3.8L excessive oil consumption - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.8L excessive oil consumption

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #46
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
What bothers me is Jeep/Chrystler not willing to fix it. If I drive the Jeep 4k miles without checking oil and it blows up, bad on me. But if I check it every 300mi (every fill up) and it's buring oil, then Jeep should correct it.

Is that a wrong state of mind?
That's a correct way to look at it, providing you are under warranty, and it is using enough to trigger a response from them, as it has been with other manufactures as well, for as far back as I can remember.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #47
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not saying some of the engines were not assembled incorrectly (they were) or poorly (they were) but it is a small percentage (I don't know the numbers but I read several forums and there are more complaints about leaky tops than losing/burning oil).

But you can give me the keys to your perfectly built, non-oil-burning jeep at breakfast and I will bring it back to you burning oil like a chainsaw by lunchtime.

Yes, jeep turned out some duds. But people also beat the **** out of them, knowingly or not. You can't expect a business to fix everything like it is automatically their fault. Not with a complicated machine who's owners are well known for riding them long and hard.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel sorry for members who suddenly have a problem (or have one from day one) and can't get it fixed.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #48
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I'm not saying some of the engines were not assembled incorrectly (they were) or poorly (they were) but it is a small percentage (I don't know the numbers but I read several forums and there are more complaints about leaky tops than losing/burning oil).

But you can give me the keys to your perfectly built, non-oil-burning jeep at breakfast and I will bring it back to you burning oil like a chainsaw by lunchtime.

Yes, jeep turned out some duds. But people also beat the **** out of them, knowingly or not. You can't expect a business to fix everything like it is automatically their fault. Not with a complicated machine who's owners are well known for riding them long and hard.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel sorry for members who suddenly have a problem (or have one from day one) and can't get it fixed.

The problem is a large number of the 3.8L's that were assembled in Mexico have this problem. I know mine doesnt. I dont burn much oil however I just have that little seepage problem on the front of my timing chain cover.
I still vote have a Japanese company build their engines and eliminated Engines from Chrysler list of issues. Hell we might even start to get better MPG is the Japaneses re-design the engine.
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #49
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
The problem is a large number of the 3.8L's that were assembled in Mexico have this problem. I know mine doesnt.
How do you know the oil burners were assembled in Mexico? I have seen only a couple of owners that knew where theirs came from.
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #50
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
How do you know the oil burners were assembled in Mexico? I have seen only a couple of owners that knew where theirs came from.
Im not saying they were definitely assembled in Mexico. But there was another thread on oil burning issue and they one person said there were a lot of motors assembled in Mexico and those were the motors affected.
Unread 05-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #51
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
The problem is a large number of the 3.8L's that were assembled in Mexico have this problem. I know mine doesnt. I dont burn much oil however I just have that little seepage problem on the front of my timing chain cover.
I still vote have a Japanese company build their engines and eliminated Engines from Chrysler list of issues. Hell we might even start to get better MPG is the Japaneses re-design the engine.

50k highway miles, oil changed at 4k intervals. Never wheeled, no short trips.

Started audible knock at startup in the mid 20s, and started burning oil heavily in the mid 40s.

My 2000 4.0 does not consume oil at all compared to this - in 3000 miles since last oil change, I'm only down half of a quart ... and it's dripping from the oil filter. With that said, I was pretty rough on my XJ for a while. 500 miles a week, in the city - start and stop traffic, starting and stopping 100 times a day, and then friday afternoon, I'd be on the highway going 70 for a few hours - that is THE formula for burning oil. Lets not forget that I do wheel it too. I am also running light synthetic oil ... shouldn't that cause the XJ to leak and consume like the exxon?

What gets me is WHERE IS THE OIL GOING? My father has a 2001 Ford Truck and it burns oil - visibly so. When you start it up, there's a blue puff of smoke from the exhaust. If you lug it taking off from a stop light there's a blue puff of smoke.

My old Ford Taurus LEAKED oil. There would be spots.

The JK doesn't take off in a cloud of smoke and it doesn't leak anywhere ... Trying to figure out where it all is going ...
Unread 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #52
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
50k highway miles, oil changed at 4k intervals. Never wheeled, no short trips.

Started audible knock at startup in the mid 20s, and started burning oil heavily in the mid 40s.

My 2000 4.0 does not consume oil at all compared to this - in 3000 miles since last oil change, I'm only down half of a quart ... and it's dripping from the oil filter. With that said, I was pretty rough on my XJ for a while. 500 miles a week, in the city - start and stop traffic, starting and stopping 100 times a day, and then friday afternoon, I'd be on the highway going 70 for a few hours - that is THE formula for burning oil. Lets not forget that I do wheel it too. I am also running light synthetic oil ... shouldn't that cause the XJ to leak and consume like the exxon?

