3.8L excessive oil consumption - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.8L excessive oil consumption

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #91
rodrick316

if it wasent for this site,,and sites like this,,,i would have known NOTHING about oil consumption,,ive been reading for 2 days and am ALARMED by what im finding,,there is alot of ppl out there with the same issue as me,,,I NEVER knew it...thank god for this website,,,im NOT CAR SMART,,and if it wasent for this site,,i would have just continued checking my oil every tank of gas and adding quarts,,thinking nothing was wrong,,this site has been a MAJOR HELP<<>>for me anyways

rodrick316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #92
rodrick316

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Scam? Your Warranty May Mean Nothing - Internal Chrysler Documents Revealed

In additional to blaming consumers whenever possible for engine failures covered under warranty, Chrysler also tells dealers in an internal memo that it is normal for their vehicles to consume up to 1 quart of oil every 1,000 and 1 quart every 750 miles for engines over 50,000 miles! Many engines only hold 4-5 quarts on average where you may be dangerously low on motor oil sooner than you would expect. Chrysler is avoiding honoring warranties for problems such as excessive Oil consumption, which is often an indication of future engine failure. To avoid defective Engine warranty claims, Chrysler sends internal memo to dealers stating that acceptable Oil consumption for Engines below 50,000 miles is one quart per 1,000 miles driven! Acceptable Oil consumption for Chrysler Engines with over 50,000 miles is one quart per 750 miles! For more proof, ask to see the memo at your local dealer
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #93
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrick316 View Post
Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Scam? Your Warranty May Mean Nothing - Internal Chrysler Documents Revealed

In additional to blaming consumers whenever possible for engine failures covered under warranty, Chrysler also tells dealers in an internal memo that it is normal for their vehicles to consume up to 1 quart of oil every 1,000 and 1 quart every 750 miles for engines over 50,000 miles! Many engines only hold 4-5 quarts on average where you may be dangerously low on motor oil sooner than you would expect. Chrysler is avoiding honoring warranties for problems such as excessive Oil consumption, which is often an indication of future engine failure. To avoid defective Engine warranty claims, Chrysler sends internal memo to dealers stating that acceptable Oil consumption for Engines below 50,000 miles is one quart per 1,000 miles driven! Acceptable Oil consumption for Chrysler Engines with over 50,000 miles is one quart per 750 miles! For more proof, ask to see the memo at your local dealer
That standard has been around for all the manufacturers, for many decades; from before cars had much of a warranty to try to get out of.
It's not like it's a new conspiracy by Chrysler.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #94
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Its still horse****, though. The flatheads from the 30s didn't regularly burn that much oil.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #95
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Its still horse****, though. The flatheads from the 30s didn't regularly burn that much oil.
I know. I had them in a '40 Ford, and a '53 Hudson Hornet. But, there were plenty that did burn oil.

No one seems to know the ratio of 3.8 oil burners to those that don't burn oil.
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #96
rodrick316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
That standard has been around for all the manufacturers, for many decades; from before cars had much of a warranty to try to get out of.
It's not like it's a new conspiracy by Chrysler.
it might not be a conspiracy,,,but if 10 people own jeeps and 8 of the jeeps burn 1 quart between oil changes and,,and 2 of the jeeps burn 1 quart every 1000 kms,and there all the same make,,,same year and in the same mile range,and the jeeps are all MADE from the same metal,,and same fiberglass,,and same parts,,then ALL the jeeps should burn 1 quart between oil changes,,,IF THIS is not the case,,,THAN something is wrong,,i dont care what chrysler says and i dont care what anyone here says,,,if your 1 of the unlucky ones like me who bought 1,,,you would be mad,,,and even MORE MAD,,when your power train 100k warrenty is INVALID....
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #97
rodrick316

AND IF IT IS CONSIDERED NORMAL,,,then why isnt someone like me,,,who walks into a dealership,,and hands down 20 grand,,IF ITS NORMAL,,then why wasent i told about something SO NORMAL??????
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #98
rodrick316

ill tell you why,,becasue CHRYSLER RIPS people off,,,if someone like me sold someone something that cost 20 thousand dollars,,,,and it WASENT up to snuff,,ID BE IN JAIL
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #99
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrick316

it might not be a conspiracy,,,but if 10 people own jeeps and 8 of the jeeps burn 1 quart between oil changes and,,and 2 of the jeeps burn 1 quart every 1000 kms,and there all the same make,,,same year and in the same mile range,and the jeeps are all MADE from the same metal,,and same fiberglass,,and same parts,,then ALL the jeeps should burn 1 quart between oil changes,,,IF THIS is not the case,,,THAN something is wrong,,i dont care what chrysler says and i dont care what anyone here says,,,if your 1 of the unlucky ones like me who bought 1,,,you would be mad,,,and even MORE MAD,,when your power train 100k warrenty is INVALID....
What % of jeeps report this problem?
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #100
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan View Post
What % of jeeps report this problem?
And what % of other brands have oil burners?
No one thinks of that when it's their Jeep that's burning oil. From their perspective, it's irrelevant.

I'm just trying to keep things in perspective. I guess it can't be done.
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #101
Discovery
2007 WK 

I hear your pain. The Wife bought a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, new and it burns a quart every 1000K it now has 174K and still burns a quart every 1k it runs like a top just burns oil.I have a 93ZJ I bought used and it has 213K burns or leaks a pint after 3k.Who knows why this is but since the Rodeo has gone 11 years and still runs fine I would just make sure you add oil and get you moneys worth out of the Vehicle.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #102
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrick316 View Post
It is not the case. Early batches of 3.8s were assembled in Mexico, while they switched to Trenton Michigan for assembly of 3.8s in JKs after 08.

At least from what I've read, the burning 3.8s came from the Mexico plant, but I've never seen any conclusive evidence.

Mine was built in Michigan and it does not burn any oil
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #103
gargyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is an interesting thread. I have an '03 TJ Sahara with 178,000Kms. It does not use any oil between changes. The oil is changed regularly, about 3 months, I use Synthetic (from Costco). It seems just fine.

I have been considering trading it in on a used JK. I may reconsider and look at a new JK instead.

Does anyone know if the new engines have a simlar problem. They have been out a while in other models.
gargyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #104
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
It is not the case. Early batches of 3.8s were assembled in Mexico, while they switched to Trenton Michigan for assembly of 3.8s in JKs after 08.

At least from what I've read, the burning 3.8s came from the Mexico plant, but I've never seen any conclusive evidence.

Mine was built in Michigan and it does not burn any oil
You can't make such generalizations. The picture on the previous page, post #84, shows an '07 oil burner assembled in Trenton. My early '08 was assembled in Trenton, but doesn't burn oil.
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #105
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargyle
This is an interesting thread. I have an '03 TJ Sahara with 178,000Kms. It does not use any oil between changes. The oil is changed regularly, about 3 months, I use Synthetic (from Costco). It seems just fine.

I have been considering trading it in on a used JK. I may reconsider and look at a new JK instead.

Does anyone know if the new engines have a simlar problem. They have been out a while in other models.
Until we know the scope and extent of this issue, we don't know if it is a problem at all. Nobody in this thread seems to know how big the problem is. Is it 1 in 10? Or 1 in 1,000?
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.