3.8L ticking sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.8L ticking sound

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

3.8L ticking sound

Hello everyone, my 2011 Wrangler Sport has developed a ticking sound and I am unsure if I should be concerned. I do not remember how long this sound has been occurring, but I just noticed it one day. I have almost 23K miles and have done regular oil changes with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 about every 5K miles. Below is the video. The noise appears to be coming from the top of the engine. Since I am still under warranty, I was planning on taking it in to have the dealer look at it after I clean some of the mud off. Also, no engine or exhaust modifications have been made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeTzS...ature=youtu.be

thedude386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
jtoast

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/p...issue-1325656/
jtoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, but I have the 3.8L and not 3.6L pentastar.
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Listening to ticking sounds from a YouTube clip isn’t really the ideal way to diagnose the problem you might have. You might want to take it to an independent shop or two and have them have a listen, it will cost you nothing. If they determine that something is indeed wrong then when you take it to the dealer you’ll have something to back you up if they tell you it’s normal.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks!
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

if the ticking is only when the engine is cold (i.e. it goes away after a while) then check the exhaust manifold for small cracks.
Jiblet is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
WXman
2001 WJ 

Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic. There's your problem.

Try using a "heavier" oil, and a regular conventional blend is even better. Mine ticked like a sewing machine until I started using conventional 5W30.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic. There's your problem.

Try using a "heavier" oil, and a regular conventional blend is even better. Mine ticked like a sewing machine until I started using conventional 5W30.
Yeah do this and void your warranty
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
Yeah do this and void your warranty
no, it won't.
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
no, it won't.
explain?
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

I am kind of curious to that as well. I have always changed my own oil, and I neglected to save receipts of the Oil that I bought, However I did keep a log of each filter that I used and the oil used. I have always used the WIX 51516 extended filter with full synthetic oil. Additionally, I have always cut my oil filters open and inspected the filters for shavings and have not seen anything out of the ordinary in the past. That still doesn't mean that something happened since the last oil change. I am actually due for another change soon, but I am debating on if I should change it before or after I take it to the dealer. If they do some work and tear apart the engine, then I would have to think that they would change the oil which would mean it would be a waste for me to change it before I take it to them. At the same time, they could see that it is time for an oil change and say that if I change my oil the problem will be fixed even though I think I was hearing this noise before I changed the oil last time but couldn't remember if I had always heard this noise or if it was new. I also do not remember if it went away when I changed my oil before and just came back.
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
SRM
2012 JK Wrangler 

Try changing to conventional oil and see if it quiets down.
[B]Mine[/B]: 2012 Sport S, Black, de-badged, Auto, Power/Connectivity, and damn proud of my 3:21's :)
[B]Hers[/B]: 2010 Sahara, dual top, all the goodies...

[I]No, I'm not a Mall Crawler. I've driven over a curb 2, maybe 3 times... :)[/I]

Previous: 2010 Camaro SS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Camaro Z28, and various 2nd gen f-bodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
explain?
The warranty doesn't require 5w-20. That is the manual's recommendation (most likely to meet CAFE). The requirement is an oil that is API certified and meets the MS6395 specs. Many brands and many weights will meet those both.

The 3.8 have been around for a while and were built to use 10w-30. some folks with oil-burners swear by xw-30. One fellow posts about his experiences using 15w-40 (on another forum, in a hot climate).

Personally, I use M1 5w-20 and change within 500-1000 miles of the OCI.

OP's ticking may not be oil related.

I'd drop it off the night before and have them listen to the cold start up. It's a tough call, listening to the video but that has a bit of an exhaust sound to my ears. Not so much a valve clatter. But I can't tell.
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
Try changing to conventional oil and see if it quiets down.
I was under the impression that it wasn't a good idea to switch between synthetic and conventional. Something about how the engine breaks in. Would switching to a blend be a better idea since I have been using synthetic.

I got this information from my girlfriends dad who is a GM engine Tech for development engines.
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
WXman
2001 WJ 

The 3.8L shipped with conventional, and conventional is the only thing the dealership will use unless you ask otherwise. Why are people switching to synthetic? The change interval is "no more than 8,000 miles" according to the owners manual...so synthetic is a waste of cash.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.