What gets me is WHERE IS THE OIL GOING? My father has a 2001 Ford Truck and it burns oil - visibly so. When you start it up, there's a blue puff of smoke from the exhaust. If you lug it taking off from a stop light there's a blue puff of smoke.

My old Ford Taurus LEAKED oil. There would be spots.

The JK doesn't take off in a cloud of smoke and it doesn't leak anywhere ... Trying to figure out where it all is going ...
Check around your entire engine. I noticed oil seepage on my timing chain cover right behind the pulleys. But other then that I dont see my oil level dropping that much. I drive my jeep hard. I accelerate hard and brake hard. I will be doing an oil change shortly on the jeep as im coming up to the 3 month mark. I will check how much oil I have an report what I have.

My guess to your oil problem is the motor is just absorbing the oil as it heats up and cools down. Seepage could be your problem. If not then your definitely burning oil probably a little at a time through some misaligned/upside piston rings. I dont burn oil and if I do Im not noticing it.
Unread 05-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #53
mijku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I thought 3.8L were assembled in the Trenton, Michigan plant
mijku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #54
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijku View Post
I thought 3.8L were assembled in the Trenton, Michigan plant
Some were.
In the engine number, S = Saltillo, T = Trenton.

I don't recall anyone finding an S in their engine number, though.
Not many people can find their engine number, either.
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #55
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forewheeler View Post
Why would I feel the need to check my oil between services? I've never had to in the past, even with my other Jeeps. I feel at 24k miles the only thing I should be worried about is keeping steady service intervals.
Not until I hit 24k was anything mentioned. So, somewhere from 20k to 24k my Jeep started consuming oil. My drive hasn't changed (same ole job), I'm not driving any more or less. Am I just supposed to assume I'm consuming/burning/leaking oil from my new Jeep when I leave the lot? Sure, now I do and I'm adding 1 quart per 1000 miles.
My whole point is, not only did I purchase another Jeep because of my past experiences with how tough they are but because it IS a Jeep and it's American. If Chrysler wants to complete (as well as Ford and GM), they have to step up and prove that their products are indeed as good or better then imports.
I took your advice. I looked on other forums (imports) about oil consumption. As I suspected, some do have issues with oil consumption. The difference is, they are experiencing it with much higher mileage. As I may expect if my Jeep were to have 75k + miles.
I'm not trying to slam Jeep. I appreciate you being the great defender of Jeeps. Yes, my Jeep and a limited number of others are unfortunate to have this issue. I just wonder if you were to buy a new Jeep and at 20k you had to start spending even more money adding a quart of oil per 1000 miles, if your tune would change as mine has. Gas is high enough let alone to have to add so much oil.
With that said, where's that consumed oil going? It's turning into sludge and building up in my engine. That can't be good. And when I have a major issue (you and I both know that is going to happen), will Chrysler do something about it or is this going to be a warranty loop hole where I end up floating the bill?
Concerned Jeeper........
It's got to be burned since we aren't finding puddles everywhere. A quart every 1k miles is a LOT of oil.

You've got to check that oil yourself. If you leave it for months at a time, I can guarantee you are going to get, pardon the pun, burned. Check it every fillup or every other. It only takes a minute. I do it routinely while the tank fills and after scrubbing the bugs off the windshield.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #56
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I just keep feeding it oil and waiting for the cats to get clogged up, cause if it isn't going on the ground then............................

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #57
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
Yeah I just keep feeding it oil and waiting for the cats to get clogged up, cause if it isn't going on the ground then............................
try replacing your PCV valve. Cheap, easy, can't hurt.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #58
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah thanks Jiblet. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #59
jericbarg

I was using 1 qt every 800 miles, could not find anything wrong.
While at the dealer buying the famous tcase cable bushings I picked up a PCV Valve $7. Put it on and now 2700 miles later not 1 drop of oil burned.

Try it.

My JK has 43000 miles now.
jericbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #60
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericbarg View Post
I was using 1 qt every 800 miles, could not find anything wrong.
While at the dealer buying the famous tcase cable bushings I picked up a PCV Valve $7. Put it on and now 2700 miles later not 1 drop of oil burned.

Try it.

My JK has 43000 miles now.
I am at 1qt for every 1k miles. You have inspired me to get a new PCV. I will update you after my change.

Dang, all this time and I thought it was the famous Jeep Wave!! ~bluegrassguitar
BlueLesPaul2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.