2013 JKR 2dr, supposedly dealer installed 3 inch Teraflex lift, adjustable arms, shocks etc. 35 Toyo's. Finally solved a vibration issue (bad shock) but now interested in how much lift should I have gotten or have?

I did not get a chance to measure anything prelift.

Post lift I measure 25" center of front hub to bottom of stock fender. Rear measures 24". I found a thread which said stock ride height is 20.5 front, 21.25 rear. So that means I'm showing 4.5" front lift, 3.75 rear lift. This is a Rubi, so is the stock height higher?

Dealer stated they use the 4dr 2.5" lift spring to net a 3" 2dr lift. Does that sound right? If so, why did I end up with almost five up front, and close enough to expected in the back? I do not mind a front lower rake at all, in fact I hate front end higher/prerunner look. This is not higher, perfectly level actually, but I figure load it up with gear and now I'm nose hi. It is markedly stiffer, which I thought Teraflex was as close to OEM ride as you could get.

I looked at springs and could not see any markings, is there a way to ID the springs I'm not seeing?

Busting through the mythical "3 inch now need a driveline mod" measurement is my concern, as well as not needing that much lift if I don't need it.

I am running AEV rims with offsetting to account for the 35's, I have full lock to lock with no rubbing. This thing turns on itself. Do I need 3 plus inches of lift or will 2.5 be fine?

Second question, extended front brake lines route behind front shock, but they touch the front shock as in they just sort of fall and lay that way, I'm thinking over time those will wear through as they rub the shock. Anyone have pics of extended line routing?

Comments appreciated.

( I had this posted on the offroad equipment forum with no response)

73azbronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have any extra weight, like after market bumpers or a winch. Most after market lift are designed to net stated height with the extra weight on the jeep. If yours is stock other than the lift you can expect a higher net lift. Here's a stock measurement
imageuploadedbytapatalk-2021376854585_716629.jpg

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

I have the 3" teraflex lift and 35" toyo open country mt tires on my 2013 rubi 2 door.

Lift height measured 7" of lift on the front bumper measured before and after. I think it's normal, plus the springs will usually settle in after you get some miles on them.
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

if what you say is true that you are at 5+ front. yes you need a drive line, its a 2d both.

mine was 3.5 spring and with bumpers winch and metal fenders its still over 4 front and 4+rear even after about 2 years. if I load it up with gear hardtop and hard doors it starts get to the 3.5 ish range. I went with better drive lines out of the box. the stock dl tubes are very thin. they wont take rocks well. tend to collapse if weighted once it gets a ding.
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I'm waiting to do the drive shafts right now. The angle doesn't look too extreme and I haven't seen or heard any sign of failure. But I do plan to replace at least the front down the line. I also want to upgrade the control arms and get "speed bumps" installed. Sorry, kind off topic there.
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Factory ride height is subjective. ie a Sport with softtop only option can be a much as 2" lower then a Sahara or Rubicon with dual top group and towing package.
Hence, a 3" lift may very well give you 5" lift yet not require driveshafts or adjustable control arms . All Jeeps will have the same ride height with 3" lift springs from the lift manufacturer. Adding the extra weight from skids, bumpers, and gear will also reduce the ride height.
No idea why the dealer would use a 2.5" 4dr lift to get 3" on a 2dr rather then just get a 3" 2dr lift. The 4dr lift will likely yield a stiffer ride.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Filthy thanks for measurements, Ill check tomorrow.

Any way to ID springs?

Teraflex site makes it look like 2 and 4 door springs are identical. Verified by talking with tech at TF (same springs, just vary by lift)

So that's a good point, should I have just gone with 2.5inch springs and call it a day, will those clear 35's? The "will it rub" thread really doesn't address lifted with offset rims and 35's.

And, will a 3" 2dr lift spring be different than a 4 door 2.5" lift spring? I would think yes, slightly tougher spring rate in a four door? Resulting in stiffer ride? Why shouldn't I just expect to use a 2.5 spring for a two door, are those part numbers different for the same height?

Yes, I plan to install a winch and steel bumper, so I will be waiting for that to occur to think about swapping stuff. But when I do that, then add a rear bumper with integrated wheel mount, won't that just shift everything back to null? In other words, a flat ride vs slight nose down rake?
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Measured shock, I show 22 7/8" so net lift of 4 and lets call it 1/4". Will a winch and mid width steel bumper drop the front 1 1/4" ? I'm skeptical...
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco
Measured shock, I show 22 7/8" so net lift of 4 and lets call it 1/4". Will a winch and mid width steel bumper drop the front 1 1/4" ? I'm skeptical...
It will drop some but who knows how much. Depends on the springs. I have a 100lb bumper and 80lb winch with my aev lift and it hardly dropped at all. Wish it would have come down more actually...
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You can ID the factory springs by the last 2 number in the part# tag if they are still on the springs.
Front will be between 13 and 19, 13 being the softest.
Rear will be between 54 and 60, 54 being the softest.

Simply put, A 2dr Sport with 13/54 spring combo will see a greater gain with a 3" lift spring, then a 4dr with 19/60 spring combo. In the end they will both be the same height with 3" lift springs, all things being equal.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Like Brian has said. It depends on a lot of factors. You have 4dr spring with a higher spring rate already, but are they also HD springs meant to carry a bumper and winch on said 4dr? I doubt you will see 1 1/4" drop from a mid width and winch. I installed a AEV full width with winch plate approx 160# and didn't drop more the 1/4".
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

So should I go back and request springs to match the lift I paid for, 3"? Remember, the 3" point is expensive land with mandatory need of driveshafts. Pushing 4" just doesn't pass the common sense test if I paid the dealer to give me 3", not almost 5.
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So should I go back and request springs to match the lift I paid for, 3"?
First get the part # from the NEW springs and/or the part# of the kit installed. Contact the lift manufacturer and ask the questions and offer your concerns. If anyone can answer your questions properly it will be them.
Otherwise yes I would back to the dealer and ask for a 3" lift springs for a 2dr..

And yes I know of what I speak. I installed a 2.5" 4dr TeraFlex lift in my daughters 2dr and the ride is harsh compared to a 4 dr with the same lift and a 2dr with the proper 2dr springs.
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks JTphoto.

FilthyBeast, is that stock shock measurement the same for the rear shock?

I've got bigger fish to fry for a month, maybe the springs will settle, I only have 800 road miles on them and do plan to throw a steel front bumper on in a month.
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure, but I doubt it.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.